theRKF

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2002
striderseo.com
State / Prov
DE
Time For Action
In October of 2002 I made a hasty decision. Frustrated with the bland and limited online networking options available to florists, and with 1 day remaining on my FTD membership, I decided to create a place where the colourful personalities of the floral industry could more easily represent themselves while networking with florists around the world.

Over the past 7 years, FlowerChat has grown quickly to become (and remain) the most popular online destination for people in the floral industry. We have growers, wholesalers, florists, wire reps and service providers from all over the world regularly posting, reading and interacting with each other.
FlowerChat has achieved its purpose of hosting industry discussion. But now the time for discussion alone has past. The floral industry needs more than introspection, we need action.

What This Means For FlowerChat

Defining Professional
Many people have tried to define what a professional florist is. In reality, today’s industry encompasses members from all ends of the spectrum: traditional retailers, online marketers, home-based business, freelance artists and students. Add in the emergence of farm direct providers, international wholesalers, online auctions and specialty providers and it quickly becomes clear that this is not the floral industry of past generations. These new business models have made it difficult at times to define who should make up the membership of FlowerChat.

No matter what the industry, professionals from any trade are dedicated to their craft, and invest in their businesses through research, marketing and continuing education. In an effort to advance the cause of the floral industry, and to emphasize the professional nature of FlowerChat we will be implementing some changes and initiating some new activities.

New FlowerChat Membership Structure
Effective immediately, FlowerChat will be moving to a paid membership structure. I know this will come as a shock to many, and it does not come without a significant amount of consideration. My fear is that without taking this step, FlowerChat will forever be a place of discussion until there aren’t enough florists left to have a decent conversation. I have no illusions that everyone will be happy with this decision, but I believe in my heart that this is the right step to take.

By having a paid membership structure, the nature of FlowerChat will become more professional, and this will lead to better conversation. As a member of FlowerChat, you can know that you are involved in a community of people who take their participation in FlowerChat seriously as they have invested time and money to be here.

Membership Tiers
FlowerChat will be offering membership tiers for florists and vendors:
Florist Memberships: (introductory rates)

• Single account – suitable for retail florists, freelancers, online marketers and students
    $100/yr
  • Business account – suitable for retail florists, freelancers, online marketers and students – same access as the single account, but allows unlimited accounts for one business (ex: Business owner, spouse, 2 employees)
    $200/yr
Vendor Memberships:

• Vendor Account – suitable for wholesalers, growers, technology providers, service providers – allows multiple employee accounts (ex: sales / service reps), and special advertising access
    $500/yr

End Of The Vetting Process
The introduction of the paid membership system will also mark the end of the voting in of applicants. Those who wish to join FlowerChat will have to agree to a new Terms of Service clearly defining the qualifications for membership. Those who violate the ToS requirements will be banned without a refund. The combination of ToS and paid membership will act as a deterrent for trolls and hobbyists.

Premium Content
We are not taking this situation lightly. Asking members to adopt a paid subscription model means that we need to renew efforts at providing value. In addition to the improved community experience, we have arranged to begin providing unique content from respected sources. Beginning later this month we will be presenting practical advice articles from Jennifer Laycock (editor of Search Engine Guide and noted Social Media consultant), noted sales trainer Tim Huckabee (Floral Strategies) and award winning floral designer and educator Phil Rulloda. Additional authors will be added throughout the coming months.

More Love
This also means Strider will be able to invest more time and resources in FlowerChat. What started as a whim has grown into a costly and time-consuming – yet infinitely rewarding – project. I am constantly amazed each time we have FC offline even for a few minutes at the number of emails and messages I receive asking when FC will return. Just as FlowerChat has become a part of the daily routine for many of you, the operation of FC has become a major part of our day. While a labour of love, we are also a business that has to balance our resources. Paid memberships will mean a more reliable revenue stream which in turn justifies more investment of time and resources on our part to make the FC experience even better and to recruit more florists to FlowerChat.

What This Means For Florists

A Voice For Florists

FlowerChat needs to evolve into a voice for florists delivering a clear message that buying flowers is a good choice. We are not looking to replace SAF or Flowers Canada, as both organizations fill vital roles in research, monitoring and influencing political policy and assisting members. Our goals will be defined in the areas of marketing florists to consumers, and assisting florists in improving their businesses.

In addition to authoring content for FlowerChat.com, Jennifer Laycock will also be involved in shaping the social media plans and policies for the new marketing initiatives.

Timeline
Here is the projected timeline to implement these changes:
• Jan 5th: Paid memberships now available
• Jan 12th: Free accounts will have reduced accessibility
• Jan 31st: Last day for free access to FlowerChat.com

Housekeeping

Ads-Free Accounts
Members who have paid for an ads-free upgraded account will have their payment credited towards a paid FC membership.

Advertising
The advertising on FlowerChat will be overhauled to primarily feature companies who have purchased a vendor account. We will not longer be displaying affiliate or direct-sell ads, except under special circumstances.

I feel that the time has come to make a decisive move to provide a unified message that is not biased by the sale of collectible containers, shareholders or significant fundraisers. I have no illusions that we can go toe-to-toe with the alleged $40 million advertising budget of FTD, or run Super Bowl ads alongside TF, but with the support of many florists we can be heard, and with combined resources we can make a difference.

So now the ball is in your court. Has FlowerChat provided enough value to you to justify $100/yr? If so, please join with us in moving forward by supporting our work.

Update:
Making the subscription link easier to see: http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/payments.php

Congratulations Ryan et al on all your efforts on our behalf.

Do we get billed when our previous payment is done?

Thanks.

V

Congratulations Ryan et al on all your efforts on our behalf.

Do we get billed when our previous payment is done?

Thanks.

V

Thanks, V :)

If you're set to a previous recurring subscription it should renew automatically.

As you may remember I asked for the yearly non-recurring upgrade - How much more will I need to pay in and by what date to ensure that I remain a valued member of FC?

Hey guys,

I totally agree with the reasoning behind your changes,and wish you all the best in the future. I assume that flowerchat will flourish!

However, as I'm no longer directly involved with the flower industry - and the extent of my visits have been to pop in and say hi - I can't really justify the expense. If you ever decide to add on a free "alumni" type sub forum for general chat without all of the contest bells, whistles, and value - let me know!

Reactions: theRKF and JimW
I just don't remember when I paid for the ad free thing. Because that was a one shot payment how much is credited to the new join fee?

Thanks again, and by the way... in answer to your question... Yes, Flowerchat has provided tremendous value. :)

V (who is frankly glad to not be a "gatekeeper" anymore ;))

Reactions: 2 people
Ryan-
I have two quick questions:
How many employee accounts will be allowed for a Vendor membership?
What form will the "special advertising access" take?

As you may remember I asked for the yearly non-recurring upgrade - How much more will I need to pay in and by what date to ensure that I remain a valued member of FC?

I just don't remember when I paid for the ad free thing. Because that was a one shot payment how much is credited to the new join fee?

Thanks again, and by the way... in answer to your question... Yes, Flowerchat has provided tremendous value. :)

V (who is frankly glad to not be a "gatekeeper" anymore ;))

The annual membership rates are the same as the previous Ads Free rates. As such, your subscriptions will run their full term, until June 2010.

Ricky, you will be notified by email when your current payment is set to expire.

Reactions: Victoria
Ryan-
I have two quick questions:
How many employee accounts will be allowed for a Vendor membership?
What form will the "special advertising access" take?

1) We have a nominal cap of 5-10 accounts per vendor subscription, but that is primarily so that we have a stated number to prevent a company with a few hundred field reps from getting the same access as the other vendors. We are going to be very flexible with this. It's currently a manual process to upgrade the additional accounts anyhow, so I don't see any scenario where DVWF will run into a cap.
2) At this point the ad system will include banner placement on the site and rotating features in the weekly newsletter. We're also considering a few other options (exploring the feasibility of some) and we're certainly open to any and all suggestions.

Congratulations on this new development!

Will Florist 2.0 website owners have access to the F2.0 forums if they opt not to move forward with a paid membership?

Thanks

Congratulations on this new development!

Will Florist 2.0 website owners have access to the F2.0 forums if they opt not to move forward with a paid membership?

Thanks

I hate to ask but i will anyway as i am cheeky but do Strider customers get a discounted rate?

Florist 2.0 clients will still be able to access the F20 support forums, but sorry - no discount on FC membership.

Reactions: anytimeflowers
yes I agree that FC has provided excellent value. I like to think of it in terms of $$ per day. so if you purchase the cheaper one at $100 a year, it breaks down to .27 per day. My question is we should do a poll asking maybe yes or no are you going to continue with FlowerChat. If say over 1/2 the people leave then I don't know if I'd want to fork over the $100 per year. I greatly value the variety of opinions. I'd say right now I'm on the fence, but more leaning towards a yes of staying. This is a legitimate business expense right? Our accountant likes to play very very "safe" and won't let us write off certain things. Also I saw that the $100 might be introductory; I'm guessing that means it'll be increasing. When would that be and any idea of what it would go to?

yes I agree that FC has provided excellent value. I like to think of it in terms of $$ per day. so if you purchase the cheaper one at $100 a year, it breaks down to .27 per day.
Cheap at twice the price, far as I can tell. I have gotten more than one idea from posters here that have made me much more than that amount on an ongoing basis.

My question is we should do a poll asking maybe yes or no are you going to continue with FlowerChat.
Nope, change has come, and we're moving forward. FlowerChat is and will continue to be a force to be reckoned with in the industry. We're very serious about moving forward, growing and doing more for each member of the community, as well as the industry as a whole.

Over the years since FC was begun, many have come, many have gone and more always join up, this will continue to be the case. It's time to get down to business.

One's decision to remain a member should be based on what value they give and receive by being a member here. A poll to nudge someone off the fence isn't a decision making tool.

V

I like to think of it in terms of $$ per day. so if you purchase the cheaper one at $100 a year, it breaks down to .27 per day.
I like that way of looking at it. Five days of FC could buy you one cup of McD's coffee :)

When evaluating this decision, I examined a few different scenarios:
  • As Toto likes to say, $100 is a start towards a nice dinner out
  • $100 = 2 average priced arrangements
  • $100 = 1/25th of 1% of a small florist's COGS
  • $100 = close to the subscription cost of several high-end design magazines

In the end, if your time on FC isn't saving you $100 in COGS, or helping you sell 2 more arrangements in a year ... then it's not worth your time. However, if we are contributing a little bit towards improving your business now, why not support an effort aimed at improving the floral industry?

This is a legitimate business expense right? Our accountant likes to play very very "safe" and won't let us write off certain things.
I like to think we're quite legit :)

Yes, it's certainly a business expense, like association dues, BNI fees, magazine subscriptions - or similar forums in other industries (SEObook.com $300+ / month, SEOmoz $79-$229 / month).

Also I saw that the $100 might be introductory; I'm guessing that means it'll be increasing. When would that be and any idea of what it would go to?

The introductory rate is in place for the next month at least. You're right - it will likely increase in the future, but at this point I feel safe in saying that people who sign up for the intro rate will keep that rate for at least their first renewal as well.