Cool Flower Shop Websites

Cathy, thanks for that link. They carry Mariebelle chocolate, nice. :)

I didn't mean to make it sound like and either or. In reality, the art people, if they have any business sense make more profit and have less headaches. It is so much nicer to make 5 arrangements in a day at $100 when it comes to profit, overhead, employees, hours works, delivery, gas... than it is to make 50 arrangements at $10. To me, it's not rocket Science. Plus to brand your name, your greatest form of advertising, your product, which will pull people to your shop more, the $100 design or the $10?

My point, and I know I have a hard time communicating, was it seems like the two polarized philosophies here on this forum are artist and, maybe I should of used another word than money, something like commodity driven or something like that. I am not trying to paint one better than the other. For the right, it works great for them and their customers. :) Someone far left on the art side goes out of business just as fast as these wholesalers in Miami do on the far right.

JB and I are opposites when it comes to how we do business. Both are successful and I would like to see him do more unique stuff, but that is not what makes him successful.

I see a symbiotic relationship, I need JB to keep doing the FTD style, so people will come to me for something different and he needs me to keep taking risks by putting fruit in my designs to send people to him who like something they can count on to look like something they are comfortable with and safe.

So to all the FTD florists I have bashed, keep up the great work and ty for putting my kids through college! ;)

p.s. - Did anyone catch the subtlety of me putting JB on the right? ;)

Twigs - kewl but very hard to function - add to cart was blocked by the popup blocker and then had to go back thru the flash movie at the beginning just to get back to it, then after it's in the cart - the popup wasn't big enough to see the checkout button.

Yes kewl action on the card deal unfolding and all, but I'd hate to have to rely on it to make a living.

Obviously they don't.

I'm gonna have to agree on bloomz here, the Twig site is pretty but I tried to think like a customer; "I just wanna order some flowers"... and they don't make it easy. If I was in a hurry I'd just leave.

I am told and believe that if I want people to buy online you have to make it simple. So as awesome as those Flash sites look I can't go that route.

I am building a site right now (from a template, not from scratch, God no) and it seems so boooring to have the regular old shopping cart deal right on the front page, yawn!!! I'm hoping if I just keep everything really minimalist looking, stay away from the ugly stuff like Times New Roman font, and get great pics it'll still look modern and pretty.

Reactions: 1 person
Great points about Twigs. After I went back, you are very right. I was too involved in the chocolate and images. :)

I'm going to call them Tue and talk to them.

Thanks for sharing some inspiring sites. I think what makes the last site so great is their images. If I was a customer searching the web, I would be bored with the standard products around and want to see what the florist really has to offer - their creativity.

we've always found that it pays off to invest in photography and a challenge to keep the site fresh.

Brilliant page!

Really appealing!:dearbob:

Sounds great - can't wait to see the list!

Here's one from Boston found by one of our team members. http://www.twigboston.com/ Never heard of the company but they have 4 stores.

Love the 'Cafe' for the Senses' theme and the little section where you can drop an arrangement into a lounge setting. :)

BTW, I don't think art and commerce are mutually exclusive and don't know why it's portrayed as 'either/or'. There are some 'art florists' making some serious $$ - but they do it delivering their own stuff.

I really love the concept of the site, but it is late Friday night and I just could not work the site out!
Confused?

My husband had the same difficulty - he could not work the site first - I had no problem with it at all......

My points exactly - many of these sites, tho beautiful and kewl, and not selling tools.

Imagine if they were like Winstons and had functional ecommerce - then they would be what I consider possible contenders.

The jacobmaarse site is nice, I wish they would get rid of that tacky godaddy image at the bottom.

I'll have my list of about 150 sites that I am researching done in about a month.

This is a new site i found and love it: http://yourweddingday.com

Websites that say FLOWERS!

I've discovered a few new interesting web sites from our fellow florists.
What I find interesting here is that they stand out in a cyber world full of assembly line type websites. It's not that they spent more on their sites, it's that they have put their art out their for the world to see.

The first is from a Brookland based florist. What I find mysterious but compelling with her site is that she draws you in with incredible flower art. Nicolette is unique and organic. What I thought was so great about her web concept was that I had to search for her. And by searching for her I found like I discovered something very precious and rare and well thought by trend setters. I would certainly use her if I needed flowers in NY.
http://nicolettecamille.com/index.html

The next discovery is from a San Francisco based flower shop "ROSE AND RADISH". Other than a flawed gallery page, I think the web site is smashing. If you treat your self by spending the time discovering the site, you will see lots of amazing florals especially on the events page. Make your way to the SHOP page. What I noticed and LOVED is how they describe in detail the flower arrangements offered.
http://roseandradish.com/

Just things to consider.

You find the neatest stuff! It's clear that there may actually be someone here on flowerchat that spends as much time on a computer just having fun as I do.......I think I need a blackberry....it's very Canadian!

Thom, Those sites are great!!!!!

I was ging through Nicolette's site and got side tracked into the "Real Simple" website. Amid their gallery of wedding flowers, I found their "how to make your wedding flowers from grocery store flowers (or similar wording). Well, in addition to the pink carnation bouquet and the bouquet of just gyp, I found this idea for how to make your bouquet from a grocery store mixed bouquet.

Tell me the last time anyone has seen a grocery store bouquet containing spray roses, ranunuculus, freesia and french tulips!?!?!?