Curiouser and curiouser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is it that decided to leave????

Did I miss something???

Ryan, my goal wasn't to stir the pot, but it looks like that's what I've done. I was only making an attempt to explain why some posters are not happy with system and the adjustments.

It's hard to not expect a stirring of the pot with flat-out claims like you made. What kind of reaction did you expect?

Some posters rep powers are awarded periodic adjustments upward, where the others don't have this same opportunity. These adjustments appear to be an attempt to offset the weight that some other high rep posters carry. If a high rep power poster surpasses or threatens to surpass, say an admin, then the admin seems to be awarded more rep power points without acquiring them through the normal process.

I think Bloomzie has an extra tin hat you can borrow. The latest adjustment did not move the admins to 169. That was done a little while ago.

Why do the moderators need to use the reputation system to moderate the boards when they have the ultimate power of locking threads, suspending and/or banning posters if these posters choose to become hostile?

The rep system is used for more than just "atta-boys" and the occasional "you rock." There are other reasons the admins need to carry a certain, measured weight. That said, if the admins were subject to the normal formula Boss & CHR might very well be disproportionately ahead of the pack due to their volume and quality of content.

Here's the point that some of the complainers are missing: Not everything can be done to appease every user. Just like you, as a business owner, have to make decisions based on your best judgement for the benefit of your entire business, not just a single staffer. The admin team tries to balance the long term goals and stability of FlowerChat for the benefit of the entire industry and specifically the membership here - not deal with the occasional wounded ego.

If someone - anyone - wants to leave FC because of a red dot, or a lack of dots, that's about their ego, not the community. It's a "take my ball and go home 'cuz I can't have my way" attitude.

Ryan

Reactions: 2 people
I like dots, they make me feel nice, and if someone has got more dots than me i see it that they have offered more than me, because, they either just have more to offer or have been here longer. Not a problem!!

I think i must have missed something, the hostile bit. I know i am a bit new but i too have come from another board where red dots were the last thing you worried about, it had a playground mob mentality with people who scuttered among themselves, attacked people verbally swearing and did not put their location and hid behind a computer :SUI:

I LOVE FC, and i have got to say, I probably would be upset if someone gave me a red dot because i am that type of person. It would ruin my day because i enjoy it so much. Someone was nasty on here with me once and instead of red dotting them i challenged them in a thread. What i got was a pm back, with links to my website telling me that i was pathetic, counting my posts and telling me my designs were pathetic as well. Saying my floristry was childlike and that no one had any respect for my so many posts, so believe me there are worse than red dots.

What did i do, put them on my ignore list, read some of my green dots to make me feel better and then moved on!!

anyway, ive said it before and i will say it again i love fc:headbang:

Hey and i spoke to jim before in real life, it was surreal, lovely to speak with you jim:thumbsup

Just checked... nope panties not in a twist. The thread was begun out of curiousity, nothing more, nothing less.

If the person who left is the one I'm thinking of, to be honest the posts they made on more than one occasion were mean spirited and generally rude. I'm told that's the demeanor of the individual. Guess what, rude as a behaviour isn't acceptable and can be changed. If he/she has something valuable to add to a discussion it can be given without demeaning others.

To the administrators, yours is a tough job, needed, valuable and appreciated.

V

Reactions: 1 person
It's hard to not expect a stirring of the pot with flat-out claims like you made. What kind of reaction did you
expect?

Ryan, you are right, I can't argue this one.

The rep system is used for more than just "atta-boys" and the occasional "you rock." There are other reasons the admins need to carry a certain, measured weight.

Many think the dots are trivial, but as you said they do have meaning.

Here's the point that some of the complainers are missing: Not everything can be done to appease every user. Just like you, as a business owner, have to make decisions based on your best judgement for the benefit of your entire business, not just a single staffer. The admin team tries to balance the long term goals and stability of FlowerChat for the benefit of the entire industry and specifically the membership here - not deal with the occasional wounded ego.

I can respect that.

I think the departure of this valued poster that everyone is referring to has little to do with dots and everything to do with the continued adjustment of the system.

I'm not trying to stir the pot here, I'm just offering an explanation as to why some members are becoming annoyed with the adjustments to the rep power formula, or the reputation system in general.

Darrell,
I'm glad you said this, Because somehow this got misconstrued as a dot issue and not a rep issue. I was going to post that, but you beat me to it...and you said it much better that I could have. Thanks

The rep system is used for more than just "atta-boys" and the occasional "you rock." There are other reasons the admins need to carry a certain, measured weight. That said, if the admins were subject to the normal formula Boss & CHR might very well be disproportionately ahead of the pack due to their volume and quality of content.

If someone - anyone - wants to leave FC because of a red dot, or a lack of dots, that's about their ego, not the community. It's a "take my ball and go home 'cuz I can't have my way" attitude.

Ryan

Again, It's not over Red dots. If I haven't said it publicly before (and I don't think that I have)...I really do appreciate having a board like this to share ideas and sometimes heartaches with people who care and know what I am going through. THANK YOU...THANK YOU...THANK YOU to Ryan, Cathy, Mark and Mikey (and anyone else that I may have missed) for all the countless hours that you spend on our behalf. I really do appreciate you and your effort! :yourock:

As far as the comment about taking my ball and going home...that is harsh and hurtful. I know who this person is and how willing and able this valuable florist has been not only to our board, but to the industry as well. This florist is always willing to help anyone with questions or time when asked. Feelings are tender...I know that mine are. To those of you (not just Ryan) that have basically said "buck up" or "get thicker skin" or "the points don't really matter", well you aren't in someone else's skin-are you? It's always easier to say how someone else should be feeling when you aren't in their skin! This is not the first time for this to have happened. After a while...some people just get tired of trying of "Pushing the River" and feeling like they are drowning without the life preserver. (really not meaning to sound overly dramatic here.)

I'm one of those that happens to LOVE the Green Dots! I've said it on more than one occasion. I love giving them as much as I love receiving them. I look at them as compliments. In my opinion, nobody EVER recieves too many compliments! Honestly, I don't pay so much attention to how many points that I have. But every time I log on, I look at the top right to see if I have any new rep points or pm's. I give them to the admins as well as everyone else too. Obviously, my vote is to keep the rep system in place and keep the dots. The only time I use the Red dots is when I am voting (or voting no) for a Betty Shop...most know my views on that one. I guess that could be done with a simple "yes or no". So we could do away with the Red dots all together...just keep the Green dots.

I too am confused by all the changes in the rep system...but I am often confused. I agree that you can't please all the people all the time. Just glad that I don't have the job that the admins do.

Here is my suggestion for a change in the dot system....

Change the positives, (instead of green)...I still think they should be....

:wave:pURPLE :wave:

Reactions: 7 people
ROTFLMAO... Here's a big old purple hug for you Twila. :)

V

Tried to give you a purple dot, Twi, but no go. I have to spread it around. Hmmmmpppffff!!

Tried to give you a purple dot, Twi, but no go. I have to spread it around. Hmmmmpppffff!!

Give Twila a purple (or magenta) hug instead... ;)
V

((((((((((Huuuuuuuugggggggggggggg!!!!!!!))))))))))))

Had to throw in a little green too!

I'm with Palms on this one. Having seen how some boards (wherever they are in the world) can deteriorate please please hang on to the fact that FC is one of the NICEST/KINDEST there is. Obviously there will be rucks ... you can't avoid that ... but intrinsictly its a fine model and the work of Ryan et al should be appreciated to the full ... it's not a job I would like and I (as those who know me will confirm) am not afraid to be in the firing line.

As for the person who left ... well I do believe I've met them and can confirm they are a seriously good egg. But from what I can work out the issue was down to politics not floristry ... and as we all know politics is even more dangerous than flowers!!!

C

Red dots really do not carry any weight when given to these particular posters (admins), because the periodic adjustments will always keep them ahead of everyone else. It was disappointing to see certain invulnerable high rep powered posters use their power to threaten vulnerable posters with red dots if they spoke their opinion.
If you are taking about the thread here where I said
This posted in the Design forum. Red dots will be freely handed out to anyone who trolls about design being irrelevant, better off cookie-cutter, nothing but ego, yada yada in this thread. Heard it already ad nauseum. Let's celebrate some great design and great designers.
The 'vulnerable' posters have voiced their opinions about the irrelvance of design ad nauseum - with anonymous red dots being handed out to talented designers for having the gaul to actually be proud of what they're doing for a living. Talk about intimidating the vulnerable....

I think it's sad that such a threat was necessary in the first place and that open hostility to designers, followed with red dots to shut some of those designers up, has been tolerated.

Yes a little bit, but not really that post in particular. I agree though, that there shouldn't be any snide remarks in that particular thread.

BTW, I don't think the poster in question ever mentioned leaving permanently, looking back I think that could be misinterpreted in some of our posts.

You know I think we take this a bit too seriously.

It is a time consuming job to moderate these boards. it is a time consuming job to run this board.

Frankly, it's a bit time consuming to even be on here, let alone paying such close attention to who has what dots, and levels.

Some of us can't manage our own email boxes, let alone everybody's business here.

Let's start relating it to real life: You're driving along, a bit mindlessly(admit it) and you get over in the other guys lane. He blows his horn (posts the opposite opinion) you wave(post back) and move on with your day. Or he flips you off( red dot) you wave(post anyway) or flip him off(red dot back). Now if he he sped off, and doesn't see you flip him off(anonymous red dotter) and you wanted him to know how peeved you are back and now you're annoyed. It does not however stop you from running your errands(or your business), visiting your friends(flowerchat) or really impact your life. Now when you go home, (flowerchat) you have several choices, you can complain about the honker ad tedium,(multiple posts stating how wronged you are) try to remember that flipper's make and model so you can hunt him down(I'll show you a red dot, MISTER!), get all your friends together to be on the lookout for the next wrong and any one who seems like the type (trolling), start working out to get your flipper(red dot trigger) in shape, ('cause he won't get away with it next time) or call the police(admins) and tattle on that @@@@ trolling, loud horned, obnoxious mother of all flippers and teach him the lesson he deserves. You know, just in case they don't have other high crimes and misdemeanors to tend to.

Or you can move on with your day, decide you and your community are above all this, and stay in your own lane.(stay away from politics if your feelings get hurt, and don't read about design if you think it's stupid)

Me, I read it all, laugh at the witty, marvel at the design, get touched by the inpiring, learn from the wise, drive by the stupid, ignore the petty, throw out the junk mail, root for the democrats, and plan to keep pulling in the driveway, 'cause it feels a lot like home. But just in case I ever need it, I'm exercising that flipper--- you just never know when you might get the urge.:>

Reactions: 5 people
The 'vulnerable' posters have voiced their opinions about the irrelvance of design ad nauseum - with anonymous red dots being handed out to talented designers for having the gaul to actually be proud of what they're doing for a living. Talk about intimidating the vulnerable....

I think it's sad that such a threat was necessary in the first place and that open hostility to designers, followed with red dots to shut some of those designers up, has been tolerated.

I sure hope you're not talking about me, tho it seems you are...but if so I'm afraid I'd have to call sheer and utter horsesh*to on that.

Speaking of hostility? :eek:

Never mind - couldn't be me cuz I'm far from what one would call "vulnerable". And I hardly want anyone to shut up. Who would I play point/counterpoint with?

Must be not enuf coffee yet

sorry...carry on.:headbang:

blessings.....

Never mind - couldn't be me cuz I'm far from what one would call "vulnerable".

Point of order - Cathy was quoted someone else's term, IIRC.

thank you - oversensitive without my coffee I guess.

thank you - oversensitive without my coffee I guess.
NP - We all know the only thing you're vulnerable to is a minivan that doesn't agree with stop signs ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.