*Design Competition* Your Best Dozen Roses - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the above post by Master J says it all.........and speaks more loudly and with moe volume than anyone could. He made the arrangement........definitely not a tradtional style of design.....and it SOLD !!!!!

I sold mine the day i made it for £45 ($90)

sorry it was the day after i think.... irelevant i know.. lol

Reactions: 2 people
I sold mine that day I made it.. a customer came in and was looking.. I said well we also have THIS one.. but I have to take a picture of it before you can take it! While I rang it up I explained I was using it to enter a contest.
I put it up on the site this week.. we will see..

Reactions: 1 person
I sold mine the day i made it for £45 ($90)

sorry it was the day after i think.... irelevant i know.. lol

:) Yay you Palms. Well done!

V

CHR- Thank you for the Honorable mention. Does that make me lucky number 13?

Honestly, I had another application for the peace, that from a design standpoint, would have been far more competitive. It just would have been a little too X-rated without a change in the material. The retail aspect held sway.

RC. I love your skill with Hammers and Nails when it comes to hard Wood. Do you do Cabinets?

Where and when did this Shannon person come from? She may love flowers but I think she loves herself more. Someone who strokes themself this much should keep it in the Bedroom.

Ya gotta know me to love me.

Reactions: 3 people
What's not to love Knife? I'm a good designer, that is obvious, and I'm not apologizing for it anymore. I'm also helpful to anyone who asks.
I'm proud of my accomplishments, and I'm not apologizing for them anymore either.
Just in case you didn't know Knife.. Here's a recent list

2007 CRFA Bridal Bouquet 1st place winner.

Flowers& top ten finalist for their annual competition 2008

Colorado Cup Colorado Designer of The Year 1st runner up, plus I was awarded 1st place in the party design category 2008

Zia Cup New Mexico Designer of The Year Winner 2008

Oh yeah and I was one of the winners in the first Flowerchat design competition

I guess here comes some more sour grapes, this time from Mr. Knife .. But whatever.

Had I NOT BEEN A WINNER, I certainly would have not put people down.

Personally I think it's far better to acknowledge my own accomplishments RATHER that TRY to insult others.

Knife, here's a little sugar:blowkiss: for your grapes, maybe they'll go down smoother..

And sorry girls... I tried REALLY hard not to beat the horse, But I couldn't let Mr. Knife slap me around that way. A girl can only take so much.

CHR- Thank you for the Honorable mention. Does that make me lucky number 13?

Honestly, I had another application for the peace, that from a design standpoint, would have been far more competitive. It just would have been a little too X-rated without a change in the material. The retail aspect held sway.

RC. I love your skill with Hammers and Nails when it comes to hard Wood. Do you do Cabinets?

Where and when did this Shannon person come from? She may love flowers but I think she loves herself more. Someone who strokes themself this much should keep it in the Bedroom.

Ya gotta know me to love me.

I think you mean piece. As in piece of...... um, art.

sorry just couldn't help myself.

Must have incorporated a Ladie's Home Companion I'm guessing.

Shannon, Shannon, Shannon. I was not referring to your ability as a Designer. Nor, did I concern myself with any accomplishments you achieved in that regard. Neither did I express an opinion on the merits of your work. I did not even take part in the Judging of the entries. As far as I am concerned, I am just a neutral observer in the whole affair. My only interest is what can be gleamed from the entries in the way of adapting them for the sole purpose of making money.

I am well aware that my entry was not "artsy" in the true meaning of the term. However, the "contest" and the "rules" did not suggest that "Art" was the sole criteria for the entry.

If I were to self criticize my entry, I would have eliminated all but one set of Beargrass loops because it would have made the Heart shape they were made in more pronounced. But live and learn I guess.

My post was addressing what I read as someone who has an ego larger than the buildings Florists have to contain it within. An ego, as a Business person, I have found to be a most poisonous thing to have to contain. Not to mention the suffering co-workers are subjected to. I know of these things because I have had to deal with the likes of you on numerous occasions in my 40 years from Gofer to Owner. Usually the relationships ended when someone who they "feel" is beneath them, is upset when their creation is not allowed out the door. I have even had Applicants with the alphabet soup of letters after their name refuse a position with the Company, simply because they were unwilling to accept my ultimate authority. However, I would ,from time to time, find some humor in the tales of competitors who did employ them.

Despite the lack letters after my own name, I've still managed to teach sound mechanical skills to any number of Individuals who had an inherent creative ability, who my competitors were more than happy to hire away. Be it for more Money or tiring of the exacting standards we held them to. Yet, there have been several who have come back and been Man/Woman enough to admit to their realization that the Grass is seldom Greener on the other side. While others managed to go off on their own and appreciate how what they learned served them so well.

Now I understand that every "Designer/Artist" needs to have their ego stroked from time to time. I just leave the stroking to the recipient of the flowers to do that. It is not the I,I,I, Me,Me,Me, but the They,They,They, that are the true measure of ones worth and deserving of praise.

Every order a shop may receive is a "contest" in and of itself. The request itself are the "Rules" with each recipient being the Judge. Payment is the reward for the effort. Complaints represent nothing more than a lack of understanding the "Rules" in the first place.

Despite your lofty implication of lack of "Art" within my entry, I am quite pleased with just the "honorable mention" as it were. It really just reinforced the motive I had in placing the entry in the first place. Stroking my ego just fine.

Reactions: 2 people
Shannon, Shannon, Shannon. I was not referring to your ability as a Designer. Nor, did I concern myself with any accomplishments you achieved in that regard. Neither did I express an opinion on the merits of your work. I did not even take part in the Judging of the entries. As far as I am concerned, I am just a neutral observer in the whole affair. My only interest is what can be gleamed from the entries in the way of adapting them for the sole purpose of making money.

I am well aware that my entry was not "artsy" in the true meaning of the term. However, the "contest" and the "rules" did not suggest that "Art" was the sole criteria for the entry.

If I were to self criticize my entry, I would have eliminated all but one set of Beargrass loops because it would have made the Heart shape they were made in more pronounced. But live and learn I guess.

My post was addressing what I read as someone who has an ego larger than the buildings Florists have to contain it within. An ego, as a Business person, I have found to be a most poisonous thing to have to contain. Not to mention the suffering co-workers are subjected to. I know of these things because I have had to deal with the likes of you on numerous occasions in my 40 years from Gofer to Owner. Usually the relationships ended when someone who they "feel" is beneath them, is upset when their creation is not allowed out the door. I have even had Applicants with the alphabet soup of letters after their name refuse a position with the Company, simply because they were unwilling to accept my ultimate authority. However, I would ,from time to time, find some humor in the tales of competitors who did employ them.

Despite the lack letters after my own name, I've still managed to teach sound mechanical skills to any number of Individuals who had an inherent creative ability, who my competitors were more than happy to hire away. Be it for more Money or tiring of the exacting standards we held them to. Yet, there have been several who have come back and been Man/Woman enough to admit to their realization that the Grass is seldom Greener on the other side. While others managed to go off on their own and appreciate how what they learned served them so well.

Now I understand that every "Designer/Artist" needs to have their ego stroked from time to time. I just leave the stroking to the recipient of the flowers to do that. It is not the I,I,I, Me,Me,Me, but the They,They,They, that are the true measure of ones worth and deserving of praise.

Every order a shop may receive is a "contest" in and of itself. The request itself are the "Rules" with each recipient being the Judge. Payment is the reward for the effort. Complaints represent nothing more than a lack of understanding the "Rules" in the first place.

Despite your lofty implication of lack of "Art" within my entry, I am quite pleased with just the "honorable mention" as it were. It really just reinforced the motive I had in placing the entry in the first place. Stroking my ego just fine.

Is somebody a Mr. Cranky pants??? Here's some flowers for you :bouquet2:

I've been told by 3 (so far) very respected FC members to blow you off because this is what you do.

You apparently have me in your sites for a FC pissing match, and I will not humor you anymore...

Say what ever else you'd like to about me. I do not care. I know who I am. I know what I can and can't do.

People who know me and have worked with me know my heart and how I am.

So say what you will, say it as often as you'd like and to whom ever will listen to you.

This will be my last response to you, ever.

Geez, I ate all my popcorn already...does anybody have any more? ;)

Geez, I ate all my popcorn already...does anybody have any more? ;)

I would like to call a halt to this thread.

This thread contains posts by some really great people who have very strong personalities. But, I respect every one of them. I think they would all like each other if they met in person. Sometimes, we lose something in the non face to face posting.

Carol Bice

This is too funny.

I think that Carol is correct, this thread has gotten quite ugly at time.

Think of the person innocent bystander that is reading this thread, wanting to join our profession, who used to think how nice their local florist is....

In my many years of calling this my "profession" (ie, think professional)
I truly believe that most of us florist are about the nicest folk on the planet. We give freely of our ideas, share our business practices, and are kind and generous to a fault.....

What we basically do, is to take our clients money and interpret their emotions and feelings into floral designs. How lucky are we???????????

As far as "stoking" the artist in me. It gets stoked when I bring tears to my client's eyes, because they are so happy of what I have created for them. I am very blessed that this happens often.....

Darrel it won't work because the four deleted letters spell s h * t (with an i instead of the asterick). ;) It's a very odd picture.

V

Status
Not open for further replies.