*Design Competition* Your Best Dozen Roses - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the key here is a horse is unncessarily being beaten and flogged. Poor horse

We all have different ways of thinking, some think like a designer, some like a business person and some have a mix of both.

If someone doesnt agree with you it doesnt mean they dont understand you, it just means they dont hold the same opinion. That does not make their opinion or yours wrong, just different. There is a difference in having an opinion and being opinionated.

If I could dot you again I most certainly would!

V

I think the key here is a horse is unncessarily being beaten and flogged. Poor horse

We all have different ways of thinking, some think like a designer, some like a business person and some have a mix of both.

If someone doesnt agree with you it doesnt mean they dont understand you, it just means they dont hold the same opinion. That does not make their opinion or yours wrong, just different. There is a difference in having an opinion and being opinionated.
This is the thing....

Principals and elements of design are not my opinion. I didn't fully understand what that meant for a long long time. It just didn't click with me.

Then there is art... art is subjective, it doesn't neccessarily follow the same principals as DESIGN does. That also is not my opinion.

Then if something is pretty or not to me that is my opinion.

Poor horse.

;) Palms, thanks for that visual.

V

I'm am curious if anyone else here had the same thinking I had when deciding what to do for this design competition.

While I am well aware of what is important in a typical design competition, this competition threw off my thinking from the typical competition. This is why, when you enter a design competition you are competiting for a Cup, a Ribbon, Money etc. But this struck me as different the prize was to be your arrangement featured in a online article with a link to your website so that you could sell it. It heavily influenced what I chose to do as business, saleability and the ability for any one of my designers to be able to duplicate the design in my absence play a huge part in my design.

I am not trying to argue or disbute anyone or any rules or any anything here so don't get carried away with thinking to deep. I really truely am wondering if I am the only one who took these things into consideration when deciding?

So can we have a casket spray competition??

Joan
to answer your question Joan,
No I didn't think that way. I didn't give my design much thought at all really, and I didn't think about anyone reproducing it either.
But your point is a way good point.
I like that thinking..

Reactions: 1 person
I remember learning all that principles, elements etc etc at college and now that I think of it, I dont really know if i got it or not lol, I always go by if something looks right then its right, I suppose usually that does mean that it is visually balanced etc but I dont think to myself, now has my design got this that and the other, maybe if i took more notice then my designs would improve, dont really know :dunno:

flogging%20dead%20horse.jpg

Reactions: 6 people

I think this horse has not only been beaten and flogged, but it has also been drug behind the cart for sometime as well. Maybe we should also drag the two bantering Jockies along with it!!! Perhaps they will have a bit more sympathy for this poor, sweet, beautiful horse--the one that so many of us love!

We get it...neither one of you are going to budge. Enough Already!!! Can you both say "Truce"?!@#%&*?!

Reactions: 7 people
A case of two "seasoned florists" with different viewpoints. Both are good examples of assute business sense, and eye for details.

Win, place and show....its done!

Congrats to all who participated, and the 12 that placed. I hope to see another one real soon...get it going CHR!

I think this horse has not only been beaten and flogged, but it has also been drug behind the cart for sometime as well. Maybe we should also drag the two bantering Jockies along with it!!! Perhaps they will have a bit more sympathy for this poor, sweet, beautiful horse--the one that so many of us love!

We get it...neither one of you are going to budge. Enough Already!!! Can you both say "Truce"?!@#%&*?!
Who me???

I didn't realize I was in an argument.. but Ok

sheesh... sorry for trying to help....

Tried to give the ole green dot, but gotta spread some around, and I've already given several during this thread!

I want to say more, but surely the horse should be dead by now.

Reactions: 2 people
Luckily I was not here to see the horse die....infact I didn't even see it run....hahaha:franky:And I had to put "FRANKY" here in the picture because I not only thought it was very funny but appropriate for right about now:)

How about a Halloween arrangement contest? We don't sell much fresh arrangement for Halloween, but it would put us in the mood.

Shannon, it wasn't your fault, I would love to hear more about Hitomi's mechanics!

Trish

Reactions: 1 person
I think that would be a great idea.....at a previous shop I was at, Halloween was categorized as an impulse holiday......people would not call and specifically ask for a Halloween theme arrangement, but if they called for birthday, get well, or any generic occasion and we suggested a cute and fun Halloween theme arrangement.....they would go fo it.

There is already one cute Halloween theme design in the Kansas City Here We Come social group.

I love the idea of a Halloween arrangement contest!! That would be fun!!

Whaddya mean? This stuff is as fun as the competition itself was!:hammer:

It's refreshing to see someone arguing without me being one of them.

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.