Not open for further replies.

Palms

Apr 1, 2008
Widnes
www.about-flowers.co.uk
State / Prov
cheshire
Could anyone help?

I have a site by strider which i am so pleased with. I come up at the top of google just under the sponsored listings for flowers widnes and florist widnes and have been told that the search engines seem to love my site. So happy with that.

I have put lots of products on there and i think that its quite clear how to use the site.

I am in a town of 60,000 and am the only florist that has a website, let alone an ecommerce site so you would think that i should clean up!!

But, i am not getting the online orders. If anyone has five minutes spare i would love you to look at my site and let me know if you think anything would put you off buying online, or any tips on how to get more people ordering. The more specific you are the better for me as i am not very techy.

Ryan has looked into my traffic and it seems that most people are looking for event work, it shows they convert as i do get a lot of event work from the web and also a lot of weddings. I also get a lot of phone orders but they are just not clicking order online.

WHy why why why, i have to put it to all you as i picture Ryan banging his head against a brick wall in his office every time i send him a message and i suspect Jim has probably turned to drink since i signed up....

Please help!!

(you think Jim is drinking now, wait till I start working on mine) :hammer:

Seriously though, I have bunches of people that look at the site and then call....some just want that personal touch of a voice. Some in a hurry...some not.??

Paula,
I think the site looks good, the only concern is that the pictures look a bit dreary...any way to punch up the color on them....I love the black bacground of the site, but I think you need som really really colorful pictures to catch peoples attention...Other than that the site looked fine to me, easy to use and understand...

You may want to try7 out get clicky.com and see what people are doing on there once they do get there...

Paula,
I think the site looks good, the only concern is that the pictures look a bit dreary...any way to punch up the color on them....I love the black bacground of the site, but I think you need som really really colorful pictures to catch peoples attention...Other than that the site looked fine to me, easy to use and understand...

You may want to try7 out get clicky.com and see what people are doing on there once they do get there...
#
Thanks Lori, which pics do you refer to so i can go and look or is it a general feel??

I appreciate all feedback so bring it on... (she says hiding in the corner and covering ears). No please seriously do!!

You may want to try out get clicky.com and see what people are doing on there once they do get there...

We've actually gone a step further with Paula's site, and are using ClickTale to record the actual user visit, including mouse movements, clicks, hovers, heatmaps.

They hit her site and go straight for the event related info pages and galleries. Seems like Widnes is a party town ;)

Ryan

Reactions: Palms
Kewl

Agreed, people see the site and call, partly to make sure its in stock I suppose. I think your site is great. And lookie, theres the hand tied spiral bouquet we've all been bantering about on here. Perfectly presented on Palms site! I say, be patient Grasshopper, they will order online more often sooner than you think!

Reactions: 1 person
Well maybe it is a indication you need to go more depth into a party site.

THe other thing with my site is that not all people will order online. They do their browsing and then phone. I think it is to do with the credit card thing. They feel better talking to someone than placing the order online.

Because of my point of sale system, I have taken the habit to ask people if they have ordered with us before. THis way I can process their order from aprevious order or if they tell me no, then that is my way in to find out how did they find me out, if they know about my site or I am able to give them my toll free number for future orders.

Also I found that it took a while for people to use the site. You may get more traffic at holiday time then during the week.

Luc

WHy why why why, i have to put it to all you as i picture Ryan banging his head against a brick wall in his office every time i send him a message and i suspect Jim has probably turned to drink since i signed up....
Sorry, but I beat you to that years ago....

Seriously though, as you stated, your the only Ecom game in town, maybe, just maybe you're ahead of the curve and the customers are not ready to click through yet.

What does your answering machine message say? Do you direct them to your website if they call after hours? Or do you have a service to take those calls. We get quite a few after hours orders b/c they are directed there after first calling and getting our evening voice mail greeting with options to order/hours/leave msg, etc. And we are even open very early and very late (7am-8pm).

After a quick glance of a weeks orders (3/10 to 3/17) we average about 1 out 8 internet orders per day, after hours

#
Thanks Lori, which pics do you refer to so i can go and look or is it a general feel??

I appreciate all feedback so bring it on... (she says hiding in the corner and covering ears). No please seriously do!!

The general feel....The contrast between the black background and the photos make the photos just seem dull...The photos themselves are not bad at all, just a contrst issue between the black and the photos...

If most people are beelining to your event page work on that part...or promote your website more to flower people, put that url on everything printed, put it in your window and on your van...make it part of who you are everyday..

I don't even know if I looked at the right site, I seem to remember it different, Instead of order, maybe buy now, also , I seen this header how to order on your site, at the top, maybe to much work to do the flower thing with you??? That is my take, but hey, that was just my thought??

be patient- remember to put the web address EVERYWHERE.. it takes a while for people to get into a new habit. (especially if you are the first in your town to have a site--I am too)
I'm going to get a coupon made up offering a small discount for online orders and give them to everyone who comes in or that I deliver to- sometimes a little encouragement helps a lot!
I have also found lots of people looking at the site and then calling. sometimes I'm disappointed that they don't order online, but they wouldn't be calling in the first place if I didn't have a nice website:)

I don't know about her actual site, but I do feel that those of us who think people are calling us based on our website are missing the faction of people that won't call, at least in the US I feel this, dunno about the UK.

I think Goldie just found it - malfunctioning Go button - easy to fix I imagine.

If I have to log in to a site (create an account) to buy) it best be the only site that's selling that item or I always go elsewhere, and I buy about everything on the internet.

My cart has the ability to do logins (address books order tracking and all that associated stuff) and I choose not to use it after studying useability...nearly the same reason I don't use coupon codes on my checkout form.

Here's a great study on useability regarding this matter:

http://www.uie.com/articles/three_hund_million_button

So I chose not to even give customers the option to log in and be frustrated by forgotten passwords and the like.

I consider useability studies at least as important as, and maybe more so than SEO.

I spent an evening studying it and made a very simple change to my site (different from the one we're speaking of above), which increased my online orders by about 30% overnight.

and no I am not going to say what it was...sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.