Not open for further replies.

theRKF

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2002
striderseo.com
State / Prov
DE
So, the topic of Politics has reared it's ugly head again. A recent poll showed board members are overwhelmingly in favour of keeping the political forum open. Those opposed to the forum, while being a minority, are still raising very insightful concerns - ones that I think may have some truth to them.

With that in mind, I do not want to start closing every forum that generates a little heat (no matter it's topic or content). I have in mind a solution that I hope will aid in pacifying everyone involved. I have created a new Public Usergroup for people who want to participate in the Politics section. Two days from now, I will remove access to the politics forum for anyone who has not joined the new Usergroup.

How do you join a Usergroup? Simple!
1) Click on the User CP link from the left side of the top menu bar.
2) In the Control Panel column down the left side choose Group Memberships from the Miscellaneous section.
3) Click on Join Group to join the Political usergroup.

That's it! You will now have access to the Politics Forum. Those who don't join will never know it's there.

Ryan

Great idea Ryan, that's exactly what they did with the motorcycle forum I participate on - it got hot so they made it so you have to join the user group to see it. Funny thing was, as soon as they did it they had like 200 members the first day, so if possible do let us know how many sign up.
thanks

Infinite said:
So, the topic of Politics has reared it's ugly head again. A recent poll showed board members are overwhelmingly in favour of keeping the political forum open. Those opposed to the forum, while being a minority, are still raising very insightful concerns - ones that I think may have some truth to them.

Good idea, Ryan. Frank's comments were enough to make me re-evaluate how I felt about the areas. I'd rather joke with the gang in chat than have my bp go through the roof. I'll pass, thanks for keeping the option there though.

Audra

Thank you Ryan,

You have a good head on your shoulder and I appreciate you listening to everyone concerns, minority and majority.

I hope no ones think I am a very bad bad person for voicing htis concern. THis world is ugly enough these days, the lest we have to see at times is better.

For those who will participating in this forum, have fun.

Luc

Great Idea Ryan!

Ryan, thank you for listening and acting upon the concerns of your "long-time" members. I was getting worried about this board but now my faith in its purpose and usefulness is renewed.

Luc, thank you for being brave enough to suggest what we know many of us boardies were thinking. You have now made Flower Chat a better place!

Welcome!
Luc

It won't make any difference in a couple of weeks

Just my 2 cents... The area below is clearly marked politics. Like all the other areas on this chat board, it is clearly marked and each reader has the option to open that door or pass it by. If you choice to open that door, you still have the option to post a reply. Nothing makes you do it. It is always your choice and you always have a choice on how you respond to someones comments, no matter how much you disagree with them.

You will always have people posting on this board talking about how great THEIR wire service is or how great THEIR sending system is or how great something is that others will disagree with. It has never been necessary to "close" anyone of the other doorways on these subjects because the passion doesn't run that deep on any of them other than politics. And a couple of weeks from now after the elections, all this rethoric will die away and we will all be going back to talking about the same old DRY subjects of wires services and sending systems. If you think there is alot of interest in THOSE subjects now, please take a look at all the entries on all these other subjects on this board that have gone without further discussion over the last week or two. Politics is the HOT subject in this country right now. I just can't figure why it is necessary to "isolate" a few people on a subject that another few fell is inappropriate. It is like the story of one old lady that was talking to her friend and telling her that she did like her church anymore. "Why is that?", asked her friend. Because I don't like the messages the minister is giving us in his sermons every week, she replied. The friend told her that maybe it was time to go to another church. The old lady replied that she really liked her minister and she really liked her church. I just don't like the sermons. Her friend replied, sorry but it is all part of the package.

Griff said:
Just my 2 cents... The area below is clearly marked politics. Like all the other areas on this chat board, it is clearly marked and each reader has the option to open that door or pass it by. If you choice to open that door, you still have the option to post a reply. Nothing makes you do it. It is always your choice and you always have a choice on how you respond to someones comments, no matter how much you disagree with them.

You will always have people posting on this board talking about how great THEIR wire service is or how great THEIR sending system is or how great something is that others will disagree with. It has never been necessary to "close" anyone of the other doorways on these subjects because the passion doesn't run that deep on any of them other than politics. And a couple of weeks from now after the elections, all this rethoric will die away and we will all be going back to talking about the same old DRY subjects of wires services and sending systems. If you think there is alot of interest in THOSE subjects now, please take a look at all the entries on all these other subjects on this board that have gone without further discussion over the last week or two. Politics is the HOT subject in this country right now. I just can't figure why it is necessary to "isolate" a few people on a subject that another few fell is inappropriate. It is like the story of one old lady that was talking to her friend and telling her that she did like her church anymore. "Why is that?", asked her friend. Because I don't like the messages the minister is giving us in his sermons every week, she replied. The friend told her that maybe it was time to go to another church. The old lady replied that she really liked her minister and she really liked her church. I just don't like the sermons. Her friend replied, sorry but it is all part of the package.

I agree Griff. Well stated, as usual.

V

My sentiments exactly.
The Politics forum is clearly marked, just like every other forum here.
If you go in, is because you want to go in. No one is forcing you.
It makes some sense with something like the Advantage users support forum, because maybe FTD does not want others to see what problems they are having with their software and having an open door policy would not be beneficial to their marketing efforts. But nobody is selling anything in the Politics forum. You already had the choice of going in and participating in the discussions, just reading the posts and simply not going in at all.
So Audra, explain to me what the difference is between what is being implemented now and you simply not going into the politics forum to look at the messages?
Are we now forcing others to join the forum so that you won't have to make that choice?

Huh?

George Simon said:
So Audra, explain to me what the difference is between what is being implemented now and you simply not going into the politics forum to look at the messages?
Are we now forcing others to join the forum so that you won't have to make that choice?

None. I merely said that I wasn't going to read it. I don't understand what you're implying, George. Are you saying that you think my comments about re-evaluating my choice to not frequent the politics forum made Ryan decide to change policies?

Audra

Well, you said:
Good idea, Ryan. Frank's comments were enough to make me re-evaluate how I felt about the areas. I'd rather joke with the gang in chat than have my bp go through the roof. I'll pass, thanks for keeping the option there though.
so I'm asking you to explain to me why you think that forcing others to join a forum, so that those who don't like what is being said there don't have to make the choice of going in or not, is a good idea.

I don't think anyone has to justify their answers or reason to why they will or not frequent this section of the board. and to anyone on this board.

Luc

George Simon said:
Well, you said:
so I'm asking you to explain to me why you think that forcing others to join a forum, so that those who don't like what is being said there don't have to make the choice of going in or not, is a good idea.

*sigh* It's not my board, George, so in the long run it doesn't matter what I think about the policy. It's Ryan's opinion that counts. Luc said I don't owe you an explanation on my opinion. He's right, it's only my opinion but I'll give you one because I don't want anyone to think I'm ignoring the question.

I think it's a good policy because it a) allows people who want to frequent the politics section to do so and (b) it keeps it out of the eyes and ears of the people who don't want to see it.

Audra

I just want to know why a two day time limit? Why any limit? Why shut out new members who sign up after Friday?

I think having the choice to select the forum is the way to go not just shutting out everyone who choses not to update their user CP by friday.

JMHO

Blue Oyster Cult said:
I just want to know why a two day time limit? Why any limit? Why shut out new members who sign up after Friday?

I think having the choice to select the forum is the way to go not just shutting out everyone who choses not to update their user CP by friday.

JMHO
Blue,

You misunderstod. The two day limit applies to normal registered users. On Friday I will change the access priviledges so that only members of the Politics usergroup can access the politics forum. This gives people two days to catch up on what's going on and to decide if they want to join the new group.

If you haven't joined, after Friday you will not see the politics posts any more.

Ryan

George,

The reason for the optional segregation of the Politics forum is that this is primarily an "Online Floral Community." Community, yes, so there will be discussion and disagreement, but it's a Floral forum first and foremost. I will not parcel off floral related topics that create controversy, but since Politics is secondary to the nature of this board I feel well justified in doing so.

Ryan

George, some things are better kept "behind doors."

George, Let me give you my reason why I think Ryan is making a good and beneficial decision. After I first log into Flower Chat, the first tab I almost always click on (and I suspect many other fellow boardies do as well) is the "New Posts" tab. After clicking on this tab, you see the "title" of many political posts, many saying defamatory things that can be offensive to others. It is right in your face. By making the politics section a different area that you cannot see simply by clicking on "New Posts", he, wisely, is keeping the political in-fighting out of main view. Those that want to attack each other can now do it "out-of-the-mainstream", thereby keeping those highly-charged opinions "behind electronic doors." Like Ryan (THE CREATOR) said, this is a "Floral Forum First."

Luc said:
I don't think anyone has to justify their answers or reason to why they will or not frequent this section of the board. and to anyone on this board.

Luc
That's not what I asked.

See what I mean

Even the debating of a political forum, not to mention politics is causing "issues"....

Nah..nevermind... I'm taking my behind outa here....

Status
Not open for further replies.