Proflowers counter attacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac

Jun 11, 2007
Angels Camp
State / Prov
Ca
Folks, Proflowers has launched a counter attack SEO tactic that is just now beginning to filter through the different data centers. It is a Proflowers commercial and it is currently ranking 4th right below our video in many of the data centers but not the main index (ranking 31st). We should start to see it rank high in the main Google index real soon.

What does this mean?

It means they are attempting to push our video down. How can we react? We can react by anchor-texting (as "proflowers") other websites that support our effort.

Our options are:

1) Anchor text boss's webpage to rank higher (with his approval of course).
2) Anchor text Ryan's page that he recently created for the Dig effort.
3) Anchor text my News Brief on the situation. It currently ranks 11th in MSN for the search term "proflowers".

In my opinion, which is only an opinion, we may want to make 3 teams and and each team anchor-texts to its designated webpage.

Something tells me it's going to get real crowded on that page.

They've set up a similar page like Ryan's flowerchat page here http://www.youtube.com/user/neuroplexus and anchor-texted a link to the actual video to legitimize their efforts.

This is how the top 10 search results are showing right now various Google data centers:

1. Proflowers.com
2. Cheap flowers and discount flowers delivered from ProFlowers.com
3. YouTube - Unboxing of ProFlowers
4. YouTube - ProFlowers
5. Proflowers Coupons - Dealcatcher
6. ProFlowers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
7. ProFlowers, Minneapolis, MN, 55439 - YELLOWPAGES.COM
8. ProFlowers.com vs Florists
9. Proflowers Coupons and Proflowers Discount Coupon Codes
10. ProFlowers.com Coupons - Pro Flowers Free Online Coupon Codes

Karma, irony ... or the importance of owning the first comment on a video?

We can also respond "socially" rather than trying to meet force with force.

Everyone who has a YouTube account that does not sound like a flower shop, post a negative comment on the video of the ProFlowers commercial. If they succeed in ranking the video high enough to matter, we can own the reviews.

Ryan

Attachments

• proflowers - Google Search.png
    proflowers - Google Search.png
    67 KB · Views: 48
Sweet! Someone just posted a doozie of a review.

Am I commenting on the MD ad?

V

OK, now let's make it simple, PLEASE

If you guys want a lot of us to do something, then tell us what to do in plain and simple terms. Pardon my ignorance, but do you think all of us know what SEO is?

What do each of us do to be "anchor-texting" other websites.

What are your "three teams" supposed to do? Am I supposed to be volunteering to be on a team?

How do I respond "socially" in Wisconsin.

Should I get a YouTube account?
Where, when & how do I do that?
How do I make it "not sound like a flower shop"?

What made Bloomz' post a "doozie of a review"?

Come on you Internet Techies, don't assume all of us know what you are talking about. Keep all of us informed and aware and maybe, just maybe, we can accomplish what ever it is that you think can be done..

I am sure I am not the only Dummie Internet Florist.

Tom Carlson

ps I must be doing a couple things right. My website conversion rate of "unique hits" to real orders was 7.9% for January and I am not sure how I did it. I hear that 2 to 4% coversion is normal.

And my flower shop sales were up substantially for January. If I told you the percentage, you would not believe it, so we will just leave it as substantial.

Reactions: 1 person
Hi Tom, my post was simply meant to generate possible *ideas* of tactical moves. More like thinking out loud and getting the groups thoughts on a possible plan of action. If one is created I'm sure a more detailed plan of action will be set forth.

I didn't notice it before, but there are actually three different commercial videos located here http://www.youtube.com/user/neuroplexus . All three of them are anchor-texted in such a fashion as they have been optimized to come up for the term "proflowers."

I think the strength behind our video is strong enough to keep it above their attempts. We have a lot of quality websites linking to it from homepages.

One thing is for sure, we got their attention.

I saw these last year--it looks more like an aggressive Proflowers affiliate than PF themselves. I was able to find links to these videos on splog posts with PF affiliate links in them.

I love the first comment Ryan pointed out--similar comments should be added to the other videos.

Interesting, when the search page count is changed from 10 per page to 50 per page the video commercial is present in the main Google index 4th. Click here if the link is working http://www.google.com/search?as_q=proflowers&hl=en&rls=GGLG%2CGGLG%3A2007-51%2CGGLG%3Aen&num=50&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&cr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images

I wonder if we have a PF affiliate among us? The similarity to Ryan's proflower page setup is awful similar.

Tom - you can see an example of anchor text link in Eric's signature where the underlined word proflowers (the anchor text is the part you see and click on) actually links not to proflowers but to the video about proflowers. Behind the scenes in the code is the actualy url (address, short for Universal Resource Locator) where clicking that word will take you.

Here's another definition:

<B>
Definition of Anchor Text

Anchor text refers to the text that composes a link to another web page or resource. In the HTML link example that follows,
<a href="http://www.example.com">My Example</a>​
The words "My Example" are the anchor text.
Search engines often look at anchor text to determine what the link is about and thus infer the subject of the site to which the link points. It is widely believed that placing keywords in anchor text helps search engine ranking.

Hope this helps!

PS However, having it here in your signature wouldn't be of any help because of this being a closed board, I think. It needs to be on your public website so the search engines can readily find and index it.

I hear you, Tom!

If you guys want a lot of us to do something, then tell us what to do in plain and simple terms. Pardon my ignorance, but do you think all of us know what SEO is?

What do each of us do to be "anchor-texting" other websites.

What are your "three teams" supposed to do? Am I supposed to be volunteering to be on a team?

How do I respond "socially" in Wisconsin.

Should I get a YouTube account?
Where, when & how do I do that?
How do I make it "not sound like a flower shop"?

What made Bloomz' post a "doozie of a review"?

Come on you Internet Techies, don't assume all of us know what you are talking about. Keep all of us informed and aware and maybe, just maybe, we can accomplish what ever it is that you think can be done..

I am sure I am not the only Dummie Internet Florist.

Tom Carlson

ps I must be doing a couple things right. My website conversion rate of "unique hits" to real orders was 7.9% for January and I am not sure how I did it. I hear that 2 to 4% coversion is normal.

And my flower shop sales were up substantially for January. If I told you the percentage, you would not believe it, so we will just leave it as substantial.

I feel your pain, and you are most definitely not the only Dummie Internet Florist. One problem is that "simple" to us is not the same as "simple" to these techies around here. The words they use are recognizable, but not understandable in their context, at least not to us DIFs.

I started to say that reading some of these posts is like reading a scientific manual, but it's worse than that because a scientific manual would use many words that we do not understand, cannot pronounce, and never heard before. The terms used by computer folks are pronounceable, and we've heard them many times. We simply cannot understand them in their present context.

But I keep reading every one of these posts anyway with the sincere hope that the fog in my brain is clearing a bit with each reading.:dunno:

Well said, connie...I read the tech posts until my eyes bleed, but always leave saying wow they really can do alot on this computer stuff, but all the while not understanding half of what I've read.

All I do understand is that most of the stuff that is done TF will probably nix quickly so i don't even want to bother.

Hi Tom, my post was simply meant to generate possible *ideas* of tactical moves. More like thinking out loud and getting the groups thoughts on a possible plan of action. If one is created I'm sure a more detailed plan of action will be set forth.

Ditto to what Mac said - brainstorming first, form a plan, give clear instructions. We don't need to start acting immediately without having a clear direction.

Mac said:
Interesting, when the search page count is changed from 10 per page to 50 per page the video commercial is present in the main Google index 4th. Click here if the link is working http://www.google.com/search?as_q=pr...s=&safe=images

I wonder if we have a PF affiliate among us? The similarity to Ryan's proflower page setup is awful similar.

Mac, this is called "nesting." When two pages from the same domain appear on one SERP they are bunched together, even if the ranking of the second is much lower.

It's quite common to see: search for ipods and you'll probably see apple.com/itunes as the first entry and apple.com/ipodclassic as the second. The second entry may be actually ranked 8th or 9th ... but since it's on the same page as the first, they are grouped.

Since both competing videos are from youtube.com they are grouped when you have 50 results to a page.

Ryan

Sheesh... I'm gone for 4 days (more on that later...it was amazing)...and you kidZ all have so much fun....

Looks like it'll take me two days to catch up on the reading...

Speaking of important LINKS....this thought crossed my mind...since FTD and PF and 800F all are battling each other for the direct ship side of the biz, and since we have a strong links share already in the works...

I wonder if it would be to our advantage to attempt to gain TF's support and a link from them? They don't direct ship...right?

Interesting concept

Sheesh... I'm gone for 4 days (more on that later...it was amazing)...and you kidZ all have so much fun....

Looks like it'll take me two days to catch up on the reading...

Speaking of important LINKS....this thought crossed my mind...since FTD and PF and 800F all are battling each other for the direct ship side of the biz, and since we have a strong links share already in the works...

I wonder if it would be to our advantage to attempt to gain TF's support and a link from them? They don't direct ship...right?

:fdevil::fdevil::fdevil:You would think that if one of the big boys had the spaldings to jump to the front and support a Real Florist/ pro consumer initiative it could only benefit them in the long term.
Teleflora would IMHO be the likely candidate to take it to the next level and if such an advertising campaign were implemented properly the results for them would be astronomical as no-one else is going to carry the ball.
How easy would it then be to capitalize on their advertising dollars to bring such an aggressive campaign to the forefront ?

If they were to say no, would it not then clear the air to the fact that they absolutely do not support their members, or the consumer ?

Heck, I think it would be a golden opportunity.
If they say no then they would be setting themselves up to be victims of the fallout when this effort peaks, thus being as guilty as the next guy.
May not be a sensible idea to play it down.
May be more sensible to PAY IT FORWARD !

Who's got the juice to get the point across ?

Hey Boss, you were missed !
( Loved the Professional Florists vs. ProFlowers thing that I finally stumbled upon yesterday )

They once had a page on their site that showed the boxed flower difference - that's where I got that idea.

It wasn't there long and my *guess* is they decided to shy away from negative advertising or public competitor bashing.

Which could well have been a very smart move on their part.

Or not

Or it could be a hint of things to come?

I know

opinions vary

Status
Not open for further replies.