So glad to be alive today - gratitude list

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloomz

Nov 12, 2002
Corvalis
State / Prov
OR
I hope I get a coupla green dots for this.....I don't usually talk publicly about this, but today am very happy and I don't care who knows.

There was a time when I was very nearly dead, and I was sick enough to not care, actually welcoming death because I had no idea how to live. See, I was a child of the 60's who had so much fun back then, but got lost on that path. My life got so horrible and I became pitifully and incomprehensibly demoralized I just wanted to die, but I thought surrender was for weaklings. It's turned out that desperation was one of the greatest gifts I have ever received.

Today I celebrate 15 years of continuous sobriety from all drugs, including alcohol, which has brought me so many gifts, not the least of....

Years spent taking care of my elderly parents and being with both of them when they left the world. What a wonderful payback for the years of worry and misery I had caused in their lives. When my Dad passed - I wanted to put something special in his pocket as a momento of me and I put in my 8 year coin. My Mother has my 14 year one in the pocket of her burial dress.

I have gotten to amend my behaviours thru my thoughts and attitudes. I'm not who I once was. Thank God.

I have more friends than I have ever had in my life.

The love of a beautiful young wife. (see below - ain't they pretty?)

A wonderful darling little 2 year old son, my first child, who woke me up this morning smiling at me. What a gift!

A very successful business where I get to spread joy all day long, which gives me the ability to do anything I can dream of.

The gift of purpose - being able to devote my primary purpose in life to help others with drug problems and be of service to God and my fellow man in a way only a recovering addict can be. I've been in the county jail here virtually every Monday night since 1994, and in a state penitentiary monthly since 1997. I can do something all the counselors in the world can't do - touch people on the emotional level.

Hope and Inspiration and Freedom and Joy in my life. All brought about thru the spiritual principle of surrender. I surrendered and joined the winning side.

Life is Grand! Thanks for listening

JB

Part of the joy in my life:
glendajulian.jpg

Reactions: 33 people
Jonathon, what an inspiring post. Life can be what you want it to be if you're willing to work toward it. You have shown it is possible.

I find it very meaningful about your 8 year and 14 year coins.

Great picture of the two special people in your life.

Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: 2 people
congratulations! you are on your way to even more blessings that wait for you! The gratitude you have in your heart and the time spent in service to others are seeds that you are sowing...for you and others.
you have a beautiful family! thanks for reminding us .. we all need to get everything into a positive perspective

Reactions: 1 person
Nice post - I've only been here a short time, but this is the first time I've seen you write so personally. It's a wonderful thing, to be comfortable enough to share such intimate thoughts.

What a doll baby - your wife and child both!

Congratulations on your sobriety and your personal achievements! And thank you for the comfort and inspiration you surely share with those who need it.

You are a gift!

tracy

It's great to be alive

Johnathan, thank you for sharing this. It takes a lot of character to overcome some of our obstacles.....but, you proved it could be done. You have won a great battle. Your son looks a lot like you.....so cute. But, I can't understand how you got such a beautiful wife.

Carol Bice

By The Grace of God

Thank you for sharing this with me, it was much needed today, You are the most wonderful person out there, you can admit your weakness and how powerless you were over things in your life, And by the Grace of God,I am truly blessed, to happen across this post today, and that you are what you are, that you have touched my life,with all of your kind words and wisdom..Keep sharing, Much happiness to you and yours..

Ever so Blessings to you and yours..

Queen of Weddings..

Jonathan,

You define the word "inspiration"! Live & learn, baby! May I suggest you change your birthdate on your profile to the date of your "rebirth"? You're not 7! You're 15! Blessings to you and your beautiful family today and always!

BTW-When my beloved father passed, I put lots of pennies in his pockets for him to toss down from heaven. Amazingly, every time I feel down and out, I always find a penny! Here's a link to a letter I wrote Dear Abby about "Pennies From Heaven"!

http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/?uc_full_date=20020331

Reactions: 3 people
Just a :) Jon...

V

Thanks for the inspiration.....being true to ourselves isn't always easy ....but is indeed so very worthwhile. Take pride in you ! (we do!) :)
jeannie

For those of us who have known you for ages, watched you develop as a Real solid man, tolerated your political rants, giggled at your sarcasm, prayed for you when you got hurt, seen the absolute joy in your eyes when you talk of your family,suffered with you when you lost your folks, listened to your pond stories...well...we love you, we are proud to call you friend and we congratulate you on your 15 years bro....
Lots of high fives...not those kind of highs but the hands held up waving like a lunatic high fives!
Sher

Now why can't I give the man a green button??????

Jb

Jon opinions do not vary here.

You are an inspiration. You walk the walk.

Thank you for your service to humanity.

There is not a Cosmic brush big enough to paint you green, but your Aura is a much finer colour than that
Doug

Thank you for sharing your story. What an inspiration.
Sharon

I have more friends than I have ever had in my life.

...and on that note, based on your comments it made me wonder what makes good friends.

It's not agreeing with everything that one says.

It's not agreeing with everything that one does.

But through your words & actions a friendship is formed because...

You make me think...you make me question...you inspire me to act...and for that I thank you!

From one who does not suffer fools gladly to another...thanks buddy!

You are one very special guy, Jonathan! I've always suspected it, now I know it. May God continue to bless you and your beautiful family.

Jon... well you know already...

Talk to you later today Bro.....

ms

Status
Not open for further replies.