Status
Not open for further replies.

Audra

Nov 6, 2002
Sault Ste. Marie
www.mannflorist.com
State / Prov
Ontario
Hey Ryan, is there a hope in hades that we could get a spellchecker function with this board?? Some of us are twitching wildly in our chairs over here.

Audra:rolleyes:

I perpesely do it just for you Audra. I never read my post before I post it up and yes I should becasue I find mistakes.
I think as long as I get my point across who cares...
Just my opinion...
Luc

The problem IS Spellcheck! People have become lazy in their command of the language. My daughter is well educated...and has a wonderful way with the spoken word...can't spell worth a darn...makes me CRINGE!!!

Luc your spelling is to be forgiven...your first language isn't English. I can't spell in French. ;)

Veselych Svyat....

go spell check THAT!!
Monday Jan 06/03 is Christmas Eve, time to spend the REAL CHRISTMAS with our families, and friends,
And hope you guys can join a MALANKA near you for New Years' celebrations on or nearest the 13th of January.
You guys say...TIME to RUMBLE!!
We say "Time to POLKA!!"
Mike and Sandie

Audra,

Here is my quandary:

Poor spelling is the bane of my existence. I wriggle in my chair with every misuse of "there, they're, their" and "you're, your" and "it's, its" and so one. Above that, we have to read people spelling color, favorite, through, and many other poor, abused words the American way (note: NOT English).

So, what are my options?

Install the spell check feature of this bulletin board. Easily done, but for a few problems.

1) Cost is prohibitive.

2) What language do I get? American or English?

3) It's an extra step when posting, and that could make people a little less likely to post.

4) What spell check program has Audra in it? Lysianthus? Or Lisianthus? Florists can't even agree on how to spell flower names. We'd drive the spell checker batty.

So, I keep my twitching to a minimum when I read that someone "Seen yous guys at the MacDonalds, playing on there slide and climbing it's ladder."

And I weep for the youth of today :(

Y we wory bout speling wen we got peeple lik Jonny Crooton and Mr. Jorge Bush?? If you can't spell.....it's okay with me, just spell it like it sounds!!!

Spelling was my worst subject in school so if I type more than a one liner I usually copy and paste........but it's the content that matters on this board, not the spelling!!

I cry with you Ryan.

Misspelled words fall hard on to the laps of educators...not much creative about that.

In Ontario, when my daughter was in grade 4 the powers that were, came up with something called "whole language". If the student didn't know how to spell something they could just do the sounds they could figure out and scribble the rest...for example. sn--sh--. I asked the teacher where the dictionary was and why wasn't it being utilized. Her reply...the new curiculum was designed to not squelch imagination! GOD!!! Give me strength...hence we have a load of functionally illiterate people running around. Imagine having to take English equivalency tests when entering college or university!

When I made the suggestion, it was done with much tongue in cheek. Grammar and spelling drive me crazy, it's a carry over from far too much time in University proof-reading and typing other people's work.

I know that spell-check is a nightmare, especially with multi-national issues. Colour-color being but one example.

Audra

In reality, If my 9yr. old isn't arround. the spelling in my posts would be even worse than they are. But then I send Him to a non- denominal christen school where the consept of teaching them real reedeng, rightn and arithmitac is really understood. Geese where is that boy when I need him?

Ouch, I got all that at a good old public school here.

Audra

If my post is going to be rather long, I type it up in word and let it catch my mistakes before I post it here. It's not spelling that gets me its typos. Does anyone know what is is? :D

Originally posted by Audra
When I made the suggestion, it was done with much tongue in cheek. Grammar and spelling drive me crazy, it's a carry over from far too much time in University proof-reading and typing other people's work.

I know that spell-check is a nightmare, especially with multi-national issues. Colour-color being but one example.

Audra

flowerSoft comes with a spell-checker of sort. It is only available when you are in the enclosure card section when entering an order and when writing a letter with the form letter writer.
What it does is check each word against a list of approximately 110,000 words. By the way, "colour" and "color" are both included. If it doesn't find a word in that list, it displays it and gives you the option to ignore it, correct it, add it to the dictionary or look for similar sounding words. It is no way nearly as good as Word's spell checker in giving suggestions but it does prevent embarrasing mistakes. However, no spell checker could handle something like:

"I have a spelling checker
I disk covered four my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot see.

Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your sure real glad to no.
Its very polished in its weigh,
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a blessing.
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when aye rime."

There is more, but you get the idea.
(If you want to read the full poem, called "Ode to Spell Checkers" and written by a Canadian I believe, go to http://peavi.bc.ca/spell-checker-ode.htm

Let's face it, English is just a tough language to learn and spell.
If somebody "gives" you a haircut, how come you don't "take" one? Some things just make no sense.
;)

Good old public school for me also Audra...where emphasis was placed on learning how to correctly speak and write my mother tongue.

I have to also give credit where credit is due - I'm highly literate because I have highly literate parents. If I didn't know the meaning of a word, my mother had me look it up. There were always books in our home and living well outside the city limits (and 3 miles from the near girl), I had lots of opportunities to read. Still read a lot - about a book a day - keeps me out of trouble.:rolleyes:

Audra

My parents also valued education. I can't remember not having books and music in my life. Even today I escape into the realm of words and notes. I've passed that love on to my daughter. She graduated in photo-journalism and tells wonderful stories with pictures and words.

For the record. I went to public school as well. There is just a big bdifference between then and now. we chose not to send our kids to a school where there are gangs, armed guards, metal detectors, Daily patdowns, dumming down criculium, blatent sexual conduct and dress, free condoms, teaching "outside sex" as an alternitive to intercourse.
It takes a parent to keep the village out of their children.
It takes discipline in the classroom for a child to learn. Maybe things are different up "north". Arround here school vouchers would be very welcome to the toon of some 9000 of um.

Status
Not open for further replies.