Suggestion on an anonymous forum

Would one anonymous forum be useful to the industry?

• HEck yeah, let's have somewhere to hear the real deal!

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Maybe if it were kept separate from the password protected ones

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I'd rather not hear it all just so we can keep it polite.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Heck no, keep the rif raff anonyMouses out!

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bloomz

Nov 12, 2002
Corvalis
State / Prov
OR
But, well some history - you may remember this, but it all started on the SAF board, and I was one of the "offending parties" I know, but we got wild on there soapboxing about skimmers and all, really raising awareness in the industry of things that certain interests didn't like known (like the wire services?) - things like real profits on incoming orders, lack of response to marketing to recipients, wire service lies and overcharges, just lots of stuff, but FDS (I think it was) put pressure on SAF and finally they had to password protect it, and when they did, it just died, D-E-D. Well, when the florist board got going, and it has been THE best resource in the industry. I have to echo George Jr in saying I have learned more there than in my 10 years of experience in the industry (for George he said 40 years if I remember right) - all the floral shows and conventions I can I go to I do, but the FB has the real deal, which helps me sort out the fluff, propoganda and bull**** I learn AT those conventions and shows. And knowing others felt the same helped me immensely to formulate some controls and systems that have helped me tremendously in my business.

But it attracts rif-raf and drive'bys. I personally have taken LOTS of heat there, and I do mean LOTS, THE FIRING LINE, been blasted mercilessly. Thankfully I have a thick skin, cuz it has driven some people off. Problem with non-protected boards, rif-raf gets in, BUTT, it does promote lots of things that would and could never be said if everyone is held legally responsible for the stuff they post and reveal. I refer recently to the person on FB posting as ex-tel, ex-redbook – and this week the Teleflora employees that were laid off - those people have LOTS of insider knowledge that would never get released to unsuspecting florists without them being able to do it under conditions of anonymity. Disgruntled or shat upon ex-employees are treasure troves of information. Some of us have sources for inside information also that they don't want legally connected with, and being able to post from a proxy browser shields one from the heavy handed threats of the 2 1600 pound gorillas, and I know legal threats are how they silence people, they got bucks, we don't. So occasionally someone can post stuff everyone should know, but can do it anonymously.

So anyway, what I am alluding to is, that, this board is great, killer, and will most likely become another of the most valuable resources in the floral industry. Is there a way to possibly allow or have one "Free for all" forum that people could post to anonymously? Just think lots more dirt would get exposed if there is a forum that allows it. You've seen the FTD board, and everyone knows there are limits there to what you can say, because you are legally responsible if you have to log in with a password, so it keeps it lukewarm at best.

Just maybe something to consider – maybe you could take a poll. Right now there is a place for a "polite" board and a place for an "impolite" board - my fear would just be that if the "impolite" board ever folds, we're gonna be left without getting a lot of good information that nobody wants to put their name to. Sometimes it's even fun to post anonymously just so I can answer the post NON-anonymously! Good way to get a conversation started! (Gawd, does that mean I am schizophrenic?)

Well hell, long winded but just something you may consider. Love this board also tho, so don't get me wrong...Boss and I talked about this the other day on the fone. I know this is a very advanced message board, and am guessing it is within the technological capabilities to have one free for all forum. It even filters out colorful words that I just can't help but using sometimes!

Opinions please? :confused: :confused:

STAND UP !

Not being one to hide from MY convictions, I really don;t worry abouut posting items that may or may not make a company uncomfortable....

Sometimes the truth hurts...

BUTT, there are times, when there may be a tid-bit or two, that could help others, and it may go unpublished to avoid compromising the source....:cool:

My only question is having a open forum like that may create more problems and headaches to find out if it is true or not. A disgruntle teleflora employee or FTD may post stuff that is not true or made up. I do understand it may also give a edge on the inside track, information that we would not know unless they post it. It would be hard to believe right from wrong.
We see it time after time on here or other florist board the Rumors of teleflora and FTD. Do we need more?????
Luc

Originally posted by bloomz
Well, when the florist board got going, and it has been THE best resource in the industry.

But it attracts rif-raf and drive'bys. Problem with non-protected boards, rif-raf gets in, BUTT, it does promote lots of things that would and could never be said if everyone is held legally responsible ...

So anyway, what I am alluding to is, that, this board is great, killer, and will most likely become another of the most valuable resources in the floral industry.

Bloomz,

We've discussed this privately, and I thought I made my position on this clear. FB is dying, dead, waiting for the vultures. It's a rumour mill for people to start the crap flying for no other reason than - they can. The same garbage happened with FTD's free-for-all board. Zero accountability = chaos. Not on my watch :)

This board will stand on it's merits as a discussion forum for floral industry people. We keep tight controls on who is allowed access, and so far the results speak for themselves. We have rapidly outpaced KurtC's forum, there's no comparison to the volume of discussion here vs. FB ... and I can remember days on FTDI's board where you were lucky to have a single post.

FTD has a board that is bent toward patting itself on the back. Those who are too negative are deleted. FB caters to the adolescent in everyone, because of zero responsibility. Here, the only post I've had to delete was my own ;)

End result: If you don't want it said, don't say it.

I think I agree with Luc

If I HAD to choose I would say "No" to an anonymous board because of what I have seen on the Florist Board. Some people get their kicks from being very destructive (not the same as being negative like me). I mean the ones whose motivation is just to stir people up or try to settle a score with any old lie or exaggeration that comes to their tiny minds.

I do see Bloomz's point, but I think enough "disgruntled ex-employees" have florist friends who will pipeline the news to us.

One of the things I find difficult about THIS board is that there are already too many places to look for news.

Being BLUNT, is different than being full of

"blunt" and Ryan is right on the ball with his choice of forum platform!!
BLOOMZ, one free for all board is sufficient to stir the witches brew for all of us, and in no way, would I TOLERATE a change in this board's idiology.
TRUST ME...Ryan has it RIGHT, and IS RIGHT.
Bring us the dirt, bring us ALL the clean dirt...anyone can sling a dirty mudpie, it takes intelligent thought to sling a clean mudpie!!
Mike:)

I make the rounds....

Every morning and afternoon and evening I make the rounds from FB to FTDI Board to Flowerchat to Retailflorist. Yes I am addicted! They are at the very topof my favorites in order of my rounds. I like them all. Lots of the same people post on all or most I see though.

I like the way FB is all right there in front of you. No separate categories and thread lines and such. That can come in handy for specific needs, but I like the continuous flow of FB.

Retailflorist.com seems to have very little activity.

As far as anonymity goes. Makes no difference to me. I'm flexible. I like putting my name behind what I say.

The riff-raff you speak of on FB doesn't bother me. I don't get into conversations with them. I just don't acknowledge them so as to validate their existence. (I don't think I do anyway.) If no one responds to their posts they will get bored and go away.

THE BIGGEST THING OF ALL FOR ME IS HOW MUCH I LEARN FROM YOU ALL. I WON'T GET INTO DETAILS, BUT LETS JUST SAY YOU MAY HAVE SAVED MY STORE. JUST KNOW THIS: YOU WERE ALL PART OF AN ANSWER TO PRAYER AND I THANK YOU ALL!!!:cool:

I still think it is a good idea. Now don't get me wrong. I love that I can keep track of my info and everythiing that goes along with this board but I think there is a place for a section that you can post anonymously if some one so chooses. But it is not up to me.:D

If I don't believe in what I'm saying then I have no business posting. I won't share ideas or thoughts with a no name.

Anonymous posts - don't like them. Been part of the 'net culture since '88 back in the day of Fidonet and the other BBS platforms. Didn't like them then, don't like them now.

I saw what I mean, I gear my vocabulary and comments to the mood of the board I'm on. In my experience, anonymous = flames and that's just wrong. If you have issues with me, tell me up front, don't hide behind something. If Ryan creates an anonymous forum, I won't use it. Been there, done that, burned the t-shirt.

Audra;)

Re: I make the rounds....

Originally posted by Lady Biker Florist

I like the way FB is all right there in front of you. No separate categories and thread lines and such. That can come in handy for specific needs, but I like the continuous flow of FB.

Funny, that's the part I like the least (except for the name-calling and insults) about FB. I have to look through lots of messages I have no interest in. Then, you might have a good topic going and then all of the sudden everything is gone.

With this board, if you have no interest in Technology, you can skip the section and all its messages. The messages stay around for more than 1 month so if you have to refer back to something, you can.

I like this board a lot better. I like the civilized way in which people talk to one another.

Re: Re: I make the rounds....

Originally posted by George Simon

I like this board a lot better. I like the civilized way in which people talk to one another.

MEE too !!

Can track the items I am interested in, and one click shows the new posts...

FC ROCKS !

This board is the BEST because no anonymous, trash-talking, posters waste my viewing time on it. I read and participate in FB and FTDI but Flowerchat is my favorite because it provides the most useful information to help me grow my business.

Frank:)

Status
Not open for further replies.