The Arrangement on LOGO tv

Well that was an odd show this week.... IMO most of the designs in the shoes sucked... but what are you going to do in 20 minutes...

Rue Paul was a hoot...

Can't say I'm sad at the outcome tho.... bye bye Anil.....

I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but with what I've seen so far, it occurs to me that maybe there are specific techniques for designing for television.

I think a lot of the designs just don't show well on television. I don't have HD and plasma, but some of the stuff just doesn't read well on tv and might look better in person. I know we've all designed stuff that looked fabulous in person but lousy in a photograph.

Not making excuses for poor design, just thinking maybe there might be some tricks for looking good on tv!

Reactions: anytimeflowers
It's Guillermo all the way. 2nd Derek. Third will be Tara.

Well- My prediction is coming true. Tenley is totally gone next week.

Her designs were far inferior to Anils and Dereks. Eric is obviously a giant a$$ with stupid looking glasses. If he told me he wanted to "slap" me or anything sort of like that I'd tell him "Bring it on big boy if you think you're man enough" Then I'd show him how ghetto I can get. There is no way in hell I'd let someone say something like that to me.

I so felt Dereks and Anils heart breaking, especially Dereks. You can critique without being a total jerk (I really really want to use a much worse word than jerk, but I'm trying not to get too ghetto.)

Eric Butterjackass is someone I never ever want to come into contact with.

And I think after this season, I wont be watching anymore. I'm really getting sick of the sexual BS too.

This show does very little to promote the floral industry and a lot to make Floral designers look like catty a$$es.

I so do wish they'd bring back that show that Corey Lonsort and That Jeremey from Phoenix, and Cathys Designer, THAT was an awesome design contest.

Reactions: CHR and KABERS
I personally liked Guillermo's designs the best, and I thought his set was awesome! For once Eric and I were on the same page, even though he admitted that the monobotanical was exactly what he was looking for.

Tenley.....hmmmm....she IS in way over her head, imo. She chose the right colors, though. There is nothing more beautiful than those colors, the drama of white and red against each other can't be beat. I think the broken flowers added a whole lot, even though it was not intended.

Anil is a far better designer than Tenley, and yet there you go. Eddie was too.

I really, really think the key to winning this is to completely do what Eric would do, those that are left are learning that, I don't think Anil or Eddie were capable of that, to be subservient to the whims of one person.

It tore my heart out to see Derek so upset with himself. He made the mistake of doing a design outside of Erics comfort zone, i.e linear.

I guess the real "client" is Eric, and if designing to suit only him is what it takes, that's probably what I would do, if I didn't get hauled off to jail for assault, first. lol

Yup, this is fast becoming the Eric butterjackass show....Tenly really needs to stop crying, this week was atotal fluke, she narrowly got a break on this, her designs were beautiful, but everything else was just a surprise ending for her...Anil, I love him, but that crying at the end was so fake....but Derek was really really heart broken...and Erik is a jerk...i thought that Dereks arrangements were nice, but the flocked brances really didn't work well in the photo...too bad, so sad, but yeah Shannon you are right there is a way of critiquing without maiming, but it doesn't make ggod tv, having a mental breakdown right on camera for everyone to see is good tv for many many americans, they love it!!!

I totally don't think Anil was fake crying. I think he was humiliated by not getting to the top 3. I'm telling you- I was so much like him, it's insane. And there's a bit of that left in me. But now instead of me wanting other designers to be impressed by me- I focus on my customers. Honestly- that's really all that counts! Anil really really wants people to see his talent and to love him. He's so insecure. Anil and I are cut from the same cloth- I would be more upset from being caught crying on camera than losing.

And Guillermo has been my fav from the start. I love everything about him- or at least what they are showing about him.

If Tara's models right leg had been extended down and off to the right, touching the ground- that picture would have been way stronger. And she is a great designer.

Derek is a doll and also a great designer. He deserves a lot more respect than Eric gives him.

You know Eric is probably bringing major attitude to the table because it's TV and people loooove to watch drama. If he's like that in real life, I pity anyone that has to work with him. Too bad he has such a narrow perspective on design, but designing in groupings with fewer varieties in product is the hot ticket with high end designs. He's also probably trying to get people away from their stock in trade way of doing things, and into the more high end look. Was very surprised last week that he picked a compact arrangement with nothing special going on, instead of one that had a unique twist to it. Very boring to me, too much of the Martha Stewart compact bridal bouquet look that I would love to get away from.

I think that the only thing wrong with Tara's design was lack of punchy color, had she chose more popping comor combo it might have done something better, those muted lav blues and birch wood, just didn't pop and let you see the designs....She would have been better of to use black bamboo, yellow, orange or deep blues the frame would have cut right through the white a stronger color container or clear glass with color added to it would have strengthend the look also....The containers all blended in with the background, and the washed out pods and dried materials just didn't carry any weight especially with the model in black leather....I had to go and look at the still shots, in every ones pictures, the model and arrangements pop out at me and I barely even register the set, tara's all I see is the model and set, arrangements never even registered in my brain, I really had to look at them to see what she did, too much small subtle details, they are there and it is good design, but not on large scale...

Reactions: anytimeflowers
Well- I sort of watched...

Watched it on line, skimmed and I watched the very end. I just can't take Eric much more.

Well- 2 out of three aint bad. I still love my Guillermo.

I wish Tara hadn't stormed out like a crybaby. She should have held her head high. Good grief she made it to the top 4 with a lot of really great designers.

I do still think she's a better designer than Tenley- I think the pressure got to her.

Tim Farrell this past weekend said (at a design show I attended) Years experience doesn't equal good... or something like that. He said he's seen designers with 30 years experience and he wouldn't have them in his shop, and then designers with less years under their belt that really rock.
I couldn't agree more!
He was pretty awesome presentor BTW.

Shannon, I agree with you..Tara did storm out like a baby, the pace must be gruehling doing all this in 2-3 weeks time, her age was showing next to all those youngins...she was tired and pissy...

Tenly is starting to se ethe big picture and is super sensitive to pressure, I hope that this week she doesn't have a total breakdown...Eric sux...bad!!

I think Guillermo is super talented and Derek is too...oh yeah again, Eric sux, all Eric all the time...and poor Derek just wants to impress him...well he impresses me with his use of color and details...not that I matter...

Tenly will get better if she follows all the mentoring and takes some classes and keeps learning, I still don't think she will win this, but you never do know...

Tara's car was my favorite, and I agree with Eric on what he said, she should have done what good florists do, instead of @@@@@ing, put your nose to the grindstone and get it done for the deadline...I totally understand pressure and being tired, but hell she came there to win and she could have still been in it, without that crybaby loser attitude...

aside from that ridiculous Tenley laugh ... I also don't like her mechanics. She has none - and too often her finished work completely showed oasis, styro etc. Apparently Eric doesn't look at mechanics much... seems he's more the smush all together one flower to mass....
Oh well, I agree, Tara should have just worked like she preached instead of crabbing.. (but we don't actually know how much time she really didn't work either). I think she did bite off more than she could do, loved the lotus though!!

As an aside - If I were a wholesaler, I'd be showing this show on a flat screen in my booth at the market, with coffee and bagels and a nice display of whatever product I had that related to that week's episode.

It's always a little surprising to me how many of my vendors are "just not that into" flowers, and that they aren't picking up the mags and watching the shows that we and our customers watch.

What a friggin' afront to every professional floral designer in this country. I actually cannot believe the outcome of the show.

Why bother learning to design? Just cram a bunch of dark callas in a vase and Eric Buterbaugh will call you winner.

Mindy Weiss should be embarrassed to have been associated with that finale.

Is it over?

EDIT-
OMFG! I just saw who won. I refuse to watch the show now or ever again. What an absolute joke.

You guys are killing me I haven't watched yet and am just getting started here at the store and won't be able to watch for a while....aaarrrgghhh!! Was it that much of an abomination, J seems to think the designs were beautiful??

Regardless- I don't give a crap who you are or where you work- If you have never made a casket spray EVER- A great PROfessional designer you are not. And I don't care if that makes anybody mad.

They should have renamed the show "the best arranger-er that doesn't threaten Erics Ego contest."

ok
cough who won and why its a joke. I don't want to watch the finale (no cable or tivo here) so dish. K

So I just watched...

I do think the wrong person won...I think her arrangements were beautiful as were all of them...but they lacked the finishing details that a competative florists products should have...The bout greens had a huge blemish and the bouquet was not backed and finished...Her dress was gorgeous....This should have been the Eric needs a good designer to work for him show...I wouldn't even want to be mentored by him, well except that I would get exposure to big elaborate jobs, but I think I would have a huge problem taking any kind of direction from him...I don't know, but I think our egos would clash and I would have a superiority complex people with him...I think all of the work was way better than average design wise...especially in these parts...I think Tenley will beneift from the prize better than most, I think that Guillermo might have been set back by Eric's mentoring, but would have been able to use the money and further his career, Derek probably could have benefitted by getting some exposure to bug time jobs and I think that if Eric would have let him, he could have benefitted by learning some young stuff from Derek, but we all know that with his ego that would have never happened..He likes Tenly because Tenley will follow him around and think his bum don't stink and eat up every word he says...and that will probably be good for her, she needs the experience in order to grow...