Announcement AIFD 2009 - Pictures, Pictures, and Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the view through your eyes. Thank you for sharing. What talent we're seeing too ! You are coming to SCFA in 2 weeks, right? Connie and I will be looking for ya! Have a blast Ricky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the pocket bouts. I have never made one, can anyone share how it is attached to the pocket?
Thanks,
Sharon

Sharon - It is really very easy - You build your pocket square on a rectangular peice of cardboard or foamcore.....about an inch or so taller than your pocket. You then glue all your materiaals on that top inch and the reminder just slips INSIDE the pocket itself.

More images in the Flickr photostream. - Some incredible work....Be back on later to post some highlights for you.

Also, I have a lot of information on the development of the CERTIFIED FLORAL DESIGNER (CFD) designation by AIFD.

Rick thanks for sharing... my eyes are happy.

V

I love the pocket bouts. I have never made one, can anyone share how it is attached to the pocket?
Thanks,
Sharon

I posted some from yesterdays wedding in the wedding pictures thread. I did mine on cardboard sprayed black and then ribbon wrapped in black on top.

They are fun and easy to make

Joan

Reactions: Pandalou
OK, Information on CFD - The reason it has been so long in coming is that the AIFD leadership did not want it to be a mistake and problem laden affair.

Ok - The initials CFD will stand for Certified Floral Designer. You achieve that with a combination of tutorials just a few of the ways is a developing online tutorial, attending a design school, and there are others........You will then have a written exam which will be quite comprehensive.....everything from the principles and elements of design to botanical identification to general shop operation and general industry knowledge - You wil have to achieve a certain grade on that to go on to the Design portion...........You have to pass a certain level - if you pass then depending on how high the score - you achieve the recognition of CFD ( It does NOT gain you membership in AIFD yet ) - If your score is high enough, then you are invited to become a member of AIFD with three letters of recommendation.

The reasoning behind this is that there have been designer who achieved AIFD and have shown no intention of helping the organization by getting involved.....they just wanted the credential to show off.......this new designation is a credential that the 'show off' can use - It is hoped that by continuing on past CFD to become AIFD.....the new AIFD member will WANT to get involved and work for the betterment of AIFD and the industry as a whole.

This is just a brief overview and I did not go into great detail. However, I told several people that I would try and ascertain just what is happening with that program and I am excited by it.

This helps to keep AIFD at the forefront of our industry and further aids us in being the resource, the inspiration, the assistance, the help, that you can turn too to help grow your business and in turn grow yourself.

Now, some pictorial highlights.

The first picture is one of the hotel lobby designs - these are metal cast iron/steel trees with apples suspended and black vases with gorgeous flowers - The gentleman caught in the edge of the picture os one of the people who completed the AES.

The second picture is the most incredible attendants bouquet - the designer used cardboard from ribbon bolts - covered it in ti leaf - and did the wagon wheel style design.

The next picture is one single arrangement of roses and cascading ribbons - the table it is sitting on is a 60 inch ( 5 feet ) round table - the arrangement went all the way to the edge - so this arrangement is five feet across.

The next design was used at Container Source's booth - it is a cubist style structure made of various containers.....and decorated with flowers,

The last design was a towering design that had some truly giant sunflowers.

Attachments

• DSC00436.JPG
    DSC00436.JPG
    302.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC00430.JPG
    DSC00430.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC00509.JPG
    DSC00509.JPG
    305.2 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC00493.JPG
    DSC00493.JPG
    302.1 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC00512.JPG
    DSC00512.JPG
    307.9 KB · Views: 51
Diane - The FC peeps will be in the spotlight tommorrow night at the FC gathering.

By the way - We all need to thank our own CHR - During her presentation, She gave a shout out to FlowerChat and us members as a VALUABLE resource for the professional florist wanting to build their business and internet presence.

Meant to add these to another posting.

This was the most amazing technique - I was aboe to speak with the student and ask her to describe the technique.

In the pictures, You'll see what looks like a small and a large spun glass heart and a cascade of spun glass in the tall design.

It is hot glue gun glue. - She took and covered cardboard with aluminum foil......sprayed it liberally with an oil based leafshine......and created the pattern with the glue. After the glue cools.......because the foil is so slick, the pattern just comes right off cleanly.

I bet you could spray paint it (colored glue?? FUN!! .. and add glitter before it dries too.. Wow! I love this idea..

Not yet labeled, but in the new additions - You see the new SAF varieties - some of the most INCREDIBLE roses.

Thanks Rick! Awesome arrangements! All that wrapping of rounds with bears grass looks really tedious unless they have some whiz bang technique for doing that?

Trish

I will have some more pictures up soon - The most exquisite, creative, bridal bouquets were done today. Also have some cool lunch decor photos and program designs - Now, For Diane and others who asked about FC members pictures.......I prostrate myself in humble apology and give permission to beat me with the wet noodle - the lighting was such that pictures did not come out well.

However, In spite of that, CHR, Cherrie, Twila, Caribbean Darkman, Jodi, Jamese, Carol Bice, Brad, and some guests who will be future FlowerChatters and myself had a fabulous time and really enjoyed the comraderie. And again - We all need to give our own CHR like a million greenies, and Thanks like a million or so times for the way she stood up and proclaimed FlowerChat as a valuable resource for the REAL FLORIST during her early-bird program at AIFD.

FC Get Togther

Too much fun! The Get Together was tonight and we had a nice turnout. Unfortunately some of the later-comers did not get photographed, including Jodi Duncan, Brad and Dave & Leanne Kessler.

Thanks especially to Carol - who put this all together!

Here are the photos:
#1 L-R Twila from Corvallis, Fleurman from Salina KS, Jeanne Balmes (not yet a member, but expect her on Thursday! Awesome lady), Cherrie from Cherry Blossoms in Westminster, CO, Patty's daughter, Patty Santee Floral and Carol Bice.

#2 L-R Patty's daugher, Patty Santee, Carol Bice, Rick King (RWK), Robert (CaribbeanDarkMan), New Friend from Illinois, Joan (Carol's friend), Theresa from Illinois (another gal who promises to join FC on Thursday)and Twila

#3 L-R Yours truly and the gang from photo #2.

I spent all last night & today in bed with the stomach flu so pardon for the lapses in memory of names. Hopefully, someone will come along and help me out.

Heard I missed the most spectacular wedding show in the history of AIFD presented by Derek Vasquez, Lori Novak and team.

Attachments

• FC1.jpg
    FC1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 56
  • FC2.jpg
    FC2.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 51
  • FC3.jpg
    FC3.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 51
Only one minor correction Cathy - Caribbean Darkmans name first name is Robert, not James.

Too much fun! The Get Together was tonight and we had a nice turnout. Unfortunately some of the later-comers did not get photographed, including Jodi Duncan, Brad and Dave & Leanne Kessler.

Thanks especially to Carol - who put this all together!

Here are the photos:
#1 L-R Twila from Corvallis, Fleurman from Salina KS, Jeanne Balmes (not yet a member, but expect her on Thursday! Awesome lady), Cherrie from Cherry Blossoms in Westminster, CO, Patty's daughter, Patty Santee Floral and Carol Bice.

#2 L-R Patty's daugher, Patty Santee, Carol Bice, Rick King (RWK), Robert (CaribbeanDarkMan), New Friend from Illinois, Joan (Carol's friend), Theresa from Illinois (another gal who promises to join FC on Thursday)and Twila

#3 L-R Yours truly and the gang from photo #2.

I spent the all last night & today in bed with the stomach flu so pardon for the lapses in memory of names. Hopefully, someone will come along and help me out.

Heard I missed the most spectacular wedding show in the history of AIFD presented by Derek Vasquez, Lori Novak and team.[/QUOTE]

The wedding show was indeed INCREDIBLE. I can honestly say, when we walked out of there, Carol and I were not the only ones almost moved to tears, It was so beautiful and spectacular. The pictures I will post soon pale in comparison to seeing the show. Trust me on this......If you have never bought the DVD's of symposium programs on the AIFD homepage.....as soon as they become available for sale.....GET THIS ONE !!!! You will be just blown away by the romance, the creativity, and sheer elegance of this truly ground-breaking showcase of bridal.

Back on the subject of CFD - if you are already accredited in your state, (Michigan, Ohio, texas, Oklahoma, etc) can you transfer that to the AIFD CFD or do you have to apply again? I just got my Ohio Certified Florist designation and want to look into AIFD..

Status
Not open for further replies.