Are you a "lurker" here at flowerchat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, you're talking about me! I lurk and it's mostly because of I don't have a lot of self confidence in my computer ability. I'm about half computer illiterate and worry about making some gaff. I do want you to know I appreciate this board, even though I'm not a big contributor. I'll work on my computer skills and maybe gain enough confidence to talk more.
Take care,
Linda the Flowercat
"In order to succeed you must fail, so you know what not to do the next time." -Anthony J. D'Angelo

Linda we all had to start somewhere. God, when I first got my computer I thought for sure it would explode if I hit the wrong button. I have since learned that isn't the cause. ;)

Join in the fray... it's a great place to be.

V

I know there's people here with very valid and helpful stuff to share.

Don't let it just be dominated by big mouths like myself - K?

I finally made a donation last week (cheap bastard I guess) - know what inspired it?

A "newbie" posting that wonderful verbarge on describing a dozen roses.

Reactions: 1 person
OK, you caught me and shamed me into posting. My name is Mike, and I'm a lurker.

I work for a wholesaler, and I check in on FC periodically just to see what's going on out there in retail land, and get a different perspective from what my customers are telling me.

I have 20+ years experience in retail, plus 5+ years in wholesale, so I'm definitely not a "newbie" in the business, but would probably qualify as a newbie to FC, since I don't really keep up with all the threads, I just check in on ones that look interesting at the time.

I don't post primarily because I don't visit often enough to keep up with the threads, so I don't want to post something, then not keep up with the thread and leave people hanging.
I've been tempted to post before, but usually by the time I would chime in, someone's already given a good answer.

I lurk way more than I post because I feel inadequate. There I said it. I have been thinking about that for awhile (I know, I need to get a life). :)

My shop is small: two full time and one part-time employee in a small town of 4000 people (15,000 in school district). I am in awe of and would be blown away by the bigger shops here and the volume that you do for the holidays not to mention that years that some of you have been in the biz (13 for me).

I also learned on the job from a great designer and didn't do the formal education route and that really makes me lurk more than post. (I have been to countless design shows and conventions since I started so maybe that counts for something.) I am afraid (you know, in the distant, don't really know these people well way) that I will say something stupid and look like the small town hick that I am. :)

So, when I know that I know something, I post. Or if I just have an opinion on a topic that wouldn't expose my lack of flower shop wisdom, I post. If it is asking for some information that I am not 100% confident in, I lurk.

Hope that all makes sense,
Wanda

Wanda... it's not the size that matters... it's how you present what you've got. ;)

I used to be like you (many moons ago). I was very very shy and confidence didn't exist for me at the time. Bit by bit and step by step I learned that what I have to share is important to someone (I realise not everyone). That's the beauty of this place. We pick up the pearls where we find them... we share them as we are able.

Personally I've always found you to be a thoughtful poster and that my dear is your gift. :) Gifts like that are meant to be opened and shared, so please give what you can when you can.

V

Wow, the subject line caught my attention and now I just realized that I AM a lurker...

So sorry for being one! Not that everyone else is not busy running their lives with shop, family, and all other obligations, but I seriously am having hard time keeping up with the posts on the FC community. With two boys (4 yrs & 8 month), the flower shop (it's really 2 stores in one because I have a little cafe inside the flower shop), church and my parents, I hardly find time to eat, pee, and sleep. Logging on to FC is a treat for me once in awhile and ofcourse in the meantime, all the great answers has been given ;) and I have another few hundred posts to feast upon.

Well, just though I'd explain myself a little bit (for being/becoming a lurker). I appreciate BLOOMZ's initial posting thought; it gets me thinking about my responsibility to contribute as a member to the FC community. I just signed on to internet service for the shop, maybe I'll be able to log on during the day time at the shop and finally start a few constructive posts.

Thanks again everyone (especially the frequent contributors) for creating and maintaining the FC community!

; it gets me thinking about my responsibility to contribute as a member to the FC community.

YES! That's what I'm talking about.

Don't just :gossip:

Being new here, I somehow seem to get into all the old posts, I really do not know if they are open to comments as of 2008? I am still very unsure of how this all comes together. I enjoy these out of date postings though.

Thanks
Flowers by Faith

Actually sometimes it's a funny trip back in time for some of us. If you feel like posting your opinion in any thread, old or new, feel free. :)

V

Being new here, I somehow seem to get into all the old posts, I really do not know if they are open to comments as of 2008? I am still very unsure of how this all comes together. I enjoy these out of date postings though.

Thanks
Flowers by Faith

Our "old posts" are part the great resources for FlowerChat...

If you want to comment on an "old post" please feel free to do so...

I would suggest noting in your post about the time laps, sometimes our posters forget to look at when the thread was started.

Status
Not open for further replies.