Bring Back Bloomz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe,

I'm sorry, but your facts are just plain wrong.

Bloomz was hit with a 3 day time out after
1) ignoring requests to abide by guidelines (which he admits to)
2) repeatedly changing his profile after it was corrected for him

The timeout happened at just after 10pm on Friday the 14th, and was a literal 72 hour ban.

Here's what that looks like from our end:
fc-admin-ban-1.jpg

fc-admin-ban-2.jpg

And here's what JB would see when he logged in to FC:
fc-user-ban.jpg

It's pretty hard to confuse that with a permanent ban.

As for the rest of your points, they are wrong as well:
- correct profile has always been mandatory
- the rules aren't shifting - but as we've seen through many discussions, your understanding of the rules isn't always accurate - perhaps we can do better in the future of clarifying for you.

JB's IP wasn't blocked. If we wanted to block his IP, we would have blocked his home IP range as well. That's just simply not accurate and I'd appreciate it if people would stop spreading that rumour.

Aileen is welcome on FC. She can connect at times, and has posted.

Ryan

Ryan, I am sorry, but publicly Bloomz's profile read, "I suck because I am banned" and his name was removed from the membership list.

Maybe you should change that saying to something like "I don't really suck I am just serving a time out"

What you do behind the scenes is irrelevant to what your messages read publicly.

now, why don't you establish some rules and stick with them.

The TOS agreement is really quite vague for a forum this large and it is time for maybe a more discipline.

joe

Yes, his profile was removed from the memberlist, as that's automatic when a member is banned - as is the message on the profile.

You can comment all you want about how you feel things should be run here, but please don't continue stating lies and conjecture as thought they were fact. That's irresponsible and not beneficial to the community.

The rules on profile data stand as they have since the formation of this forum. Bloomz knew this from the start - he and others often laughed about it on FloristBoard. Just because you don't understand or agree with the rules doesn't mean they are changing.

Added: Is this clear enough? http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21367 (From Jan 2009)
Looks like you and Bloomz read the announcement, too.
2009-08-28_1059.png

Ryan

I may be getting old (I'm almot 50), but it just amazes me how much passion some people have about how they should be treated online. I don't remember the last time I felt the same way even in real life.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't think I'm alone in not caring too much about my reputation in FC or what justice should be done here. Sorry, but I just don't care. I don't live in a virtual world.

FC is simply a recreation for me and I just come here to have a good time, mostly because I'm bored.

If some of you have a better opinion about how things should be done here, that's fine. But could you please discuss it in a more civilized, contructive manner?

The rules on profile data stand as they have since the formation of this forum. Bloomz knew this from the start -
Ryan

I guess what is confusing to me, is the very first Mod response from Mark on the "Bloomz Banned" thread;

Listing your physical city and state.

If you will all remember, a while back we announced that this change would be coming in the future, that change happened.

WHAT!!!??? My beloved Bloomz was banned from FC and now won't participate anymore?? Who will be my lovely old man now? Who will step in now as the wise one?? How can this happen? Truthfully, I think Bloomz is just upset that I haven't been on here in months and now sees no real purpose in FC for him anymore. Right?? ;) Boy the things that happen while you're away............

Hope I made ya smile Bloomz and anyone else for that matter!

You can comment all you want about how you feel things should be run here, but please don't continue stating lies and conjecture as thought they were fact. That's irresponsible and not beneficial to the community.

Don't impugn my reputation.

I don't lie!

If I misstate something or incorrectly comment on something I own up to the mistake.

However, in this case I read the public comments and commented on what information was available.

I may be getting old (I'm almot 50), but it just amazes me how much passion some people have about how they should be treated online. I don't remember the last time I felt the same way even in real life.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't think I'm alone in not caring too much about my reputation in FC or what justice should be done here. Sorry, but I just don't care. I don't live in a virtual world.

FC is simply a recreation for me and I just come here to have a good time, mostly because I'm bored.

If some of you have a better opinion about how things should be done here, that's fine. But could you please discuss it in a more civilized, constructive manner?

Agreed and emphasis mine.

JB is a big boy, and he'll come back or he won't. How about move on people. The newbies here must think we are all nuts! I have not posted an opinion either way on this issue, because I am a relative newbie, and it's really none of my business, not knowing fully either side of the issue. I will say:

It's this public banter and people being ignored in useful posts because they don't have the reputation or credentials beside their name that ruins the board, not the decisions of the individual members coming and going, or the admins or any one member leaving the board for personal reasons or issues with the admin decisions.

For the ten billionth time, I could not get on FC. Don't know why. My computer is perfect. Couldn't access FC even from different computers during my trip across the western U.S. So the mystery remains. It is still sketchy access but a whole lot better than before.
It's been requested by some here to know what I've been up to since my absence. I promise I will write a post tonight after the kids are in bed. :)

The rules on profile data stand as they have since the formation of this forum. Bloomz knew this from the start - he and others often laughed about it on FloristBoard. Just because you don't understand or agree with the rules doesn't mean they are changing.

Added: Is this clear enough? http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21367 (From Jan 2009)
Looks like you and Bloomz read the announcement, too.
2009-08-28_1059.png

Ryan

This is a gross arcane way to initiate rules. Don't make up rules and stick them in a thread. Develop a Terms of use and amend that when needed.

Geez to I have to teach you everything about management?

Goodness sakes let dead dogs die~ the rules are as stated.. the only rule play by the rule~

this dog isn't even on life support yet.

joe

Mr. Bloomz. . . .

You have a way with words (or no words). You don't even have to post and people talk about you. I have typed it before, "Bloomz is a Genius".

It is a rare individual who can cause people (intentional or not) to be stirred by their speech, let alone, no speech.

I am very aware of the polarizing effect of strong personalities. This polarization seems to draw like minded people even closer to an individual when it is taken to extreme. Some of that is evident here.

I believe this effect may be able to cross over into marketing. It may be a lesson we can all learn.

I am not sure at this point how it may be applicable. I will give it some more thought.

If the above makes no sense to you, sorry about that. . . . . just my rambling. I was going to stay completely out of this debate, but couldn't help myself. I will close by saying . . . . it will be okay folks, In the larger scheme of things this is but a blip. Everyone needs a break from FC once in a while. While this is a great place, and we kid about it being addicting, it really can be a time sucker if you let it.

Hi Jon:

You are missed by many that's true (me included, my left swinging friend).

In this world where real issues beat us over the head every day, it would be great if you would come back to posting rather than just handing out groans like candy.

Your input would be appreciated and valued by many.

V

For the ten billionth time, I could not get on FC. Don't know why. My computer is perfect. Couldn't access FC even from different computers during my trip across the western U.S. So the mystery remains. It is still sketchy access but a whole lot better than before.
It's been requested by some here to know what I've been up to since my absence. I promise I will write a post tonight after the kids are in bed. :)
Friend its been too looooooooooong! Hope all is well with you. I'll be waiting for your post.
Ellen

Reactions: Victoria
Geez to I have to teach you everything about management?

Everybody has their own style but personally I give Ryan credit for not letting himself get drawn into an argument, not explaining himself over and over and not trying to win approval. IMHO that is true leadership.

There are two really important facts here that seem to be getting ignored. The first is that aside from the TOU, how and when changes were made and how members were notified I believe that Bloomz was informed directly and personally by at least one of the admins on at least one occasion.

Also - according to Bloomz himself he quit FlowerChat because it wasn't of value and he wanted to spend his time and energy in other areas. His words. So why does it keep going back to this red herring about Bloomz being banned or sandbagged with a clandestine rule change?

If Ryan was one quarter as petty or arbitrary as people keep suggesting he would close threads, delete posts and ban people all the time. Especially over the past week. But he doesn't. Instead he keeps providing this forum, free of charge, where people keep bashing him. He's a much better person than I am.

I like Bloomz. I miss him. I wish him well. But I don't understand why people are looking for ways to blame Ryan for Bloomz wanting to spend more time with his son.

Taking a quick shot at this :

JB contributed a lot over the years, he is a valued member/non member of this board.
He ranks high in opinion,,,, and knowledge.
An alleged problem between he and Ryan are not the issue at hand, nor should it ever be.
Is all of this valuable,,,,,,,yes it is,,,,,,as in a democracy there is difference in opinion.

Ryan rocks as he has provided a forum and means for us to exist,,, as people that may never have hooked up, have !. JB is JB and is an asset wherever he may roam.

THE DIFFERENCES NEED TO BE RESOLVED,,,,,, as obviously opinions vary, yet,,,,,,,,some protocol must be followed to keep check.

References to how JB may choose to spend his time need not be posted here, as that crosses a delicate line. His choices are his alone and are not part of this board,,,, and why should they be ?

I was not planning to come back, after a brief flurry with reality, yet I realized that the admins, and many others, have earned my respect over my short three years. they work hard, and I admire their dedication, but do not feel the need to agree with everything they decide upon. It is not my place anyway.

Do I agree that the Bloomz thing should be dismissed,,,,,,,,,,,,absolutely not !
Do I believe that many posts complaining should not have been written,,,,,yes I do !
Don't post if you don't like is quite simple ! To complain, after you've read, becomes redundant and senseless.
Allow others to feel and write their thoughts, without bashing every word and essentially calling for lock downs. If our thoughts are so totally subject to sanction, many will choose to leave, and that is not the purpose of FC as I"ve been taught.
This IS a great place, and those that choose to contribute are great people.
Let's all move on !

Status
Not open for further replies.