I hate cigarettes!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lori I understand the seriousness of any allergy. However, those are beyond personal control... cigarettes and the hazards they present are not.

I respect your point Joe and I agree with the gravity of the consequences of allergies... but as I said above, those are beyond my control, except to try and respect those with the allergy by not exacerbating the problem.

Someone's allergy to peanuts, latex or whathaveyou is not going to cause me health problems. Cigarettes will.

V

Reactions: 1 person
Lori I understand the seriousness of any allergy. However, those are beyond personal control... cigarettes and the hazards they present are not.

I respect your point Joe and I agree with the gravity of the consequences of allergies... but as I said above, those are beyond my control, except to try and respect those with the allergy by not exacerbating the problem.

Someone's allergy to peanuts, latex or whathaveyou is not going to cause me health problems. Cigarettes will.

V

Ah, I see your point.. Was missing it before....

I also see your point Victoria. I always did and I agree with you on it.

Addiction to anything is a very hard thing to overcome. I have several friends really struggling with quitting smoking. I hope they can do it for themselves and the people around them. I do have alot of compassion for them, they are really good people.

One of them just started Chantix, I have printed out your information on it to give to him. Thank you for that information.

a lot of replies=great concern,"THE SMOKERS TALE"

I Have Trawled Through All The Posts On This Subject And Feel Compelled To Add My Two/penneth,going Back To The Inital Post,i Feel It Was Merely Aimed At The Noxious Fumes/and Discarded Cig Butts Caused By The Smokers Habit, Not Directly At The Smoker,but You Can't Have One Without The Other.
Generally From The Moment A Smoker Purchases A Fresh Packet Of Cigarettes,trash And Fumes Will Follow....the Following Scenario Happens Out Doors Daily!!!!!
Scene 1..fresh Packet Remove Flimsy Cello,dicard On Floor!!!
Scene 2..flip Packet Lid Remove Silver Top Foil,discard On Floor!!!
Scene 3.. Smoke Cigarette Exhale Fumes(onto Or Into It Matters Not),flick Ash Anywhere!!
Scene 4..finish Cigarette(frantic Nay Desperate Last Few Puffs As You Approach Or Re Enter A Building/dwelling Or Shop,then The Quick Flick Of The Still Lighted Remains Deposited At The Entrance To Yours Mine Or Anyones Building(its Now Acceptable In A Smokers Psyche To Do All Or Most Of The Above As It Seldom Challenged By Society...so Its Ok Then!!
The Final Scene Of A "smokers Tale" Ends With His/her Motor Vehicle Being Driven Through A Cigarette Butt Strewn Street,the Window Cranks Down A Few Fingers Clasp The Crumpled Packet.... Then It's Jettisoned Out(to......well Who Cares Where!!!certainly Not The Smoker)
In The Uk This Happens Day In Day Out And Society Does Nowt.........how's Society Feel Your Side Of The Pond?
Lets Not Debate Illness Or Human Rights Just The Basics..
Is And How Did All Of The Above Become Acceptable Behaviour???

Funny that this discussion is being discussed here as it is also being discussed another forum I frequent.

Here is what one poster said about cigarettes.

"I quit when my first child was born.

The things I didn't know~!! I thought my body could "heal" from what nicotine did. I was one of those who thought that if you smoked young it was OK 'cause you'd heal.

Little did I know that I was merely giving cancer an early foothold. The oddest thing about nicotine is that it binds specifically to certain cellular components sending them a molecular signal that they should not die. This, in spite of doing those same cells such damage that normally they'd die off and get replaced. So cells that should be replaced don't die but they are damaged and that damage leads to mutations in cellular replication.

Because of the nicotine there are vastly greater number of cells that replicate and mutate. This one set of facts raises dramatically the chance that one of them mutations will "take" become viable, and be able to eat, and replicate. That is a cancer.

Interestingly only nicotine is known to do this. Marijuana does not. The smoke can harm or kill cells but, there is no inhibitor to the cellular death so when you hurt 'em bad enough they die and are replaced before they can mutate." Cliff R......

I found this comment one of the most compelling comments about the evils of cigarettes and one of the best reasons to never start. This is the warning that should be displayed on the cig packs as well as on a big sign behind the cigarette displays.

Joe

Good post Joe, As an ex smoker I too like the smell of second hand smoke from afar, but I am also experiencing the heart break of losing a loved one to Cancer. We just brought my younger sister, she's 45, home Christmas Eve with Hospice. Her Cancer started in her breast & quickly spread to her lungs and now to her spine.I believe the cancer attacked a weak organ in her body... her lungs, she smoked also. I think that every middle school child ( maybe even 6th Grade) should have to visit a cancer ward where patients are fighting for breath. I think many would think twice before succumbing to the peer pressure of taking that first puff. This is a horrible heartbreaking thing to watch. Debbie

Debbie, I'm so sorry about your sister. You're right, it is an evil thing to witness and experience.

I send positive thoughts for strength your way.

V

The interesting dynamic in all this is that John McCain's wife, Cindy, is one of the largest Anheuser-Busch Beer Distributors in the Unitied States.

Now, since more states are going smoke free, the pols need more money, with McCain as a POTUS, the Pols will not get their hands on beer taxes.

Great! The possibility of a legal drug dealer married to the POTUS.

See I have a serious allergy to alcohol - I break out in handcuffs.

That does it - I'm voting Democrat.

IF I waste my time with that charade at all, that is...which is doubtful.

I know, it was just a coincidence that the oil companies and war profiteers did so well these last 7 years.

I don't particularly want the alcohol pushers to reap the benefits of that same type of coincidence.

At the shop where I'm working now, I'm the only Non smoker. They don't smoke in the shop. They go out the back door of the workroom. However if it's raining , they stand at the door, and attempt to hold their cigarettes out the door and exhale outside! The breeze just blows that smoke back into the shop! I wish they would have an awning out there to protect their poor little heads from the rain drops, so I wouldn't have to smell the smoke! I come home and I can smell the smoke on my clothes. I'm the new kid on the block there so I can't say too much! :(

no ones commiting..

I Have Trawled Through All The Posts On This Subject And Feel Compelled To Add My Two/penneth,going Back To The Inital Post,i Feel It Was Merely Aimed At The Noxious Fumes/and Discarded Cig Butts Caused By The Smokers Habit, Not Directly At The Smoker,but You Can't Have One Without The Other.
Generally From The Moment A Smoker Purchases A Fresh Packet Of Cigarettes,trash And Fumes Will Follow....the Following Scenario Happens Out Doors Daily!!!!!
Scene 3.. Smoke Cigarette Exhale Fumes(onto Or Into It Matters Not),flick Ash Anywhere!!
Scene 4..finish Cigarette(frantic Nay Desperate Last Few Puffs As You Approach Or Re Enter A Building/dwelling Or Shop,then The Quick Flick Of The Still Lighted Remains Deposited At The Entrance To Yours Mine Or Anyones Building(its Now Acceptable In A Smokers Psyche To Do All Or Most Of The Above As It Seldom Challenged By Society...so Its Ok Then!!
The Final Scene Of A "smokers Tale" Ends With His/her Motor Vehicle Being Driven Through A Cigarette Butt Strewn Street,the Window Cranks Down A Few Fingers Clasp The Crumpled Packet.... Then It's Jettisoned Out(to......well Who Cares Where!!!certainly Not The Smoker)
In The Uk This Happens Day In Day Out And Society Does Nowt.........how's Society Feel Your Side Of The Pond?
IS IT ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOUR??
ITS A YES OR NO.

Still Nobody Commiting,"yes Or No"

IS IT ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOUR??
ITS A YES OR NO.

THE SILENCE SPEAKS VOLUMES(TO MY MIND)AND THIS IS WHY SMOKERS EVERYWHERE NOW FIND IT SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE TO DO ALL OF THE THINGS IVE STATED WITH THEIR CIGARETTES/ASH/SMOKE AND PACKAGING,SOCIETY HAS SAT BACK AND LET IT HAPPEN. ARE WE THAT SOCIETY????

THE SILENCE SPEAKS VOLUMES(TO MY MIND)AND THIS IS WHY SMOKERS EVERYWHERE NOW FIND IT SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE TO DO ALL OF THE THINGS IVE STATED WITH THEIR CIGARETTES/ASH/SMOKE AND PACKAGING,SOCIETY HAS SAT BACK AND LET IT HAPPEN. ARE WE THAT SOCIETY????

I don't find it acceptable. My cousin worked for me for a while and I had to tell her that her cigarettes needed to be properly distiguished and thrown away in the dumpster...The gutter in front of my store looked gross and her remark was I flick them into the street...I said that is not where trash goes it goes in the barrel...

The silence speaks to those who don't want to argue. Littering is unacceptable. But you really shouldn't demonize a whole group of people, either. No, I don't smoke, yes it's JMO.

The silence speaks to those who don't want to argue. Littering is unacceptable. But you really shouldn't demonize a whole group of people, either. No, I don't smoke, yes it's JMO.

This is very true....I worked with a girl that used to put here extinguished butts in her pocket out side and then threw them out all at once in a bag to seal up the smell. She was considerate with her trash and well aware that if thrown away in the trash barrel it would smell up the shop....

where do you start then!

Not demonizing how about re-educating,if a whole group of people have a "jmo" and that opinion rests on we would rather the streets weren't littered with cigarette butts,surely even the most fervent smoker could not argue that this request is just and right.

Sorry oaf but the simple answer to "do you like littering" is DUH?

That's why the silence

was that a no then...duh sounds like on the fence.

Sorry oaf but the simple answer to "do you like littering" is DUH?

That's why the silence
This topic goes further than littering,a smoker has some how been given a different set of moral values to work from than a non smoker,whereby the smoker feels it wrong to throw litter but somehow society has disassociated him/her from the fact that a cigarette butt or its packaging is litter.I just feel that this thread set out quite simply by Master J, and if it makes you think right down at the base level smokers produce rubbish/litter how do you/we change that culture then that can't be a bad thing.

Here in the State of Queensland ( Australia) it was made ILLEGAL to smoke in most public areas... such as indoors like shopping centres, areas where food is served, pubs and clubs etc etc. You cannot also smoke in cars where their is a child.

Basically it has been made very hard for people to light up anywhere except your own home.

It has been this way for about 2 years now and believe me it has made life much more plesant. It is wonderful to be able to go out to a Pub and not come home with your hair and clothes stinking of Cigarettes.

I am not a smoker and the Smell always made me feel sick on the stomach so I and many of the general public have welcomed this legisation.

sounds lovely..

Here in the State of Queensland ( Australia) it was made ILLEGAL to smoke in most public areas... such as indoors like shopping centres, areas where food is served, pubs and clubs etc etc. You cannot also smoke in cars where their is a child.

Basically it has been made very hard for people to light up anywhere except your own home.

It has been this way for about 2 years now and believe me it has made life much more plesant. It is wonderful to be able to go out to a Pub and not come home with your hair and clothes stinking of Cigarettes.

I am not a smoker and the Smell always made me feel sick on the stomach so I and many of the general public have welcomed this legisation.
Wonderful place,but a tad,even for me draconian.My beef isnt with the act of smoking no no no,its with (and i make no apologies for this)the fact that a smoker generates more refuse/litter on the streets that i walk on than any other group that i know of,AND WHY? it's because we let em.

Status
Not open for further replies.