I've been asked....

Mikey the Flower Guy

It's a GREAT DAY to live, and love!
Nov 10, 2002
Dundas, Ontario, Canada
www.hamiltonflorists.com
State / Prov
Ontario
to travel with a mission group, that I am NOT a member of, in about 1 1/2 weeks to Port-au-Prince, in Haiti....this groups territory has been completely flattened, I've finally contacted my friend Dan, and the devastation is beyond words, even pictures are not even close to true portrayal.
It would mean that I would be away from the business thru all the remaining "high" holidays, and I fear that our business would suffer/close..we are not equipped for key people to be away as a result.
It's peanuts compared to the horrible aftermath in that part of the world, however, would YOU risk your business,and life style to do this??
My heart says go, my belief says go, my kids say go, my "reality" says Mikey...don't do it!!
OK give it to me....

THere is so many other questions you need to be answered.
One: Lodging? Where are you going to sleep. You and all the other relief people that may go and help, with this devastations it will be hard on sleeping, showering eating for everyone. It will be hard enough to find a place for all those people to stay.

Second, With the amount of relief workers that may ended up going will you be needed or in the way of things?

Third Why Now. Why Haiti. With all the devastation happening around the world why are you compelled to go there?

My opinion: Don't go. As much as your heart tells you differently I say make a donation to the red cross and stay and take care of your business, your wife and kids and grandkids. I think it may be to overwhelmed for you to go.

Will love you with any decision you will make.
Luc

wow

What is God saying to you about going?

Proverbs 16:1 the Bible says, " we may make our plans, but God has the last word". So planning without praying is presumption.

If it is Gods will, God will. and It will be OK>

So, I will be praying for you. :)

Reactions: BobbiR
Mikey, I love you to bits. Ultimately only you can make the decision but I will say this. You have to be true to yourself with absolutely no regrets.

Reactions: Victoria
It's peanuts compared to the horrible aftermath in that part of the world, however, would YOU risk your business,and life style to do this??
My heart says go, my belief says go, my kids say go, my "reality" says Mikey...don't do it!!
OK give it to me....

You've answered your own question, my friend.

You must take care of yourself & yours first...before you can even attempt to help others.

There will come a time when you will be free to provide your time & energy to these causes.

It's just not today.

Hi Mikey,
Follow your heart! I just closed the shop for 2 weeks and lost a ton of business, but it was a family matter and family always comes first.
Can you live with yourself if you don't go ?
Emily

I don't have any great words of wisdom...but hats off to you whatever your decision is! Just the fact that you are considering such a generous yet somewhat hazardous voyage is commendable!

God bless you in your decision making!

Please make sure you register with the Embassy Mike. It's a dangerous place when it's not torn asunder. It's worse now.

V

Oh, your heart is in the right place and I so understand how you feel, but please think through everything before you go. There will be no place to stay, no vehicles, desperate violence, no infrastructure what so ever, probably no embassy to register with, it could be dangerous beyond belief. I hate to sound so negative, but I went through what it was like here after Katrina, and this was in the US!
You'll have to be true to yourself, your faith, your heart, but please, you have a young family, be very careful, do lots of planning ahead.
God Bless you.

Mike, as much as your heart is telling you to go............Listen to your head. If your shop closed and you went, when you returned, Would you have enough saved to live comfortably? In this case, it is the future of Mike and family you have to consider in there as well.

Not to mentoin the logistics required to undertake a mission of that sort......Not only will you need to secure lodging, food, clothing, - you'll need transportation, money, and a host of things to numerous to name.

Sometimes we have to deal with battles of the heart and of the head. I advocate listening to your head.