Truth and Accuracy in the Advertising of Floral Products

Would you sign the petition/letter to WS executives?

• Yes.

Votes: 84 94.4%
  • No.

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHR

Design matters
Nov 28, 2002
Anaheim
www.avantegardens.com
State / Prov
CA
I've composed a draft letter to directly address the stuff we've been talking about here at FC for years.

Do you think the letter adresses the issues and remedies accurately?

Would you sign such a letter if it were addressed to the executives at FTD, TF, 1-800 and FSI?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Truth and Accuracy in the Advertising of Floral Products

On behalf of professional local florists from across the United States and Canada, we are writing to the executives of all national floral wire services concerning the veracity of the advertisers methods and the practices used by some affiliate marketers, which we believe deceive consumers and unfairly influence purchasing decisions.

We believe wire service performance rebates encourage the use of misleading sales techniques, encourage affiliates to use marketing practices which are in violation of both the letter and spirit of state and federal consumer protection laws, and have distorted the marketplace in favor on affiliates who employ misleading and deceptive marketing practices. These practices include:

The withholding of undisclosed fees. Some affiliates continue to label convenience fees and services charges as "delivery fees" yet pocket them and withhold the fees from local florists who actually make the deliveries, thereby reducing the value of the floral gifts delivered. In advertising, including websites, all fees should be clearly labeled and disclosed on product pages so consumers can make accurate cost comparisons. Additionally, wire services should pledge to suspend affiliates who withhold delivery fees from fulfilling florists and deprive consumers of their full purchase value.

Disclosure of all fees. Some affiliate marketers bundle local delivery charges with floral product prices and charge separate service or handling fees, which they retain, or display a 'one price' fee which includes the floral product, local delivery allowance and a service fee. As consumers have customarily paid delivery charges, many believe 'service fees' actually pay for local delivery, when it is not the case. We believe flower affiliate marketers should clearly disclose when they have bundled delivery charges with flower prices and that they clearly disclosed and label all charges, including services fee they retain, prior to requesting payment, whether by telephone or via online shopping cart.

Geographic misrepresentation. Affiliates should be prohibited from making financial gain by using misleading fictitious business names, geographically descriptive website names and advertising claims of being "florist in a specific geographic area" which imply they have physical presences in communities, unless they clearly and plainly disclose their actual physical addresses and true names of their businesses. They should further be enjoined from using false addresses, displaying phony map locations, and claiming "we deliver to specific geographic areas" to entice consumers into believing they are purchasing from bona fide local florists.

Marketing Claims of "Free Delivery and "Free Vase". Wire service agreements with local florists allow delivering florists to be compensated for their regular delivery charges and for the products they deliver. Affiliate marketers often bundle delivery charges into the prices displayed on floral products. Claims of "free delivery" imply local delivery charges are waived, when they are in fact not. "Free vase" claims when sold and fulfilled through affiliate networks are also false, misleading consumers and unjustly diverting buyers from honest and truthful local florists.

False Marketing Claims of discounted prices. Some large affiliate marketers consistently use over-inflated "regular prices" and display discounts. According to the US Federal Trade Commission,
"where an artificial, inflated price was established for the purpose of enabling the subsequent offer of a large reduction -- the ``bargain'' being advertised is a false one; the purchaser is not receiving the unusual value he expects. In such a case, the ``reduced'' price is, in reality, probably just the seller's regular price."
We urge national wire service to cease paying commissions and performance rebates to affiliate marketers who use this deceptive marketing practice.

Unjust enrichment by charging consumers "Sales Tax" when sales tax is not required by the affiliate's governing agency. Affiliate marketers for wire service products should not be unjustly enriched by charging or over-charging consumers sales tax and pocketing the fees.

Cloaking order origins. By allowing affiliate resellers to operate in the marketplace under numerous business names without disclosing the true parent companies and/or ownerships, consumers, local florists and consumer protection agencies have difficulty identifying, tracking and building accurate business profiles to assess the levels of consumer complaints by a single company.

We believe wire service affiliates who collect orders to be fulfilled by other florists should be required to disclosed accurate company information, including their legal business names, and physical addresses to consumers and fulfilling florists. We further believe the cloaking of orders behind assumed names helps conceal skimming and other deceptive business practices.

Product images. We urge wire service marketing departments to use photographs and product descriptions which more accurately depict the arrangements sold to consumers. The practice of providing product recipes to florists which, when followed, cannot duplicate or recreate the visual presentations when using industry standard flowers and supplies, places unfair burden on local florists, misleads consumers and creates consumer complaints.

We also recommend the following:

Create a national independent clearinghouse where consumers and florists can report complaints about deceptive affiliate marketing practices. The clearinghouse would monitor activity across all wire services, independently follow up and report on complaints, and make recommendations to ensure consumer quality.

Cease paying commissions and incentive performance rebates to affiliate marketers who use the practices outlined above to gain unfair competitive advantage in the marketplace.

We urge the executives of each floral wire service to view many "Unatisfactory" and "F" ratings in Better Business Bureau reports of their large-volume sending-florist-only affiliates.

We believe it is in the best interest of consumers and the floral industry that floral gift buyers not be deceived by unscrupulous affiliates, and the affiliates not be encouraged and rewarded by national wire services. We ask you to commit to protecting consumers and our industry from deceptive and misleading marketing practices by affiliates.

Reactions: 2 people
I've composed a draft letter to directly address the stuff we've been talking about here at FC for years.

Do you think the letter addresses the issues and remedies accurately?

Would you sign such a letter if it were addressed to the executives at FTD, TF, 1-800 and FSI?

Yes and Yes
I'm not affiliated with any WS but these practices hurt us all.

In signing this letter we are standing up not only for our businesses and the future of the retail floral industry but also OUR CUSTOMERS.

Yes and Yes
I'm not affiliated with any WS but these practices hurt us all.

In signing this letter we are standing up not only for our businesses and the future of the retail floral industry but also OUR CUSTOMERS.

I'm with Twiggy. Great letter, Cathy.

Yes I would sign it, But as an individual in the industry, since I don't own the shop.
If you're wanting shop owners, that would be up to Amy (the big boss)

One thing you might address (and maybe you did and I do not see it) in this Truth and Accuracy in the Advertising of Floral Products letter, is the misleading amount of flowers (or blooms) in their codified holiday arrangements. I think I posted before Mother's day that they had more flowers in one the arrangments than priced.....or they might show 3 stems of Alstros and then there are perfectly spaced alstro blooms ALL over the arrangement.

I really do not know how to word it but the fact that the larger OG's can come back up to 90 days after the fact and state" price adjustment due to poor quality" when there has been no communication from the date of the order rec'd to the "adjustment time". I was told recently that one of the Biggest OG's has his timer set on the computer to generate these letters...and that he loves the money he makes on this aspect of the biz...wanted to barf. And yes I know we can refuse them from the start but that does not always happen.
Sher

I too think its a great letter and would be proud to sign it. And I know I sound like a big downer, but I think they will ignore it. If they were to impliment these honest business practices they would probably go out of business. I am not affiliated with any wire service and I think the only way to fix the problems above is to be wire service free. But your letter is awesome and I respect your efforts.

Reactions: 1 person
Chezbloom - I'm not sure they'd go out of business but some of them might make less money. My personal thought is that florists can't and indeed shouldn't give up wire ... for a zillion and one reasons but that doesn't mean they should just keep silent. Florists who are still in wire actually do have the power to effect change and as such should fight back from within and make their voices heard. Letters like this may not get instant results but at least it shows not everyone is ground down. And yes I'd sign it if I was a florist.

Even not being a shop owner, I would sign as their practices affect us all.

Chezbloom - I'm not sure they'd go out of business but some of them might make less money. My personal thought is that florists can't and indeed shouldn't give up wire ... for a zillion and one reasons but that doesn't mean they should just keep silent. Florists who are still in wire actually do have the power to effect change and as such should fight back from within and make their voices heard. Letters like this may not get instant results but at least it shows not everyone is ground down. And yes I'd sign it if I was a florist.

If a florist is not interested in sending orders out to other shops, I can think of no reason to belong to a wire service. I mean no disrespect, but can you tell me why you think they should'nt give up wire? Maybe just 1 or 2?

Thank you, Cathy for a wonderful rebuttal that we face everyday with the wire services and order gatherers. I appreciate the time you spent and the thougth you put into this.
In less then a year of owning my shop I figured out the horrible game and knew I didn't want to be a part of the scam on consumers. I just want to give my customers beautiful long lasting flowers.
I will be more than happy to sign!!

Truth and Accuracy in the Advertising of Flora Products

My shop is a member of FTD wire service and I would be willing to sign
such a letter. Thank you for taking the time to compose and post this
letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.