Apparenty there is no freedom of speech on these boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Knooooooow....no more pretty shoes well for awhile anyway. that's fine, I won't be going anywhere anyway (no hubby) and when I do go somewhere it'll be to the market and to the kids' school functions...whoopie!

maybe someone can tell me why my reputation score looks like a street light???? all the pretty colors....reds and yellows with some green...oh so pretty....

I thought I had freedom of speech???? Apparently not....I thought we were all adults here??? who knows......I'll tell ya......you wouldnt want me at any of your mixers..........I just dont blend in with the typical "floral scene" Brooklyn and Agapanthus do not mix well
There seems to be a misconception about what "Freedom Of Speech" means, and how it applies in different areas.

In the USA & Canada, you are welcome to voice your opinions without threat of government oppression. However, there are some limits - like uttering death threats, or racial slurs - that are prohibited by law.

Within the bounds of the workplace, there are further restrictions on what is appropriate to say.

Within a forum like this one, every member has to agree to the Terms of Use when you register. That means there are further guidelines on what you can say, and where, to maintain civility and productive conversation.
Examples:
- adult humour and explicit pics go in the Anything Goes forum
- politics is only in the political forum
- profanity is forbidden
- personal attacks are out of line

Most adults understand this, and it makes for a functional community. If you want to use inappropriate language, or make comments about someone's family, etc, the other board is desperate for ANYONE to visit, so you might find a home there.

Ryan

There seems to be a misconception about what "Freedom Of Speech" means, and how it applies in different areas.

In the USA & Canada, you are welcome to voice your opinions without threat of government oppression. However, there are some limits - like uttering death threats, or racial slurs - that are prohibited by law.

Within the bounds of the workplace, there are further restrictions on what is appropriate to say.

Within a forum like this one, every member has to agree to the Terms of Use when you register. That means there are further guidelines on what you can say, and where, to maintain civility and productive conversation.
Examples:
- adult humour and explicit pics go in the Anything Goes forum
- politics is only in the political forum
- profanity is forbidden
- personal attacks are out of line

Most adults understand this, and it makes for a functional community. If you want to use inappropriate language, or make comments about someone's family, etc, the other board is desperate for ANYONE to visit, so you might find a home there.

Ryan
what other board Ryan?

There was a time up in here where Ry figgered out a way to have no filter in the dirty words forum - an you could let er rip with the f-bombs and all.

Great immature fun that I really dig.

Yeah - I'm the living proof you don't have to be young to be immature.

"Freedom of Speech" as defined by the 1st Amendment simply means our Government won't make (almost) any speech illegal.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

A board admin(s) can make any rules "abridging" individual posters' so-called freedom of speech without violating the 1st Amendment.

If fact, some level of censorship is necessary in any forums. Without it, MF'ing angry extremists will soon take over the board, pushing out all the shy, peace-loving moderate posters.

It's also important to remember that posting to a public forum is a privilege, not a "right." None of us has a "right" to do anything here, except the owner of this board.

Noone has more of a gutter mouth than me and I seem to keep it under control. I treat this board as an extention of my professional life, also an area that I keep my mouth in control...

Part of being an adult and a professional is knowing when to control your actions and words in mixed company...Just because you swear or make racial slurs or be beligerant in your normal life doesn't make it acceptable all the time. It isn't even all holy rollers that would be bothered by this language...I think it cheapens the content of a post and would rather ignore it. I also deem the poster as unprofessional and not worth my time to bother reading...if you continue with saying those types of things you may as well get very used to the red dots, it is someone telling you you are speaking in a manner not becoming of this board, accept it and learn from it...you may find that you grow up a whole lot and learn a thing or two...

Well, I had a ridiculous "grown" woman roll her eyes at me. I am so tired I honestly didn't know what to say... needless to say we did not part friends... moron.

The language police would have had a field day in my head. ;)

V

Reactions: 1 person
If you don't like bad language, whatever you do don't click here.

I warned you...

...I think it cheapens the content of a post and would rather ignore it. I also deem the poster as unprofessional and not worth my time to bother reading......

This is exactly what I was referring to when I mentioned repercussions. They can come in many different ways...being looked at as unprofessional is one way and being banned from a board is another. Very well said Lori! :)

I just can't believe how serious this thread has become.

:drunk:

I haven't even read all the posts yet 'cause our power's been down all day, so I'm just catching up now and wondering what the heck am I doing here (in this thread)???

I haven't even read all the posts yet 'cause our power's been down all day, so I'm just catching up now and wondering what the heck am I doing here (in this thread)???

Yes, and my server was down this morning. This thread was the first that I read today (tonight). Good grief!

And no, Cathy, I surely do not believe that this thread is worthy of TOTW, but that's my opinion for which I've used my freedom of speech to express. Otherwise, that opinion is just an humble opinion...

Reactions: CHR
We all have our moments and it is really no biggie to me. I've had to watch my acronyms because I tend to say (think?) WT@? a lot.
I think it is better and more helful if somebody PMs you instead of red dotting, cuz it really helps to know what exactly is offensive about the post. For example, are they are standing up for TF or are they offended by the language, through a PM, you'll know.
Hang in there
Alison

PS, I can understand why you posted the *expentive deleted comment about TF. I feel the same way. Nope, not going to say it--wouldn't be prudent.

I CANT STAND HOLY ROLLERS...

Maybe they can't stand you either.

It is about being respectful to the fact that there might be others here who will take offense to those sort of expletives. I swear like a sailor when I am out with my buddies, or even with a customer or my boss, but only after building a relationship with them and knowing that it is acceptable.

This is a public forum, not a place where you create a private chat room and have a free for all.

By using fowl language, you may be alienating someone who could help you with whatever you are having an issue with.

I say, keep it clean, unless you are in the appropriate areas. And "Shop Talk" is not one of those areas. And keep your personal opinions about others beliefs or the way they express themselves to yourself.

P.S. I have not been here long, but I find that these posts really clutter the board and are a real distraction for those of us who are here to learn about the flower business.

It is about being respectful to the fact that there might be others here who will take offense to those sort of expletives.

I cuss too (usually in my head - when your chidren are young you get creative with your word choices). Anyway...recently a word I found offensive was used and I commented on it. I was nice. Those who used it were nice. And the word hasn't been seen since. We all moved on.

Most words don't bother me, but MF is unnecessary in a business forum. Use while driving is another matter entirely! Although, idiot is also satisfying when the kids are in the car...

I too have been here a long time and to be honest I'm not offended by the "clutter". Like anything where there are people (often large numbers), there will be extraneous comment. It's easy to avoid if one chooses.

V

Cussing Cousins..

We here in the UK,have degraded so far down the language/culture league that somehow the F's and Jeff's are now mainstream(if not acceptable by all,they are certainly expected by all,so do not shock to the core!!!),it's as if we have evolved a whole new "industrial language" out of the factories and onto the streets...you hear it in the parks from the mouths of babes...picked up from slightly elder kids..they know not really what they say,but still they say it....
As for me, you would have to travel a whole lot further down the path to shock me,...Shame for the kids who know no better,and a real shame for me who does..i suppose...

Reactions: Twila
Status
Not open for further replies.