Scummy tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't miss him a bit, and there's nothing he can say in his defense. He was a daily jerk here, and if you need any reminder, just remember you're an idiot working for third world wages (or something to that effect).

In no way, shape or form does Cathy deserve to be treated like this. She is the hardest working, most unselfish person in our industry. She takes it personally when any one of us (whether she knows you personally or not) is not achieving your full potential. No matter how many times Phil tells her she can't save the world, she keeps on trying, and we're all the better for it.

Additionally, Big Ted and Eric S (two great shops in their own right) are her cross town competition, yet she shares everything she knows publicly, for everyone's benefit.

It's one thing to be a jerk, but it's an even higher level of jerkiness to treat Cathy this way.

Reactions: 2 people
Don't miss him a bit, and there's nothing he can say in his defense. He was a daily jerk here, and if you need any reminder, just remember you're an idiot working for third world wages (or something to that effect).

In no way, shape or form does Cathy deserve to be treated like this. She is the hardest working, most unselfish person in our industry. She takes it personally when any one of us (whether she knows you personally or not) is not achieving your full potential. No matter how many times Phil tells her she can't save the world, she keeps on trying, and we're all the better for it.

Additionally, Big Ted and Eric S (two great shops in their own right) are her cross town competition, yet she shares everything she knows publicly, for everyone's benefit.

It's one thing to be a jerk, but it's an even higher level of jerkiness to treat Cathy this way.

Rich,

I couldn't agree more. It's one thing for someone to steal images from "the big two" (not that I agree with that either) but, to steal from someone who gives so much already...that's just, well... ::BS

He was a daily jerk here, and if you need any reminder, just remember you're an idiot working for third world wages (or something to that effect).

I do believe his quote was "a bunch of strange zealots working for third world wages in a dying industry".

It died for him alright. I hope he's happier elsewhere, cuz he sure didn't have the mettle to be a florist.

I do believe his quote was "a bunch of strange zealots working for third world wages in a dying industry".

It died for him alright. I hope he's happier elsewhere, cuz he sure didn't have the mettle to be a florist.

Unfortunately, this likelyhood of his continuing to steal in whatever he is doing is strong.

Kharma will indeed deal with him eventually.

V

On one hand, it's a backhanded compliment of sorts - when he stole, he stole from the best. That said, no one deserves to have the art/work stolen, especially not someone who shares her expertise and talent so freely.

As for him, he's someone whose presence I don't miss. I agree with Bloomz, the air in here is a little fresher as of late.

I green dotted him for you Jon (and me too).

Well done Ryan!

V

"Lally's Bouquet", I agree with you actually. Kicking a dead horse isn't one of my favorite sports.

I'm running a struggling floral shop, and 12Bucks advised it was going nowhere and I should shut down. Although it truly does break my heart, I have to agree with his suggestion.

He is simply stating a generalized solution for any struggling business. It's analogous to saying "you've got to divorce him" to a woman having marital problem - could be right and certainly easy to say in general, but possibly very wrong and definitely irresposible in particular.

Shutting down or selling a business is an option always available to you, for whatever the reason. You don't need anyone's "suggestion" to come to terms with it.

Both my husband and I ran through the numbers time and time again, and even under our best projected scenario, we will never make more than 22 grand per year.

I've got this feeling that a lot of florists would be more than happy if they could make 22 grands.

If someone has a suggestion on how to turn things around, please do let me know. Although I should move on and rejoin the corporate world, I'm still hanging on to the hope that I may make it as a florist. We are almost completely booked for 2008 weddings, so I guess we can say we're successful at that, but our retail sales are not enough to fill in the "dark months" like November, January, February and March (where there aren't as many weddings).

Here's my suggestion... I'm not an experienced florist, so please keep that in mind though.

I try to have a realistic expectation, so that I won't get too disappointed. For example, I assume...

* It might take anywhere between 2 and 5 years to break even.
* Growth rate, year-to-year, would be ~20% at best on average.
* Owner benefit (income) would be as little as 10% of the revenue.

I would be satisfied if I can beat these predictions. If your expectation is unrealistically high, anything other than a wild success would be a disappointment.

Reactions: 1 person
Well said Goldfish !

Ditto - this is what I mean about taking advice from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

i.e. succeeding in floristry

If you want to now about failure - his advice is possibly golden

opinions vary
:walking:

I want to thank all y'all for your very, very kind words and and for your deeds on my behalf.
Oh, look ... how'd that happen?

Google search for "no talent rip off"

Works on Yahoo! as well :)

Ryan
Ditto what Mark Anderson said. LOL!!! Ryan, if you can manage that in a couple days, goodness only knows what you're capable of with more time. :> Now that's one mighty powerful display of your SEO skills.

A quick note to Lally -

I was probably one of 12Bucks' last defenders here at FC. I emailed him about my photos on December 26 and received a reply the following day. His email included:
frankly i am so disgusted by the treatment i received from the cadre at flowerchat and all the backstabbing and BS i endured there that i think i will keep the images up just to spite all the a-holes there.
and
you should be complemented that we used your images
and
your industry is so full of scumbags and con artists that i felt left out
Clearly, this is no 'misunderstanding' on his part. After this experience with 12Bucks, I owe other FC members an apology for defending him here as long as I did.

No one is 'all bad', but the lack of professionalism and respect for others makes it very difficult to see the redeeming qualities.

Cathy,

You are fortunate to never have to owe anyone an apology as far as I'm concerned.
Though I may be new, and inexperienced when compared to the members here, I know in my heart that you are a caring, giving person, and what I have just read, disgusts me beyond belief.
I cannot express in words how I, our owner and several other key people feel about the way this saga has unfolded.
I too, liked Mark, but his path strayed far to the left of reality, and you, for one, should never have been a victim.
We here can not do much to support you, only our thoughts and posts, but if a day comes that you need us to stand beside you, I give you my word, we will be there, unconditionally !
You Cathy are one of the reasons we forge on in this business, and we here are very proud to have had our lives touched by you.
We are the fortunate ones for sure !

As TOTO will clearly understand, Sempre Fidelis, and I for one , will always stand by you, no matter what .

Kevin
ManorMan

Cathy,

You are fortunate to never have to owe anyone an apology as far as I'm concerned.
Though I may be new, and inexperienced when compared to the members here, I know in my heart that you are a caring, giving person, and what I have just read, disgusts me beyond belief.
I cannot express in words how I, our owner and several other key people feel about the way this saga has unfolded.
I too, liked Mark, but his path strayed far to the left of reality, and you, for one, should never have been a victim.
We here can not do much to support you, only our thoughts and posts, but if a day comes that you need us to stand beside you, I give you my word, we will be there, unconditionally !
You Cathy are one of the reasons we forge on in this business, and we here are very proud to have had our lives touched by you.
We are the fortunate ones for sure !

As TOTO will clearly understand, Sempre Fidelis, and I for one , will always stand by you, no matter what .

Kevin
ManorMan

Good post, Kevin
We don't tell Kathy often enough how important she is to our industry and how she keeps us forging ahead.
Carol Bice

Though I am too new to mean much, I hope my words mean something.
Thank you Carol
I am fortunate to know people like you, and Kathy, that I may never have known, and for that I am grateful, and loyal, and will always be.

Kevin

We're lucky and very fortunate to have such a tireless never sleeping defender of our industry as we have in Cathy. Add me to the list of those grateful for her. [/smooch]

I can't bring myself to do this, cuz it's not the way I roll, but anyone who feels like it, could place a few emails to Teleflora, 800flowers and Proflowers about their images being pirated. Let them take care of it, since Cathy's request was met with such disdain, disprespect and ridicule.

They have the bark and the bite we as individuals lack. And they have legal teams sitting around looking for someone to bite. And they are usually vigilant about protecting their intellectual property.

I've never particularly liked him blatantly using images I/we pay thousands per year to license the use of, especially from someone with such a bitter and blatant direspect for our industry and it's hard working members.

How's he gonna shoot his own - without talent or a flowershop?

If someone is so inclined here's some info right from TF's site:

Teleflora’s Agent for Notice of claims of copyright or other intellectual property infringement can be reached as follows:
By mail:
Teleflora LLC
11444 West Olympic Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90064
Attn: General Counsel
Telephone: (310) 966-5800
By e-mail: [email protected]

For Proflowers:

DMCA Policy

Designated Agent for Notification of Claimed Copyright Infringement
NAME: Blake T. Bilstad, Esq.ADDRESS: Office of the General Counsel
Provide Commerce, Inc.
5005 Wateridge Vista Drive
San Diego, CA 92121
EMAIL: [email protected]PHONE: 858-638-4900FAX: 858-638-4708

and for 800flowers:

The Company's Copyright Agent for notice of claims of copyright infringement on or regarding this site can be reached as follows:

Copyright Agent

Attn: Jerry Gallagher
1-800-FLOWERS.COM, Inc.
One Old Country Road
Suite 500
Carle Place, NY 11514
Telephone: 516.237.6087
Facsimile: 516.237.6101
Email: [email protected]

Just another "zealot working for third world wages in a dying industry", yup that's me, and you, according to Mark.

well.....

opinions vary...

You so bad!!! Think it'll work!

I have been hesitant to comment on this and have actually typed then deleted previous thoughts.

Bloomzie you bring up a point that I have some experience in from this past Fall.

Bloomzie, don't get your hopes up that TF will do anything. I notified them about a homebased wedding florist who "borrowed" my TF book to scan wedding photos.

When I found out about this I called TF, they did nothing.

HOWEVER, This person also "borrowed" my FTD selection guide. My FSR, told me the FTD lawyer who handles these issues loves dealing with copyright thieves. I wonder if 12 has any ftd images on his site?

As far as I can tell, the only thing I see from this mess is that 12 is no longer in the FC forum. Unfortunately, as he has stated here many times, he will continue pirating images for his benefit.

Cathy, I hope you are satisfied with the results. I suspect you deal with these issues much much more than you have ever mentioned here.

all the best
joe

Status
Not open for further replies.