Announcement Several bits of news....and a plea for help.

Ricky--so happy to hear you are doing better--will keep the shop in mind because obviously they know quality when they see it!

Regarding pictures...........I will be taking my camera down there and snapping off pics now that I am back in a shop.

Now, a bit of horrible news.......I found out today that the storage facility I had all my floral books in........photo albums, signed editions, etc.......caught fire and all the stuff was completely destroyed. That was well over 20 years worth of PFD's, Flowers&, FTD Florist, Florist's Reviews as well as books signed by Phil Rulloda, Bob Hampton, Ralph Null, Hitomi Gilliam, Sharon MuGukin, just to name a few......some were irreplaceable as they were gifts.......such as the 1001 floral ideas books and the History of the Florist book that was published by Florist's Review. Included in that was about 12 albums of pictures of work I have done over the years.

Contents were insured.........but that is of little consolation as I will have a hard time replacing what was lost.......and some of it of course is not replaceable.

Reactions: anytimeflowers
Ricky , Just a thought. Maybe some of the places you have worked in, may still have pictures of your work. Or maybe ex-collegues may have some pictures of work you have done. As regards to the book if you want to replace them - some maybe available to buy second hand on amazon.

I think you should look at losing your portfolio work in a positive light if you can. Think it as 'out with the old and in with the new' take photos of all your work and see it as a nwew dawn to your designs.

It wasn't so much the photos per se as the books, dvd's videotapes, and the like that were lost. One book in particular that I TREASURED....was a signed edition of Phil's book.....signed by Phil, Silverio, and Cathy. Yes, All three signed the book ( albeit at different times and different conventions/symposiums )

Three books are irreplaceable as far as I know......they dated back to the mid sixties/early seventies - from the Hixon School of Floral Design in Ohio - One was on sympathy design work and the other two were collections of bridal abd wedding work......including some INCREDIBLE examples of the cascading wired and taped technique.

Also, about 20 years worth of PFD's ( this book was published 6 times a year by the old AFS wire service before they merged with Teleflora......and it was the PREMEIR Design book. ) I am ninety percent sure that those are irreplaceable.

Well, I have GOOD news for everyone......I AM BACK IN THE FLOWER SHOP OFFICIALLY as of this past monday. I went opn an interview to this shop in San Antonio, did three sample arrangements for her, and she HIRED ME ON THE SPOT. She also asked me when I could start, I asked her when would she like me to start, and her reply was......bearing in mind this was about 2:30 in the afternoon, How about just coming on back and finish out the day !!!!

The flower shop is called "The Last Straw Florist ". It is a high-end shop. The owner's are super-nice people.

Now, Cathy, YOU have an assignment.......Give PHIL the biggest hug from me and tell him that is for teaching me the nautilus shell, the flat weave, and the hala bird...........THEY LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them here in San Antonio, Texas.

If he wants to send me any more palm leaf weave instructions.........PLEASE DO......I can SELL the heck out of them here.

I think i would like to see what these are and the instructions for them too please

Glad you found a job you like with great people and are settled in.

Thanks for posting that Mark.....I am currently with out computer as my laptop decided to die on me. ARRRRRRGH !!!!!!

So, until I can secure a new one...(cheaper to buy one than to repair......especially since I know what the problem is....and it ain't cheap to fix ) I am traveling to the public library here in San Antonio to use theirs.

Well, the computer decided to die on me..........Actually what I think happened is the the internal power supply messed up. But, a newer computer later......I am back.

You better believe I was POOPED with a capital P !!!!

finally.....slowly....but surely......recovering......

Well, I found out that my FC subscription expires in less than a week......but this time, I am finally at the point where I can renew it on my own......will take a shade longer, but never fear, RWK will be back in full force.

Since I moved to San Antonio and found work with The Last Straw Florist.....i am slowly, but surely, getting back on my feet. Am I were I was and want to be before all this mess started.....No.....Am I better off than I was living in that unholy hell I was in........YES !!! Do I still have a long long long way to go.....yes I do. Will i eventually get to the point I can relax......not for a long while.

Just continue to pray for me that things get better for me.

Ricky,

I'm so glad you took the steps that you did, and when things get kookie at your new job, remember those darkest days and count your blessings. I am so very glad that things are turning. Even though it is a slow process, at least it's happening and that is what I prayed for. Hope.

almost done ...... FC expires tommorrow......but will be back from free member to pro member in a few days......In the meantime........if anyone can help..........either send me help in my email or on facebook.......On the Corsage rings with the oasis wire.......I know the technique that j uses to make the framebase........but how do I make it adjustable so the wearer can fit it to their finger? I want to get the bases ready for prom time.

Reactions: anytimeflowers
Ricky,

I have not seen J do it, but I do it the same way I make bracelets. Are you using the round or the flat wire? I mostly still use the round wire. If I had my camera here at home I'd show you.

How do I explain this.

Okay, if you were to take your wire and make a ring, only it is a FLAT ring. Then you make another loop so that it is overlapping in the middle of the first, still laying flat. Keep on coiling those until you have the length that you want.

It would loosely resemble a chain. Got it?

Then, find a cement floor, take a hammer, and pound the heck out of it to flatten it. You can't believe how much that strengthens the composition. Then just bend it into the ring.

Oh, I almost forgot. I like to make absolutely sure that the ends are tucked up into the rings before I pound it flat, so that there are not any sharp points to gouge at the skin.

Does that make any sense at all?

Well, I guess I am the inspiration for that old saying "if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all" Had the proverbial rug pulled out from under me today. Granted, I know things slow down in summer for the floral industry. I was expecting a slow down......had begin hunting a second job to help make ends meet as I would most likely be moving from full-time to part-time over the summer. However, I was informed today that my hours were being cut and that I was working till the end of the month and then I would most likely be let go as the work was not there to support two designers.

Now, in all fairness to the shop, They did promise to help me find another position as best they could, write and give glowing recommendations, and to help me out as best they could.

I was FINALLY starting to get my head above water and now this. After all I have been through, It seems I just cannot catch a break. I am told that I could make upwards of 16/17 dollars an hour or more in the Dallas area, Yet, without access to a car or a ride, How does one go for interviews and job hunting in a major metropolitan area like Dallas.......when I depend on taking the bus back and forth.

In the words of Shannon, I'm a d**n good designer, Why is it so hard to find a permanent full-time position? And where do I go to find one and how the fr**k do I get there.