what happened to the rep power??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I vote to dump the rep system altogether. It's a distraction. Keep the number of posts made because I think that has some value.

Maybe have the little scales where you can click on them and send a couple of words to the poster, but no "points" are involved. The scales are a lot easier to use than the PMs.

ps - I know my vote doesn't count, but it didn't count in the last presidential election either, and that didn't stop me from voting.

I vote to dump the rep system altogether. It's a distraction. Keep the number of posts made because I think that has some value.

Maybe have the little scales where you can click on them and send a couple of words to the poster, but no "points" are involved. The scales are a lot easier to use than the PMs.

ps - I know my vote doesn't count, but it didn't count in the last presidential election either, and that didn't stop me from voting.
sure your vote counted! I guess your guy didn't win, eh?

's ok Ted - my vote didn't count even when the guy won back in '00.

But I got news fer ya - they never count - it's a charade.

How ya like them applez?

1) members cooperating to manipulating the system to ensure that one member passes the another. The greens have nothing to do with the posts and everything to do with making sure one member 'beats' another. Keeping track of it in the comments makes it even more abusive IMO. It belies the spirit of what reps are supposed to be about - the collective assessment of posts by the membership - and not by just a handful or less of members.
If pm's and rep points are private then how is this is information that you have...You seem to feel that this is all directed at you and it isn't...what I asked was , "if this is our board, why would the system be eliminated without any discussion", and as to your post feeling that I am slamming your rep, has it occurred to you that maybe we ( members) are feeling the same sense of violation in having this taken away without said discussion? As an Admin, sometimes you do take heat...goes with the territory..that's all part of life, and no, it should not be ugly but it does happen. My intent is not to be nasty...I am just annoyed how things were changed.

2) members who have now figured out the 'spread it around' requirement so they 'green' a poster, hit three others quickly, come back to green poster #1, hit another few and then come back to hit #1 again. Sometimes 3 & 4 times in less than an hour.
Is this really the issue? Is this really important as to who has more reps than someone else..I think and will continue to think that being able to give a greenie is a good thing in more cases than not.
As to hitting the same person twice with a greenie..there have been times that someone has posted two different threads that are unrelated and only one green can be given..So I am done with this post..you all will do what you think is best for the greater good of the group....that is a power you have. May you always use it wisely.
I am over it..no matter what has been said, I love FC, I do not agree with the control placed on this issue...and I think it is being totally blown out of proportion on both sides.

Mea Culpa - my name is bloomz and I manipulate the system. Here's how:

I have high reputation points and the real reason here is....

I give a gaggle of them out. I give them to anyone saying anything nice - I give them to people I vehemently disagree with like Sfox, flowerknife, and Sharonbunnigan, (the liberal hater), to show that our "disagreements" are in good nature - I give them to anyone who says something nice, like I loved the person yesterday who said "Won't this be cool when we survive this?" I gave last week to Tom Carlson for his positivity thread. I gave some to Mac last week when he tried to post something well thought out that got misinterpreted, and was in the firing line. I give them to new people trying to encourage them to not be a lurker and join the discussions. I give them to people I feel are valued posters just to make them feel good. I gave a lot to a person who was going to leave here to get them to stay. I give them if someone is having a bad day to cheer them up.

Can we be too nice? - Can we give each other too many positive strokes?

Well I don't think so.

Do opinions vary? I don't really see why they would in this case. But obviously they do to some.

heck I can't even begin count how many I give out. Apparently some people like me and some even possibly respect my business acumen.

But one thing to be noted in this guilty plea is, every single one I've gotten - somebody else clicked the button to give it to me - I didn't reach into their computer and click it for me. I thank you all for that.

Everybody likes to feel good. By making others feel good - I get some feel good back on me. (know that saying "Happiness is like perfume - you can't put it on someone else without getting some of it on you")

Want more? Give more! - simple as that.

So yeah, I'm guilty as he11 of manipulating by being too nice and passing them around too much. What a terrible thing.

Send me to the 'lectric chair. Horrendous form of manipulation this is. Shame on me - bad bloomz.

Now I do think the admins should be in a league of their own for the work they do up in here, duly noted - I think they should have a class of their own and be above the rep system.

I don't want them to feel unappreciated. If I've made someone feel bad by making someone else feel good I apologize, sincerely.

But I really don't want anyone to feel unappreciated. This is the "spirit of the community" for me.

The reputation system is a "feel good system" - let's use it to make one another feel good? Anyone see anything wrong or egregious about that?

Hey it's my day off and since veiled references in this thread were about me - I felt it prudent to give just a little background.

My name is bloomz and I approved this post.

blessings.....

ah Bloomz, yur so warm and fuzzy.I just wuvz you!
that was a good post. I'd give you a green dot if I could!

I Like you

I likey Bloomz. He seems to have a lot of days off though. Hmmm.
How many years do you have to own your shop before you can take a vacation anyway. I'm on 2.5 and thinking in about 8 more months I can take off a week. Please God.

Cathy, Ryan, Boss and others on the Admin Team:

I have to agree with Ted. Please keep the # of posts (it's revelent to me as to the length of time on FC, without going into the poster's details. Please keep the scales on the top, so that I can send a quicky comment to the poster (I agree or I don't agree).

I don't care about rep points. I'm not here for that. To me, at least, it's like keeping track of how many Valentines you got in 3rd grade --- and I generally did not get many.

I don't think that most of us came to this place originally for the rep points (maybe the wine, the hor'd and milk??) but not the rep points.

I think people are annoyed with the suddenness of the change, and the concequences (from their perscpective) of this change.

I came to FC to learn, to express ideas, to give guidance when I have knowledge and to seek the same. To have good conversations with fellow people who have a similar profession, but may have a different idea on our businesses. I have learned many, many things in the last 3 years.

I consider this to be Global networking at its finest.

I'm truly sorry that you all have been in the firing line. I know that what you do here is a very hard & impossible task.

I just hope that FC will always be open to us florists, who need to talk about all kinds of things, big & small, who need advice, opinions, or just a friendly ear to listen.

Regards to all,
Cheryl

I'm somewhat amused........
With SOOOO many things going on, is the "dot diet" REALLY that important??

My thoughts exactly.

Keep in mind that admins are volunteers. They have been doing a heck of jobs here, for the benefit of every one of us.

I won't complain, just becaue I might do things differently. I think that such criticism would be unkind, considering all the efforts they are putting in *for us* every single day.

It's like going to a house party and complaining about the food they served.

My thoughts exactly.

Keep in mind that admins are volunteers. They have been doing a heck of jobs here, for the benefit of every one of us.

I won't complain, just becaue I might do things differently. I think that such criticism would be unkind, considering all the efforts they are putting in *for us* every single day.

I think flowerchat is amazing and can only imagine how much time and
work it involves for the admins.
I personally like giving and especially receiving a green dot, especially
from a long time, respected member.
I think we all have something valuable to share, which is the point
of this forum. It's nice to be recognized, but, not the end of the
world if the dots go away.
Thanks to everyone who keeps the forum going and how about if we
focus on Reds and Greens for the holiday!

This is a funny thread. Making me laugh.

Personally, I like the dots. Makes me feel good when I receive or give one. Is it important? - probably not.

Sometimes, I feel like Cathy and Ryan have to act as babysitters.
A by product of a forum that is so open and allowing. When we go at each other's throats - doesn't look so good to the outside public (one can step in at anytime and take a peak).
I also think that these are hard, draining, stressful times, and we may make more knee jerk reactions than in happier times. A little crabbier.

I've only been on this forum a year. In recent months, I've seen some somewhat ugly words come about. Sad, but true.

These are times when we need to stick together more than ever. To share thoughts and ideas to help us survive. Not fight, or bicker over petty, somewhat meaningless trite.

And as far as the admins being volunteer, I don't necessarily think that right. I think that there should be a fee structure to belong. The same as belonging to an organization. I can only image the time to takes to moniter such a forum. Time that could be spent making money somewhere else.

My two cents

I do hate it when we're fussing with each other, but that's how families are.

Personally, I do like those pat-on-the-back green dots. I like FlowerChat even more. I'd gladly sacrifice the former to keep the latter.

It's nice to be recognized, but, not the end of the
world if the dots go away.

Personally, I do like those pat-on-the-back green dots. I like FlowerChat even more. I'd gladly sacrifice the former to keep the latter.

Just to reiterate: The rep system has not gone away. The difference is you can no longer gain points by posting funny cat pictures (which are awesome) or making comments in the politics forum.

Ryan

Reactions: BJBouquets
When we go at each other's throats - doesn't look so good to the outside public (one can step in at anytime and take a peak).

And as far as the admins being volunteer, I don't necessarily think that right. I think that there should be a fee structure to belong.
Cherrie, the forums are private, the "public" can not just pop in and have a look see...

As to your second thought.... :spin

Hey Admins, can we have plaid dots for Christmas ??? Maybe a red tartan, you know like Christmas plaid ribbon, for red dots and a green plaid instead of a greenie ?? Just to be festive.........

Gee Bloomzie, I'm crushed, and I thought you liked my posts...... :dunno: :>

Rock on ...............................................

I like your posts, and I like you Rockster...

Reactions: Rock
we now have 76 posts about "dots".......
How often do we get 76 posts about things that are REALLY important??
Know what??...YOU guys have my dots...a little Christmas present, for those of you that feel the need!!
I'll go help at the food shelter, grab 'em while I'm gone!!

Reactions: Queen of Weddings
You know Mike, I'm just tired enough to react to that... unfavourably.

By the way, the shelter does well by me as well.

hey I LIKE the thumbs up dealy-o!!

That was a good call whoever came up with that!
I really like that there is no thumbs down!

But if there were it'd be great if it were public just like the thumbs down.

LOVE IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.