what happened to the rep power??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still see the dots but not the number (except for my own number when I sign in or visit the user control panel).

If this is by design I like the change in that it de-emphasizes the points. It was easy to get hung up on them before - maybe if they are no longer front and center they will be less of an issue.

Reactions: 1 person
Tracy - it's still there when you first log on. It's not appearing on the individual posts.

I like it.

:)

Also the scales are missing on some threads, how can i green dot people. Oh i am having withdrawals. I feel naked without my power lol.

Just from poking around it seems like the scales are still there in the relevant/meaningful sections related to the industry and gone from the sidebar areas like chat and humor.

If that is by design I think it makes great sense - this is a board for people in flower industry so any rep points should be awarded for their knowledge in that area and not as high-fives for jokes, shared political opinions, etc.

If this is what has happened I really like the change! To me this kind of constant evolution is what makes this forum so great.

Just from poking around it seems like the scales are still there in the relevant/meaningful sections related to the industry and gone from the sidebar areas like chat and humor.

If that is by design I think it makes great sense - this is a board for people in flower industry so any rep points should be awarded for their knowledge in that area and not as high-fives for jokes, shared political opinions, etc.

If this is what has happened I really like the change! To me this kind of constant evolution is what makes this forum so great.

Oooooooh! I wanted to give you a green dot but I can't ;)

This is the answer Ryan just gave me. It looks to me that some of us are giving too many compliments (my thoughts and reasons for using the rep system). For some reason the powers that be thought we should only be able to give "compliments" on the "important" stuff.

Things that make you go "hmmmm".

I'm also confused at why we can't see our rep power.....makes no sense to me at all. It is now some kind of secret?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(here's Ryans response to my question)

Twila,

There's nothing wrong - we've just tightened up the rep system. Some people were trying to game the system by rep'ing their "clique" repeatedly to boost each other. Others were going rep-crazy in the politics area. We've also removed the rep from social forums - politics, chat, jokes, etc - so that the rep scores will better reflect the core content and focus of FlowerChat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the answer Ryan just gave me. It looks to me that some of us are giving too many compliments (my thoughts and reasons for using the rep system). For some reason the powers that be thought we should only be able to give "compliments" on the "important" stuff.

http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=92421

I'm also confused at why we can't see our rep power.....makes no sense to me at all. It is now some kind of secret?
oh brother..........

I like to give compliments so i suppose i am guilty and i have received some too which you all know makes me fuzzy. If i want to compliment someone now i have to do it in a thread which i thought would just clog a thread up. as you american lot say dang!!

I see that Ryan's response didn't show up...so I editted my post and copied it this time....So look at my previous post to read it.

There's nothing wrong - we've just tightened up the rep system. Some people were trying to game the system by rep'ing their "clique" repeatedly to boost each other. Others were going rep-crazy in the politics area. We've also removed the rep from social forums - politics said:
I don't disagree with this.

I like to give compliments so i suppose i am guilty and i have received some too which you all know makes me fuzzy. If i want to compliment someone now i have to do it in a thread which i thought would just clog a thread up. as you american lot say dang!!
You could always send them a private message, as was the original intent of the design of the system.

[quote ]There's nothing wrong - we've just tightened up the rep system. Some people were trying to game the system by rep'ing their "clique" repeatedly to boost each other. Others were going rep-crazy in the politics area. We've also removed the rep from social forums - politics, chat, jokes, etc - so that the rep scores will better reflect the core content and focus of FlowerChat. [/quote]

I thought you couldn't "game" the system. You can't give one person dots repeatedly, which I assumed was supposed to prevent problems. And, maybe people weren't giving reps to their "clique" to boost each other, maybe they were just agreeing. But I don't have all the inside scoop. Just thought I'd mention it.

I hand out rep a lot, many times for apparently the "wrong reasons". No biggy, since the purpose of rep is becoming less and less important to me, personally. I learn more about someone's "rep" by their posts, their words - kind of like learning about a customer's personality by their actions instead of the car they roll up in. ;)

I like the change, the more subtle nature of it. Good job Ryan & the admin team!

I'm personally saddened by the change and it's timing. Rhonda has gone above and beyond to help me out and I can't give her a green dot. So I'm doing it here and there so everyone can see.

V

(here's Ryans response to my question)

Twila,

There's nothing wrong - we've just tightened up the rep system. Some people were trying to game the system by rep'ing their "clique" repeatedly to boost each other. Others were going rep-crazy in the politics area. We've also removed the rep from social forums - politics, chat, jokes, etc - so that the rep scores will better reflect the core content and focus of FlowerChat.

Who determines what the 'core, content and focus" of flowerchat is???
Seems a bit controlling to me...kinda like..if you don;t play by my rules, I will change the rules each and every time I don't like it. We are adults..do I care if someone gives reps to another person continually..no...there is no "prize" for this so why would anyone be concerned how many reps anybody has. I just think it is childish to have changed the rep power three times in the last year...
jmo..guess it I get red dotted on this , none of you will know...lol

If I could green dot you Sher, I would.

V

Sorry guys...but I don't like it even ONE little bit. One of the best things about FC is the chance to get to know each other and give pats on the back. Now that has been (partly) taken away.

I have made alot of very good friends...some of them largely because of the green dots I have given as well as recieved. Honestly, I don't even know what "Rep Power" that I have, but find it interresting that we can no longer see it when we post.

There are a good many threads...noteworthy threads...posted in "chat and jokes that are very valuable and deserve an "atta boy" or "atta girl". For example geebf just posted about what she has decided to do for Christmas Gifts. She is donating gifts in her guests name to different organizations or where that $ is needed. I see that as something I/we could do for our businesses as well as personally. That deserves a greenie or compliment. There are many more as well.

How about when Bloomz posted in "Chat" that he had 15 years clean and sober. Did that not have the possibility of encouraging and giving hope to others with similar problems....that with perserverance any of us can overcome and succeed in business?

Three weeks ago Tom Carlson started a thread on the "Law of Attraction". I found it to be a great reminder on the importance of being possitive. It can not only affect our personal lives, but also an excellent reminder for Business as well.

Two weeks ago, Luc started a thread about carrying tuxedos in his store. I found it very helpful, as I too have been considering them in the store as a way to bring in extra income.

These are only four examples of what I consider noteworthy threads that deserve greenies. But who am I??? There have been tons more of great threads.

Mark suggested that we should send a PM to those people instead. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't always have time to do that. It is very easy to send a green dot instead. When a pm is sent, I always feel that I need to answer it. That will take the additional time as well.

You should know by now that I am not one to "buck the system" or post negatively. This just happens to really bug me today. This is nothing but Censorship...excuse me but I thought we were in America (as well other free countries). Who gives "the powers that be" the right to decide what is worthy comment and what is not??? Excuse me, but I thought it was the membership of the FlowerChat nation to decide that and the person that was affected by the post. And who is it really that is worried about who has the most points or not...Really? I'm pretty sure that the majority of us are not worried about that!

Well after this rant, I guess I should be happy that the rep system is no longer available to this thread. I'm sure that there will be some that are rubbed the wrong way to my thoughts...so you won't be able to give me a red dot.

It could possibly be that I am having a bad day...but I guess you all get to be on the recieving end of it.

Twila, if I could green you I would... because you spoke my thoughts eloquently.

I'm tired of the messing with the rep power... truly. I may not be a full time floral person anymore, but I do believe I have things of value to share. This new system is narrowing the playing field to a point of exclusivity... sad really.

V

Status
Not open for further replies.