what happened to the rep power??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Lady V....I guess I just do not like censorship in any shape....
In refelcting back on the green dots I have given, some were because the person posting always kept a clear head, some needed a boost, some raised my eyebrows and made me think, some posted about their sobriety and deserved recogniton, some always had a good idea so I am really more than appalled that this has changed. It reeks of censorship.
If you want to talk about the focus, core etc of what FC started out, then taking this away..well, it started out to be a place just for florists...since then, our focus, core etc changed and we have opened our doors to many who are on the sidelines of the industry, some who have left the florist industry, some who have retired, some who just needed a place to keep their spirits up, some who might never be able to be a Real Florist except for what they learn here, others who had to keep their identity quiet but needed us....this is a sad day in my books. Each and everyone of those folks who joined have contributed and have earned their rep powers whether it be 1 or 169 points.How dare anyone take that away..Anyone. Many could not "post" a response for a variety of reasons but they could use the rep points to let someone know that they agreed by giving a greenie... ....to continually change it reeks of censorhip by admins..I am at loss for words to comprehend this and I am disappointed by this exercise of control.
Sher

You guys raise some really great points. We are all here for different reasons.

Perhaps it is possible to give points for each section? Business, Chat, Jokes etc. Maybe good chatters could get points for chatting, and good business people could get points for good business discussion and each area would have a different level.

WHAT THE HECK?? I need more reds for my greens before Christmas.

I have obsessive compulsive disorder and if i don't have the same amount of greens as i do reds Santa is going to give me IBS for Christmas!

Noooooooooooooooooo!!! NOT IBS!!!!!!!

/craps his pants

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!

Thank you Empress... I'm against censorship as well. As a long time member of this community/family, I am disappointed and saddened by this turn of events. In all walks of my life, professional or otherwise I am always inclined to offer positive support. Green dots have been that method for me here... now they are taking that away. Disappointed and honestly, pissed and for those who know me, that's quite a feat.

V

I need points and rep power because I am insecure and need people to like me.

IBS!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

On a serious note.. I agree with V.

I think that communities should be involve in community decisions like this. Full transparency is the new game for online social networking and good practice imo.

But hey, what do i know, I'm the guy getting IBS in my stocking this year cause of you guys not allowing me to get red dots.

/washes hands

12 345
12 345

/jumps over cracks

12 345

And Brandon... a fantasy dot for you. I may have to find another venue or thread on this forum to pass out positivity. It won't make any dam n sense to the conversation, but hey, I'll have my say.

V

They will change it back V... watch. No one messes with V on this forum.. NO ONE! The only time I have ever seen V this mad was when I called her a no good scally wag, that was a mistake I won't be making ever again! I still limp.

censor this: /shows you his boobs

Power to the people! The people want it back so we can abuse it and give only our friends green dots and our enemies red dots!

Power to the people! Don't treat us like kids!

- when we get it back I am so giving the people who changed this so many red dots. So many!

It makes me feel more superior when I can let someone know their opinion is wrong by giving them a red dot. Please help my ego! :(

p.s. I love it when you call me Brandon V.. it sounds so thexy! ;)

I've said it before - I'm not into popularity contests, I just don't give a stuff if "such and such" is worth more "points"

BUT

If " points" are such an important feature to our Flowerchat experience, please fill me in cause I just don't get it.....As Sher pointed out why is there so much emphasis on who gets them and why?

This is what I said in the last discussion about "points".. ( Oh and by the way my question was never answered)

" All I can see is that they don't have any real Merit or value to the "rep" system anyway - especially when it seems that they are "averaged" out by the Mods every now and then - If someones wants to explain that to me I'm listening?

To me the only value they bring is the opportunity to interact with others."

I do however care about being able to interact with others. Basically this is what those little scales meant to me..... ( a quick way to interact) Wether it was to give a compliment, or out of jest for what was written. I do think that the scales were/are an important part of this community - dosn't interaction between us help towards being comfortable and feeling like we belong as well as boosting confidence towards ultimatly becoming an active contributor?

This just in: A certain members here, which we will call D, has threaten to give the admins red dots for taking away rep power, so we will need to start monitoring private messages now.

This just in: I'm a smart a$$

This just in: I have been banned.

I joke, come on lighten up people! I love this place! It's that time of the year to be Marry... and for male cross dressers, it's the most wonderful time of the year.

IfAs Sher pointed out why is there so much emphasis on who gets them and why?

This is what I said in the last discussion about "points".. ( Oh and by the way my question was never answered)

" All I can see is that they don't have any real Merit or value to the "rep" system anyway - especially when it seems that they are "averaged" out by the Mods every now and then - If someones wants to explain that to me I'm listening?

To me the only value they bring is the opportunity to interact with others."

I do however care about being able to interact with others. Basically this is what those little scales meant to me..... ( a quick way to interact) Wether it was to give a compliment, or out of jest for what was written. I do think that the scales were/are an important part of this community - dosn't interaction between us help towards being comfortable and feeling like we belong as well as boosting confidence towards ultimatly becoming an active contributor?

My thoughts exactly! There are many that are uneasy about posting a comment. When someone gives them a "Green Dot or Compliment" for what they have to say, they feel better about what they have to share. And it is easier for them to do the next time. I believes it encourages everyone to add to the forum instead of just being a "Lurker".

Brandon my love, I'm a great believer in names... you know, the one your cherished parents gave you. Tho, I'm tho very happy to call you Brandon, becauthe it maketh you feel thexy.

You see, I believe every post has merit and it's not up to me judge what is "valuable" or "worthy".

V

Ok - to those why pushed the "send" button quicker than I.. Here goes....

Twila - A million, gazillion Purple dots for you my Friend - I told you to go for it and you did -Well written and straight to the point - I like it.! -

Sher - A million Gazillion Green dots for you too..! Power to the people.!

Oh Heck - I'll just give everyone a Million Gazillion Green, purple or whatever takes your fancy colour dots too.......

I've never understood why it was necessary to adjust the weighting of the rep system several times in a short period and to now practically do away with it all together.

I've always known rep systems on every other board I've been a part of to be a way of giving a pat on the back to a fellow member or to keep an out of line member in check. It's a fun game for the "people". It's nothing more than a popularity contest, so what's the big deal?

I recall in past threads it was inferred that it was important that an admin carry high rep points. Who the he!l cares if an admin has more or less rep points than a member? I think the majority here have the ultimate respect for the admins regardless, so why do a few green dots make a difference?

I'll admit, I liked the rep system, it was fun, but in reality it's not a big deal. I can take it or leave it. But it was the constant tinkering of it with no real explanation is what was annoying. It really comes across as an ego thing in my opinion.

"Opinions vary" -bloomz

I've never understood why it was necessary to adjust the weighting of the rep system several times in a short period and to now practically do away with it all together.

I've always known rep systems on every other board I've been a part of to be a way of giving a pat on the back to a fellow member or to keep an out of line member in check. It's a fun game for the "people". It's nothing more than a popularity contest, so what's the big deal?

I recall in past threads it was inferred that it was important that an admin carry high rep points. Who the he!l cares if an admin has more or less rep points than a member? I think the majority here have the ultimate respect for the admins regardless, so why do a few green dots make a difference?

I'll admit, I liked the rep system, it was fun, but in reality it's not a big deal. I can take it or leave it. But it was the constant tinkering of it with no real explanation is what was annoying. It really comes across as an ego thing in my opinion.

"Opinions vary" -bloomz

Exactly.

Million Gazillion Dots for you too.....

This just in: A certain members here, which we will call D, has threaten to give the admins red dots for taking away rep power, so we will need to start monitoring private messages now.

This just in: I'm a smart a$$

This just in: I have been banned.

I joke, come on lighten up people! I love this place! It's that time of the year to be Marry... and for male cross dressers, it's the most wonderful time of the year.

Well - A million gazillion Dots for you for being a Smart A$$ with a sense of humour..!

Thanks for all those dots, but if you keep that up, the word 'dots' will be band.

I wonder if an Admin got a red dot and got their feelings hurt or an Admin looked at all of JB's green dots from the Political forum and thought, he doesn't deserve green dots, that post was lame. I wonder what the spark was to end the rep?

Like a few here have said, I think the rep thing is not needed, but it makes a lot of people here happy. FC has been built by people like Victoria and Sher and when a large decision is made like this without the community involved, it feels a little less theirs now. How about a family type post asking the communities opinions? Yeah maybe we won't all agree, but at least we feel our voice has been heard. Family is what you have here... I'm the brother everyone is embarrassed to take out.....and without the community, there is no FC.

I will miss the green dots!!!! I handed them out alot, perhaps too much (like Twila).

What I liked about them over sending someone a PM is that I can jot down my thought and return to the thread. If I have to PM someone, it navigates me away from the thread...by the time I have finished writing my thought to the poster, I have lost the thread...and forgotten the point altogether.

Maybe it's a blonde thing, but I need a little note pad like the dots to keep me focused!!!!! :beer

Brandon may have OCD, but I clearly have ADD!!!!!

It just wouldn't be a normal week on FC without some kind of conspiracy theory admin bashing. S'ok - we're used to it.

You all love coming to FlowerChat - the community is what is it because of the members, AND because of the hard work and guidance of the admin team. Just look at the other forum(s) with absentee leadership and let me know how well they are doing.

It also wouldn't be a floral holiday season without some big row. Happens every time, every season. If we can deflect that criticism here instead of repeatedly bashing each other over WS affiliations that works for me.

We make decisions based on our belief for what is in the best interest of FlowerChat as a whole.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.