Are experienced designers a dying breed? Cannot find help!

radarkusje

Aug 24, 2010
hell
State / Prov
mi
I am amazed that we just cannot find any experienced designers! We are a full service shop with 2 locations and we need good people. We have had ads in everything available with no success. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look for designers?

I am amazed that we just cannot find any experienced designers! We are a full service shop with 2 locations and we need good people. We have had ads in everything available with no success. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look for designers?

yes, they are dying, quitting, and being "forced" to quit due to ailments, and burnout......"experienced" designers are on the world extinction list

yes, they are dying, quitting, and being "forced" to quit due to ailments, and burnout......"experienced" designers are on the world extinction list
That and our business models need to change to include higher wages for those that butter our bread.

For several years we've run design classes in the summer months. We charge $29.95 per. class and (they take home the flowers arr.) and it runs for 4 weeks. The class starts out with about 6 - 8 and usually end up at 4 or so. Most are "garden club" type ladies, but we usually seem to find one a year that we can employee. If they do good we then ask them to attend a "design school" and some do and some don't. We've found several designers over the last 10 years that way. We even sent one to desgin shcool and took $20 a week out of her pay until complete with a 2 year employement agreement.
Downside, we've lost some of them to "competitors" so we send them a "fully" trained designer....................and they know all of our trade secrets. All of the trades in the US are suffering, no-body wants to learn the trades anymore, everybody wants alot of money, no-supervision, or supervisory positions and pay for 40 hr week but work 20. But, we're plugging along.

I usually hire inexperienced designer wannabe's and train them myself. That way they aren't in a rut doing what their old boss wanted and using poor habits they can't break. Some times they move on and I trained them for a competitor but that's life. Pay scale in this industry is definately keeping people from learning the trade. I don't see that changing any time soon since the bad economy means we don't have money offer higher wages.

Reactions: anytimeflowers
What should an experienced designer make per hour, anyway? I'm clueless. I have had three part-timers (NOT designers) in the past 12 years, and the last two have been at $10/hr. This includes my daughter who currently works on Sat. and holidays.

Yep

Yesterday was the last day for one of our designers. She is leaving the industry and i don't blame her. She loves working for us and has done so for 3 years. But she need to make more money and her $11.00 an hour is just not enough.

I know I couldn't do it.

What should an experienced designer make per hour, anyway? I'm clueless. I have had three part-timers (NOT designers) in the past 12 years, and the last two have been at $10/hr. This includes my daughter who currently works on Sat. and holidays.
$15 min/hr

For several years we've run design classes in the summer months. We charge $29.95 per. class and (they take home the flowers arr.) and it runs for 4 weeks. The class starts out with about 6 - 8 and usually end up at 4 or so. Most are "garden club" type ladies, but we usually seem to find one a year that we can employee. If they do good we then ask them to attend a "design school" and some do and some don't. We've found several designers over the last 10 years that way. We even sent one to desgin shcool and took $20 a week out of her pay until complete with a 2 year employement agreement.
Downside, we've lost some of them to "competitors" so we send them a "fully" trained designer....................and they know all of our trade secrets. All of the trades in the US are suffering, no-body wants to learn the trades anymore, everybody wants alot of money, no-supervision, or supervisory positions and pay for 40 hr week but work 20. But, we're plugging along.

I would try this method. I know it works because I have found several designers over the years using this method. He is right.....about 1 out of 25 in the class are good enough to send to school and train. And, I do recommend that they go to a certified design school. If you want reasons, we can start a whole new thread on this one.

However, I have never lost one of these designers to a competitor over the years. They always seem to stay with me until a life change makes them go elsewhere.

I would have to say that to get a really truely experienced designer you will need to pay 12.00-15.00 an hour....anything less and you are going to get a whole lot of people who think they know what they are doing but don't...even still, I am very convinced that the perfect employee comes along every 10th one, all else in between have their challenges...

Maybe in Alabama, cost for an experienced designer may be lower, not sure..I am in Boston and in the city this is what newly acquired experienced designers can expect to get paid...If you have major accolades and the attitude to go along with it, you may be able to garner more with one of the very few companies that need someone like that, but most don't need designers at all, they need a gopher, counter clerk, or so they think!!!

Wages for an experienced designer like myself pushed me out of the industry. It's inherent in retail, experience is wanted but not rewarded or valued appropropriately.

V

Just for the record......I have a sister-in-law who works for a high-end grocery store, in the floral dept. I believe she makes about $15, less union dues. She is not a designer.

I have worked for micro shops, High end grocery store, mid grocery stores, High end shops, etc.
I will say a lot of my marketing skills I got when I worked in the grocery stores.
The opportunities and pay rate that a grocery store offers seems to me to be almost better than working for a traditional florist. A sad pity really.

I have worked for micro shops, High end grocery store, mid grocery stores, High end shops, etc.
I will say a lot of my marketing skills I got when I worked in the grocery stores.
The opportunities and pay rate that a grocery store offers seems to me to be almost better than working for a traditional florist. A sad pity really.
You are very correct. Union/Benefits etc is a big thing to consider.

I think it's different for the micro business than it is for the bigger guys with 10+ employees. We expect a lot more of our designers than just plop and drop, or even weddings. They run the shop, including much of what Buffie used to do before we had the baby. They are the lifeblood of the business. Unfortunately we can't pay them what they really deserve yet. But we will.

Reactions: anytimeflowers
I personally disagree that the big guys have it any better then a smaller shop.

As far as what I expect a $15 an hour designer can do? Everything. From designing, to great communication skills with customers.

Someone that does such a good job that your customer stops asking for the owner and ask for that designer.