Funeral Pics

Thanks Jenifer! She had a lot of mechanics showing, she used wood picks to glue the handle to the guitar. We figured given the opportunity we would have inserted the wood into the styro and stuck the handle down onto it, holding it together with pan glue. Depending on the funds we thought of maybe covering the back with foliage like Asp. leaves. I know it sounds silly but hers actually snapped at the handle in the wind and it got us thinking. They are so amazing to look at, yours is awesome, I love the pins in the buttons!
Anywho it's like when you go to a design show, you always try to pick it up and see how it's put together LOL

Reactions: KABERS
Just an added note to the breakage discussion. A friend of mine across town recently did a shamrock out of the styro-oasis sheets. They were called back to the funeral home THREE times because it kept breaking. As they tried to fix it, some of the oasis came off, I'm sure from hitting the floor.

I carry a styrofoam cross covered with birch bark and it is quite popular at Christmas for the graveyard. After the first time somebody told me one of the cross pieces snapped off in the wind, I started re-enforcing it in the back with heavy left-over curly willow branches crossed and then use greening pins to hold it in place. In the case of these sheets I think I would do the same, except I'd probably even wire or tape them together.

Reactions: DFlorist
I'm a strong believer in mechanics, mechanics, mechanics! The guitar wasn't suspended by the neck at all but the body. I also glued greening pins in the back and wired them to the easle so the weight wasn't concentrated in one area. I heard from the family and the funeral home - Thrilled!

I too am a STRONG believer in MECHANICS. When I do a set peice that has to be assembled in pieces, like attaching the neck to the body of the guitar. I use 6 inch wood picks ( non-wired ) glued into each section......then impale each section....and then, before the pieces are fully joined....I use another pick to smear pan glue in the crevicees and then push the peices together.

if I have to attach oasis to the pieces, then I use oasis that is split in half lengthwise and pan glue it DRY to the styrofoam.

Reactions: dlnfloral
Jenifer that is beautiful, did you spray carns blue or is that something else?

Just an added note to the breakage discussion. A friend of mine across town recently did a shamrock out of the styro-oasis sheets. They were called back to the funeral home THREE times because it kept breaking. As they tried to fix it, some of the oasis came off, I'm sure from hitting the floor.

I carry a styrofoam cross covered with birch bark and it is quite popular at Christmas for the graveyard. After the first time somebody told me one of the cross pieces snapped off in the wind, I started re-enforcing it in the back with heavy left-over curly willow branches crossed and then use greening pins to hold it in place. In the case of these sheets I think I would do the same, except I'd probably even wire or tape them together.
Linda,
Who do you get your birch bark crosses from? We used to get some from JW Perry but they don't have them anymore. I had that cross on our website and it was really popular and now I've had to remove it. Would love to get those crosses back in.

Only one problem I see with your picture.

Its not on your website yet!!!
I hear you Eric! I was waiting till after the funeral to put it on facebook and i'm wishy washy about putting it on the website. I don't think I want it as a product choice but would rather have a page of "specialty - personalized" arrangements we've made. Same thing with wedding work. But I havn't figured out the how yet.

Reactions: Eric S
"We want soft colors in pinks, blues, yellows, and whites" Memorial/burial at the cemetery100_4421.JPG

rustic casketspray 2.jpgThis is the casket spray that started out rustic no flowers but they changed their minds on that. Included is his hunting dog statue, moose statue, fishing lures x2 and some ducks..

on a side.. anyone know how to remove the background in Picasa3.??

Melissa

Gorgeous.. big hunting area here, I've used moose sheds as underlayment for designs.. haven't had the pleasure with deer antlers (but hubby has bunches if I ever need them LOL )

Reactions: Blumenhaus
Haven't had a call for set pieces on styro in a while......then this Tuesday took 2 for different services, the violin is on a casket saddle an the gun is for above the casket.

violincasketspray2-500.jpgGun-500.jpg

I won't know how to even start pricing that!

No magic to it at all........just close your eyes and pick a number, I've found that you never really make money on these arrangements.....it's not the flowers (although you'll be surprised at how many you use) but it's the labour, you never get enough for that! drawing it out, cutting the styrofoam then gluing the flowers and adding the trim, it always takes a lot longer than you think.