RC "Expelled"??? (no)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I can learn from RC's posts and his business accumen, he in this instance acted like a child...All of this could have been done through PM and noone would have known about it but himself, BJ and Cathy....He could have learned the simple truths about contests and that there is no spirit..The rules are the rules...and the rules need to be cast in iron to make sure people cannot bend them...

There were 12 winners..Rc and BJ both would have been winners with or without solicitation. BJ was not the only one reminding people to have a look and vote...It wasn't against the rules...it also was not neccessary for you to vote if you got a solicitation. If I personally got a solicitation, I may have passed over that person because I would feel offended by that...but that is me..I voted on the ones I wanted to vote on...

I have said this in the past and I will say it again...RC can and has been a pompous ass in the past. He gets a certain attitude that he is better than some people (and without a doubt he is far better than some people in many things) but right now he is throwing stomes in a glass house, because he is saying that AIFD people act like they are better than some people..This type of attitude sucks from all walks of life, whether designers, employers, friends, family...it just sucks to be that way period...That is what ruins the spirit of a well meaning contest and a nice community.

My God what would have happened if this was a one winner competition...we may as well have closed the board and opened a boxing ring...Let's all grow up and take ourselves seriously...I am sure that this whole thing has made some people wish they never entered and has nailed the coffin shut on them ever actually entering a big contest...I know it makes me leary...but this is competition some people take it gracefully, and some take it shiitty, there is always one crybaby at the end that feels somehow wronged in every competition..it goes with the territory...some people just always have to be #1 and cannot see the value in being #2 or #3 or even the value in just entering the dang contest...There is alot of merit even in that...but for some just not enough..

Reactions: 2 people
I think he thought it was about the flowers.

Hence, I understand his statement about "clubs" and can see why he feels that way.
I call BS. ::BS

Go back and look at the entries. More than one AIFD member participated and not every one made the top 12.

IMO some of the most helpful and educational comments were caringly written by AIFD members who had nothing to gain except the joy of knowing they shared their insights.

If someone has a chip on their shoulder about a group, nothing the group members do will ever been seen as worthy.

Reactions: 4 people
Thank you Cathy. If I could give you a million green dots for that post, I would.

Reactions: 1 person
I remember when Twila did the Sylvia cup and the extreme bitterness I saw in the hall outside afterwards by one contestant. I don't know enough about these things to know if it goes with the territory or not.

just clarifying...
I just wanted to make sure that you all know that it wasn't me making the fuss about not winning. It was someone else. It was a great experience to just participate...as I'm sure "most" of the participants have felt in this contest.

I am sure that this whole thing has made some people wish they never entered and has nailed the coffin shut on them ever actually entering a big contest...I know it makes me leary....
As a first time ever contestant, I could care less about all the BS around this whole thing. I had fun, took the comments, or LACK of comments, in stride and am excited to participate again. As for soliciting votes, or being livid at the solicitation of votes - again, could care less. Not for me, but if someone chooses to do that, then so be it.

Cathy, don't give up! Do it again!

I value RC as a poster.
I hope if RC left because of this, he has a change of heart.
I value BJ as a poster.
I hope if BJ is abstaining from posting because of this, he has a change of heart.

tracy

Hence, I understand his statement about "clubs" and can see why he feels that way.
I call BS. ::BS

Go back and look at the entries. More than one AIFD member participated and not every one made the top 12.

IMO some of the most helpful and educational comments were caringly written by AIFD members who had nothing to gain except the joy of knowing they shared their insights.

If someone has a chip on their shoulder about a group, nothing the group members do will ever been seen as worthy.

:dunno:I didn't say I concurred - I said I can see why he feels that way.:dunno:

I can also understand why he has the "chip" on his shoulder about them, and again I didn't say I concurred.

It's a gift to have insight into both sides of an issue. Remember, my baby sister has one of those Gold Pins, hugely due to my pushing for it.

AIFD by the way had utterly nothing to do with this "contest" IMHO.

So I'm afraid I'm gonna have to drop the ::BS flag on your ::BSflag.

lol

PS - I am not beating up on Cathy :yourock:-

it was a great effort and fun for many. It's a darn shame it had to end up with sour feelings, but I am guessing it goes with the territory.

and that's what my green dot to her is gonna say.

I think where the issue orginally arose, was that for many of us that have never entered into a design contest, we were unaware that "soliciting or asking for a critique" was acceptable. This is what RC was talking about in the first place...then I believe he was told by Ryan that his comments were "beneath him" and they were removed...this was unacceptable to RC..his comments..his opinions..and they were removed...I guess that falls under 'Ryans board, Ryans rules category."
which allows him to be the remover of what he deems unacceptable posts....
BJ who has entered numerous competitions asked for "Critiques" and the list that RC showed on the removed post, showed that some of the last minute voters ( on BJs design) were from folks that had almost never posted a comment on anything..which could lead one to believe that the "deck had been stacked". I was surprised that this was ok to do as well...so the next time I will know better...had our design not placed, I would have been ok with that..it was after all a learning experience...I just never knew how sensitive it would become nor how mean many of the comments would be.
I can see why both guys felt unhappy and have retreated ...hopefully only until they have both cooled off
Someone wrote I am more surprised by RC's behavior than anything during this whole thing. It blows my mind that a 47 year old man would get this angry over absolutely nothing.
I can disagree with the behavior of both but I don't think that it is "nothing" to either of these very dedicated guys...both of which offer much to the industry.
Perhaps we should all just let this drop and stop trying to put our "swing" into it...let them cool off and perhaps contact them individually...there are always two sides to actions and sometimes it is hard to understand the whys and wherefores but both are entitled to have them.....as well as to not have to appreciate our opinions either.
Sher

Reactions: 3 people
...This is what RC was talking about in the first place...then I believe he was told by Ryan that his comments were "beneath him" and they were removed...this was unacceptable to RC..his comments..his opinions..and they were removed...I guess that falls under 'Ryans board, Ryans rules category."
which allows him to be the remover of what he deems unacceptable posts...

I was unaware that the comments were removed. I thought that RC had removed them himself. That does make more sense as to why he would be upset.

then I believe he was told by Ryan that his comments were "beneath him" and they were removed...this was unacceptable to RC..his comments..his opinions..and they were removed...I guess that falls under 'Ryans board, Ryans rules category."

I was unaware that the comments were removed. I thought that RC had removed them himself. That does make more sense as to why he would be upset.

Now it's my turn to call BS!! Bollox on that, Sher, my dear ... big time bollox.

I told Randy privately that I felt his comments like "I hope you don't run your life like you did in this contest" <paraphrased> were beneath him because I respect his insight. I felt it was childish and petty for a man who usually posts much better material, so I informed him of that privately.

Randy removed his comments, and Randy decided to voice publically what I had expressed to him privately. His choice, not mine.

Ryan

We were all warned (in no uncertain terms) that comments of an unkind nature would be removed. I know this rule pertained to people's comments about the entries, but Ryan must have felt that this fell within those guidelines?!?!?

I am baffled by his petulant departure...I thought we were all adults here.

He was a great asset to the board. The only great asset, no, but a great asset.

edit: Ryan beat me to the post!

I think where the issue orginally arose, was that for many of us that have never entered into a design contest, we were unaware that "soliciting or asking for a critique" was acceptable. This is what RC was talking about in the first place...then I believe he was told by Ryan that his comments were "beneath him" and they were removed...this was unacceptable to RC..his comments..his opinions..and they were removed...I guess that falls under 'Ryans board, Ryans rules category."
which allows him to be the remover of what he deems unacceptable posts....
BJ who has entered numerous competitions asked for "Critiques" and the list that RC showed on the removed post, showed that some of the last minute voters ( on BJs design) were from folks that had almost never posted a comment on anything..which could lead one to believe that the "deck had been stacked". I was surprised that this was ok to do as well...so the next time I will know better...had our design not placed, I would have been ok with that..it was after all a learning experience...I just never knew how sensitive it would become nor how mean many of the comments would be.
I can see why both guys felt unhappy and have retreated ...hopefully only until they have both cooled off
Someone wrote I am more surprised by RC's behavior than anything during this whole thing. It blows my mind that a 47 year old man would get this angry over absolutely nothing.
I can disagree with the behavior of both but I don't think that it is "nothing" to either of these very dedicated guys...both of which offer much to the industry.
Perhaps we should all just let this drop and stop trying to put our "swing" into it...let them cool off and perhaps contact them individually...there are always two sides to actions and sometimes it is hard to understand the whys and wherefores but both are entitled to have them.....as well as to not have to appreciate our opinions either.
Sher

Just one of the reasons that I love Sher so much! You Rock! Totally agree that we should just let this lie and let them both cool off. It's between them so why are we still talking about it? :boggles:

Cuz we miss them?

Just like we're gonna miss you if you get yer ass up and outa here?

Don't I hear Shangri-La calling???

Now it's my turn to call BS!! Bollox on that, Sher, my dear ... big time bollox.

I told Randy privately that I felt his comments like "I hope you don't run your life like you did in this contest" <paraphrased> were beneath him because I respect his insight. I felt it was childish and petty for a man who usually posts much better material, so I informed him of that privately.

Randy removed his comments, and Randy decided to voice publically what I had expressed to him privately. His choice, not mine.

Ryan

Hopefully my last post on this issue but think on this Ryan..
Had you called me and expressed that opinion on a post that I might have made was "beneath me", do you honestly feel that I would have left the post up???...I would have removed it...so essentially you did not remove it....but perhaps made him feel like maybe he should..and maybe that po'd him......it was a mixed post..some valid points on the manner of voting but hardly expressed in a professional manner, more out of anger or hurt feelings or a sense of right and wrong way to get a vote..who knows,...I am not in either of their heads...and to be fair, just as many felt that asking for a critique was not professional, it was asking for a vote..did you talk to BJ about that? so we can go round forever on this..we need both of these guys as posters..not sure either will ever come back which will be a loss to the community...
Sher.....

Reactions: 3 people
Sorry Sher, but the way the OP was made - it was as if someone here MADE a decision to censor or edit or expel a poster.

No one was expelled. No one was censored or edited and to imply otherwise was to impugn the reputation of the accusees.

Is it OK if a popular member decides to falsely accuse other members of throwing him out? Do you have to have a lower sales volume here before your behaviour is considered rude and boorish?

A Private Message saying "are you really sure you want to say that?" is far more respectful and professional than an in-you-face confrontation that made most of us feel uncomfortable and made me personally regret ever holding a competition.

I consider this episode a quintessential Exhibit A of why really good florists have a difficult time advancing the cause of real florists is a BIG way.

"If you're not 100% exactly my way, then I won't help or participate."

So we have a whole bunch of islands with the water rising.

Reactions: 2 people
Please don't regret the competition, Cathy.
I thought it was a great idea and a great way to get us all who participated to stretch ourselves. I never enter competitions (don't tell Phil). I thoroughly enjoyed the process. I thought the concept was great. It's a shame to allow anyone to put a damper on it.
Personally, I think it is classless to solicit votes. My big question is "why". Was this popularity contest? I didn't perceive it that way. I thought it was a nurturing exercise.
I tried to judge and make honest comments on all of the designs - even though my computer has been on the fritz (now fixed). No one solicited my vote and if someone did, I would tell them how I felt, and then not vote for them.
Please, please, please do this again. It should be a recurring exercise.

in-you-face confrontation that made most of us feel uncomfortable .

A lot of the posts are made up of in-your-face confrontation which makes "somebody" feel uncomfortable.

A Private Message saying "are you really sure you want to say that?" is far more respectful and professional .
Yea, a PM like that would have been more respectful and professional instead of XXXX giving me a red dot with an asinine comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.