tattoos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosh ... didn't realise I had so much power to frighten a man from this distance. Not sure a refined English girl like me knows what a doo-doo is ... given the way this thread is going not sure I should ask. Are you always this manky?

When I started this thread I didn't mean to open any cans of worms.

With that said, I do understand some of the points brought up. I, however, disagree with the closed mindedness of some of these statements.

I agree with the fact that some people that get any body modifications do not know the history or what they are getting themselves into. Some people do go into the artists shops uneducated about the consequences that can come with their choice. There are people that have slipped through the doors of the parlors intoxicated, yes, but now that doesn't happen with professionals. Here is a bit of education on the subject with the rules and regulations from a few creditable sources.

• You cannot tattoo anyone under the age of 18 – even if they appear to be older, unless you are a medical professional and it is being done for medical reasons.

• Although there are no legal age restrictions on body piercing, guidelines from the European Professional Piercers Association suggests that piercing should not be carried out on anyone under 16 without parental consent and the Association of Professional Piercers suggests a minimum age of 18 without such consent. Sited from here.

From the Department of Health, State of Hawaii :

• §11-17-7 Restrictions. (a) It shall be unlawful to tattoo any person who is under
the influence of intoxicating substances. These substances include but shall not be
limited to alcohol, drugs, paints, and glues.
(b)
It shall be unlawful to tattoo any person under the age of eighteen years
without the written consent of the parents or legal guardian. All written consent shall be
kept on file in the tattoo shop.
(c)
No person with any disease in a communicable form or suspected of
having such disease shall engage in tattooing. Such diseases may include but shall not
be limited to the common cold, influenza, tuberculosis, scabies, impetigo, syphilis,
chickenpox, measles (rubella), German measles (rubella), mumps, whooping cough,
hepatitis, infection on hands or arms, sore throat or jaundice. The director may require
a certificate signed by a duly licensed physician stating that the tattoo artist is free from
communicable disease before returning to work. [Eff. SEP 18 1981] (Auth: HRS
§§321-10, 321-13) (Imp: HRS §321-13)

There are some very serious illnesses that can come with any body modifications. The links I'm including here is one for piercing from Duke University and the NC state regulations on tattooing and the care and feeding of said tattoo from the Mayo Clinic. These people take this very seriously.

Now, moving away from your education. Everyone has an opinion on this subject but don't try to force yours on someone else.

All walks of life can get a tattoo. Yes, there are people that do their homework before heading into the world of becoming the canvas. Regardless of the connotation that having tattoos have led many to believe, there are many reasons people have them done. Would you consider a woman that beats breast cancer to a “[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]nimrod[/FONT] to want the world to know of her accomplishment? Is it wrong to want to keep the memory of someone extremely close to you with you at all times? I think not. The majority of tattoo on an educated person means something to them and if they don't when it is done, it evolves into something they would have never thought.

Educated people know what the are getting themselves into before they even walk into the artist's shop. They know that it is permanent. They understand the consequence and that they may be ridiculed at some point in their lives. They also understand the rules of gravity and aging.

It is the uneducated people that give tattooing and other forms of body modification a bad name. It is the do it your self-ers that are not qualified nor do they have the necessary equipment for safety. Thats where other uneducated people that think its evil or a fad get their information.

As a florist wanting to take the industry back from box companies and the grocery stores, you try to educate your clients on the “why we are better” front. Well, any old Joe can pick up flowers there just as any old Joe and go get a tattoo. But why get a work of art by a professional florist or artist when you can get it at Wal-mart cheap? Because its the same reasons we are crying for everyone to hear, if you want quality and service and something that you can really enjoy, go see someone who will get it right. Be educated.

Now before climbing up on soapboxs yelling at the world, get the facts worked out and see if you can see the other side of the fence. If not, then don't bother climbing up there.

Alicia

PS. I have tattoos, with meaning, and I love them because they are more then just skin deep.

Reactions: 1 person
well, I'm Not a posey popper. I'm a well respected floral designer.

I don't usually call people names. Not a very professional thing to do.
But if that's the level of intelligence one possesses, I suppose that's what you
have to do.

I also tend not to judge someone by their outward appearance.

Just because someone has tattoos (by the way every single person in this shop does)
or piercings doesn't automatically mean that person is a loser. Just because someone is fat does not mean they are lazy. Just because someone is beautiful doesn't mean they are happy. I could go on but I think my assessment of your character tells me you'll just find a way to degrade what I say or attack me personally. So I'm choosing not to.

I also know that some people like to attack others just to "get a rise" out of them.
Just to see how upset they can make the other person. Why? All I can conclude is that person needs to put down others in order for them to feel better about themselves or their situation.

So go ahead and attack me if you wish.

Neither

If thats cockney for a cross between a man and a monkey I'll have to say yes.

I only say that because when you say "refined English Girl" I don't know if you mean West End or not.

Manky means cross/irritable/argumentative so you'll need to answer again

As for refinement levels I was born in Surrey, live in SW London and so I guess you'd describe me as 'posh', my accent is more like the Queens (not quite so plummy but perilously close) than Katie Price.

Generally the West End is not particuarly refined. Cockney people say they are 'going up West' which means going into London to get lashed (drunk)/pick up talent (partners)

Wow some threads turn on a dime, huh?

My two cents......

I have always told my boys as they were growing that I wanted them to be good people, defend underdogs, get good grades, be honest, stand by their convictions, be loyal to their family and friends, contribute to their communities, and worship their mother! Although I would not have allowed them to do any drastic body decorating before the age of 18, I didn't care what they wore as long as it was clean, how long or short their hair was as long as it was clean, how they expressed themselves as long as it didn't hurt anyone else, what religion they explored as long as they believed in compassion, and what their opinions were as long as they were respectful. I only had the energy for what I considered was the big stuff. Sweating the little stuff like tats, or piercings, or clothes just a waste my precious time. Now my youngest has 3 piercings and one tat, the oldest wouldn't think of decorating his body, and I love 'em both.

There are children in other parts of the world that die of starvation. I am sure their parents would tattoo them all over their bodies to be able to give them a good meal.

Love it!!!

Theres virtually nothing some Posie Popper could say that would bother me, although this ominous sentence in Carrie's post:put a little chill in my doo-doo.;)

I know that actually I'm really well liked here as evidenced by some of my "Reputation Comments":

Seek Therapy. Terri

i wonder how much pain and money it will cost to get rid of you! Why don't you just go away if you think we are all so stupid?

you are a complete jerk

Stop beating your kids you monster (this made me laugh out loud, thanks it felt good)

quite rude

TJN- you seem to suck

Quit whining - Iggy

The only thing that bothers me is I usually don't have time to engage in these "lively debates" as fun as they may be, during the day. At night I'm usually watching the National Geographic Channel or LA Ink trying to further my understanding of tattoos and pseudonyms.

Thanks, TJN.

You have an obvious ability to spark debate.

Bloomz, Hero, Shannon, inferno63 & others take note.

We may have a new sh*t disturbing champion in our midst!!!!!!!

We take ourselves too seriously sometimes. I for one, will never take anything TJN has to say seriously again.

Everytime you post, I'll probably start laughing before I start reading!!
:>

Taking your posts for what they are worth, & remembering how much two cents worth really is...

:poke::alcoholic:rolleyes:

TJN what a horrible person you are. If I want to walk into a tattoo parlour and pick a purple dolphin to wear on my arm forever then I think thats up to me, its been there for 20 years and I dont regret it one bit. We are all entitled to our opinion but I really dont think there is any need to be so nasty, if you were having a dig at me to upset me then Im afraid my skins a bit thicker than that. I just feel sorry for you

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks, TJN.

You have an obvious ability to spark debate.

Bloomz, Hero, Shannon, inferno63 & others take note.

We may have a new sh*t disturbing champion in our midst!!!!!!!

We take ourselves too seriously sometimes. I for one, will never take anything TJN has to say seriously again.

Everytime you post, I'll probably start laughing before I start reading!!
:>

Taking your posts for what they are worth, & remembering how much two cents worth really is...

:poke::alcoholic:rolleyes:
Sparking debate is one thing, being mean and hateful for the sake of being mean and hateful is another. Telling people they are stupid and calling them names is no way to debate.

Wow some threads turn on a dime, huh?

My two cents......

I have always told my boys as they were growing that I wanted them to be good people, defend underdogs, get good grades, be honest, stand by their convictions, be loyal to their family and friends, contribute to their communities, and worship their mother! Although I would not have allowed them to do any drastic body decorating before the age of 18, I didn't care what they wore as long as it was clean, how long or short their hair was as long as it was clean, how they expressed themselves as long as it didn't hurt anyone else, what religion they explored as long as they believed in compassion, and what their opinions were as long as they were respectful. I only had the energy for what I considered was the big stuff. Sweating the little stuff like tats, or piercings, or clothes just a waste my precious time. Now my youngest has 3 piercings and one tat, the oldest wouldn't think of decorating his body, and I love 'em both.

While reading this I began to drift off to Bedford Falls, long before it became Potterville. The theme music from Lassie was the soundtrack for this Utopian journey. I was even getting a little misty (except for the part about "Sweating the little stuff like tats, or piercings, or clothes(sic) just a waste my precious time." did cause one eyebrow to arch slightly upward.)

My Mom, June, was just calling me down for supper when Inferno63 rudely woke me from my melancholy reverie when he jerked the wheel hard left (that'd be right to you Caroline Darling) into oncoming traffic with his closing paragraph:
There are children in other parts of the world that die of starvation. I am sure their parents would tattoo them all over their bodies to be able to give them a good meal.

Holy smokes Batman! What is THAT gibberish supposed to mean?

The Villiage Idiot..? Nah, more like the Village Wa nker..

Seriously .. this dude is getting off on this.

If you can't find any other form of entertainment maybe you should have a drink of red cordial and try to think harder....

Reactions: 3 people
The saddest thing is while he makes me laugh with all his ranting he probably could bring a lot of good stuff to the table. The shop looks great, I like the website but as you say seems to have a problem somewhere. But hey what do I know?
C

The saddest thing is while he makes me laugh with all his ranting he probably could bring a lot of good stuff to the table. The shop looks great, I like the website but as you say seems to have a problem somewhere. But hey what do I know?
C

You know enough to be astute in your assessments Carrie.

V

I have 2 tattoos & a piercing

Both of my tattoo's were designed by my husband for me, one at 25 and the other at my 30th birthday, still waiting for another design for my 35th birthday (which was last year...) But we've been busy, so I wait. The one for my 30th is a heart shaped stem of orchids - have always loved them and grown them for the past 15 years - and this was 3 years before we bought (or ever considered buying) the flower shop, quite serendipidous I thought. There are 3 orchid blooms open and we'll "open" another orchid on the stem every 10 years so the design will evolve and be added to. Other one is symbolic as well, and I love them both - have no regrets and never will.

Got the belly button pierced at 30 - an early mid-life crisis maybe, but it's cool and has never bothered me so it's still there.

IMHO tattoo's are a great vehicle for personal expression and art and I would not ask an employee to cover them at work. I'm pretty big on accepting people for who they are and how they want to live their life.

BTW - my hyper-conservative parents who forbade tattoo's or piercings (beyond the first one in the ears - that we had to wait until 13 to get pierced) BOTH got tattoo's after I got my first one. Had to take them to my tattoo artist in Phoenix and walk them through the whole process. Mom got a flower and Dad got the UC Bearcat logo tattoo'd on his wrist under his watch - so when he gets asked what time it is, he can say: "it's bearcat time" - which I find to be hilarious but you'd have to know my dad (or any crazy fan of their alma mater). This was also when Huggins was coaching UC and there was actually some good basketball to watch :wave:

Theres virtually nothing some Posie Popper could say that would bother me, although this ominous sentence in Carrie's post:put a little chill in my doo-doo.;)

I know that actually I'm really well liked here as evidenced by some of my "Reputation Comments":

Seek Therapy. Terri

i wonder how much pain and money it will cost to get rid of you! Why don't you just go away if you think we are all so stupid?

you are a complete jerk

Stop beating your kids you monster (this made me laugh out loud, thanks it felt good)

quite rude

TJN- you seem to suck

Quit whining - Iggy

The only thing that bothers me is I usually don't have time to engage in these "lively debates" as fun as they may be, during the day. At night I'm usually watching the National Geographic Channel or LA Ink trying to further my understanding of tattoos and pseudonyms.
Are these reputation comments or comments from your wife??

Seek Therapy. Terri

you are a complete jerk

Stop beating your kids you monster

quite rude

TJN- you seem to suck

Quit whining - Iggy

you've got some major issues - tattoos the least of them...

Are these reputation comments or comments from your wife??

Well Brad (by the way, thanks for using your name, or at least a name)

These are actually genuine "Reputation Comments". Please note I added a new arrival to the list. (you've got some major issues...)

But, as I peruse this list of comments I think my wife has said all of those things or very similar to me (and many others) in the 30 years that we've been together. (8 years of "going steady" and 22 years of marriage)

The only difference is instead of saying "Stop beating your kids you monster" she has said "will you get in here and beat the hell out of these kids"

Hey, thanks for asking!

BTW that sure is a snazzy looking Dragon you've got there. Very "Ming Dynasty" I must say. Maybe you could have some surgical tubing installed from your sinuses down to wherever thats located. Then you could smoke a cigarette and have the smoke come out of the dragons nostrils!

Don't laugh! Thats a darn good idea! I tell you what, I'll give you that idea, as a gift. You can tell your fellow Samurai it was your idea. No kidding, go ahead, I mean it. No arigato necessary.

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.